993 Forum 1995-1998

New aero package

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
First observation is that the interior rear view mirror is almost useless.
A pair of GT2CS risers will solve that problem, guaranteed. Perfect vision rearward. Mr. D knows how to fab them.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front configuration is fixed for any of the above cars, but the RS/CS, GT2 and RSR all have adjustable wings

changing the rear will also affect the front

drag also changes as the rear changes

so it just depends on what you are looking for

for me the ess's on the back straight at WGI are sort of intimidating I would like the car to have more grip there, but am ok w/ the front grip so want to add a more rear grip at the expense of some drag(the car is not hp limited)

so the RS/CS wing adjusted to 9* leaves front lift at 40#s where is was w/ the RS front but changes the rear from neutral to having 160# of down force

If that is unbalanced then 6* would reduce the front lift and drag and reduce the rear down force to 120# which looks like a nice compromise and may be why Paddy wants to try that, I may change my mind too.

The whole point is that the aero has to be balanced as well as the spring rates, wheels/tires, sways, suspension setup etc. and having individual control of each piece is a plus

repeat the process until happy w/ the aero balance
What if you put canards in the front bumper ala RS 4.0? According to Preuninger that's the reason thy put it because of the increased downforce of the new rear wing?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM
zechunique
Racer

Excellent point, camlob; and great comments Bill.

Honestly, my question is mostly about the impact of not replacing the touring splitters with a taco, because I have heartache over the fact that I just added them recently (to match the RS touring spoiler that came from the previous owner). I had thought of adding "dive planes" but I'm not sure who makes them, what they look like, and if that's even better in the end.

Following Bill's table through, I'm not completely sure some of the numbers make full sense to me, and wish I had more technical data on these elements to fit it all together. Comparing the basic Carrera to the touring RS, why is the front lift going up? While I'm not surprised that the spoiler is eliminating most (if not all) of the rear lift, it would have to be generating actual active downforce in order to increase lift on the front, which is very surprising to me because it is not a wing, it is a spoiler. Or else the front splitters are actually adding lift themselves instead of improving the situation (?)

Further, if the table is accurate, then just looking at it logically, it seems that running with the RSCS wing along with the RS (touring) splitters, I could get as much lift in the front as around 90 to 100 lbs! (at very high speed and full attack.) I'm not sure that's worth trying, and I am a little concerned about being right or wrong here. Is the RSCS front taco really providing 40 to 50 lbs downforce? (comparing the RS touring front to the RSCS front)

Sorry to be so fixated on this, but I'd like to understand it better, if anyone can help...

Anyone have actual tech data on these comparisons?

Last edited by zechunique; 05-08-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd say diveplanes are part of an entire package. Meaning that just because they are part of 997 based racecars, doesn't mean they will be as effective on a 993 body.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by zechunique
E..... Comparing the basic Carrera to the touring RS, why is the front lift going up? While I'm not surprised that the spoiler is eliminating most (if not all) of the rear lift, it would have to be generating actual active downforce in order to increase lift on the front, which is very surprising to me because it is not a wing, it is a spoiler. Or else the front splitters are actually adding lift themselves instead of improving the situation (?)

Further, if the table is accurate, then just looking at it logically, it seems that running with the RSCS wing along with the RS (touring) splitters, I could get as much lift in the front as around 90 to 100 lbs! (at very high speed and full attack.) I'm not sure that's worth trying, and I am a little concerned about being right or wrong here. Is the RSCS front taco really providing 40 to 50 lbs downforce? (comparing the RS touring front to the RSCS front)

Sorry to be so fixated on this, but I'd like to understand it better, if anyone can help...

Anyone have actual tech data on these comparisons?
any change in back will also affect the front, this isn't 100% the correct way to think but add up both ends of the car to get an idea of the overall efficiency of the package
for the base 993 the total is 87, for M002RS its' 40, for M003RS it varies from -27 to -120

canards are a possibility but it would be much easier to add a plane splitter under the front, that area is perfectly flat and is begging for one

I'm sure that M002 front w/ M003 rear isn't the most efficient package but i don't see it as something to worry about either. You could also remove the 3 chin spoilers(if you have them) and install plane splitter to increase efficiency
Here's an example of a 993RSR w/ an extremely efficient aero package, both the plane splitter in front and the rear wing are very efficient
Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the orange wheels. Looking good Bill.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...First observation is that the interior rear view mirror is almost useless...
Indeed... I've adjusted it so that I do see something but it ain't much...

Originally Posted by bb993tt
A pair of GT2CS risers will solve that problem, guaranteed. Perfect vision rearward. Mr. D knows how to fab them.
That's something I've been pondering also but somehow without RSR flares, haven't had the ***** to get them.

...canards are a possibility but it would be much easier to add a plane splitter under the front, that area is perfectly flat and is begging for one...
I've been looking for canards and already bought a large piece of stainless steel to make a plane splitter underneath as it would be very easy to install, but anyone have any source for canards?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
That's something I've been pondering also but somehow without RSR flares, haven't had the ***** to get them.
Then you KNOW what to do.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Then you KNOW what to do.
He knows what to do.....
Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sheesh guys... Like I didn't know how would suggest and what...
Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Won't know till I get to the track.

First observation is that the interior rear view mirror is almost useless.

My car is already pretty light, the RS/CS on a c/f lid is 29#s compared to 20#s for the RS on a steel lid. IMO a fair trade off for the increased downforce
LOL
The combo of the roll bar and the horizontal wing blade definitely limits the rear view.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM
camlob
Pro

any change in back will also affect the front, this isn't 100% the correct way to think but add up both ends of the car to get an idea of the overall efficiency of the package
for the base 993 the total is 87, for M002RS its' 40, for M003RS it varies from -27 to -120

canards are a possibility but it would be much easier to add a plane splitter under the front, that area is perfectly flat and is begging for one

I'm sure that M002 front w/ M003 rear isn't the most efficient package but i don't see it as something to worry about either. You could also remove the 3 chin spoilers(if you have them) and install plane splitter to increase efficiency
Here's an example of a 993RSR w/ an extremely efficient aero package, both the plane splitter in front and the rear wing are very efficient
That splitter looks like it will do the job But on my roads, it will probably last a few hrs. I will try and have some customized canards made. The thing is, I will have to drill my bumper to install them. Some say use double sided tape, but if it does provide 40lbs of downforce(according to Preuninger), how can double sided tape last?

And its funny when I read the latest EVO on the Zonda RS, they say their canards are for the air turbulence that the front wheel creates. So who is right?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Bill, any thoughts or updates on your wing settings?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Bill, any thoughts or updates on your wing settings?
I've been using 6° & 9° pretty happy w/ either
Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

When running the wing at 6° do you feel that it understeers more?

Quick Reply: New aero package