Too naive for this car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by DocRobin
I am not mechanically inclined.
You don't need to be to do a visual inspection.

You won't necessarily see any drips on the garage floor either. All it takes is an occasional drip to see some smoke coming off the exhaust system.

On an engine at ambient temperature and not running, run your fingers along the bottom edge of the lower valve covers; they should be bone dry.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Probably overfilled...

Andreas

I agree. Use the dipstick and keep it about half way up. Make sure oil is up to full operating temp before checking. Gauge may be inacurate.

Also, as others have said the valve cover gasget may be dripping on the exhaust. Not a huge problem to fix at your indie shop or dealership.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 PM
DocRobin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So does this means it's overfilled?

You guys are great! I realize this isn't the most fascinating thread, but I really appreciate the help

I took it for a brief spin today (bearing in mind Steve's advice), just enough to get it up to temp (and get the smoke to reappear). Oil gauge registered at about 2:00, but the dipstick level was at the top of the twist or just a hair above.

Is that enough to give me an answer, or is time to call my guy? I'm afraid discussions about valve cover gaskets are over my head (she admits sheepishly).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes Robin, that is overfilled. If it is over the twist, and not excessively warmed up, you probably just past the border. I'd call your guy and have him take some oil out. Does the person have a reputation for knowing Porsches, or are they learnin' while earnin'?

Quick Reply: Too naive for this car!