Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New aero package

Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Bill. From my perspective, I was able to feel the downforce immediately. Well I came from stock
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

looks fast!.. and it is I bet will be more planted to the track with the orange wheels when you race her there this summer, the new aero body parts will increase the cars downforce and it doesn't look half bad. I love the entire oem body kit, enough to find and paint those parts for my 993, I want to honor the 993 RS is gloss black.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Here are the factory aero #s
Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking good Bill! It seems we did the same mods over the winter.

What wing angle do you plan to run at the Glen?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Here are the factory aero #s
So, if I'm reading this correctly ... the Rs wing appears to be causing 40 lbs of front end lift v.s. 0 for the stock wing when it's extended... that's not good is it? I'm assuming that the front splitters are designed to eliminate some of that ... do you know what the numbers are for that and a comparison to the RSCS 'Taco Shell' front splitters?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paddy
Looking good Bill! It seems we did the same mods over the winter.

What wing angle do you plan to run at the Glen?
For a chicken like me, 9*
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
So, if I'm reading this correctly ... the Rs wing appears to be causing 40 lbs of front end lift v.s. 0 for the stock wing when it's extended... that's not good is it? I'm assuming that the front splitters are designed to eliminate some of that ... do you know what the numbers are for that and a comparison to the RSCS 'Taco Shell' front splitters?
Each is a full f/r spoiler set, take the #S w/ a grain of salt as there are lots of variables in play from ride height to tire choice to the way the suspension is setup.

Any change at the rear also affects the front

one last issue is that the data come from disparate sources, the RS and RS/Cs data are from the same factory source and are directly comparable but the data sets from the others was pulled together from several sources, again all factory but the measurement metric is unknown and may not be directly comparable

That said I erred when I copied the data from my main aero ss when I didn't adjust the reference cells properly

Good thing you guys are paying attention.

Here is the correct data, afaik
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

For a chicken like me, 9*
I too take these number w/ a grain of salt. Like Bill said so many variables, but I've tried to replicate ride height, spring rates, and Motorsport diff to help with balance.

I'm going to try 6* at VIR and see what happens. I'm hoping the car will be rock solid up the esses and I can carry more speed into turn 10.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Each is a full f/r spoiler set, take the #S w/ a grain of salt as there are lots of variables in play from ride height to tire choice to the way the suspension is setup.
Again, yeah.

Back in '99 or '00, a friend got one of the first Cup cars. Set up by the local, knowledgeable pro race shop from our area. We're down at Willow, so it's all about stability through T8 and getting through T9. Though I would have killed to have driven the car, no go. But the owner is having a helluva a time with the car, compared to his much-modified 993 4S that was also there. I was in my '92 C4. He's basically running the same speed as me through 8 and 9, so we quickly figure it's a whole lot more than any learning curve.

VanOverbeck was either there, or due to be in, but he took one look at the wing angle when he got there and pretty much laughed. Wing angle was at full attack. Again, per the pro race shop that was due to win Daytona and Le Mans in another year or so. Crank that sucker back to near zero, and do a little lead follow. He's comfortably on my *** one lap, then he goes around and eases off it so I can hang with him our next time through 8 and 9. Except this time he's about halfway up the front straight by the time I'm exiting 9.........

Wish we had data on that car, but it was a bit premature. And that car got wrecked a couple of months later when the track manager of Thunderhill was gifted a drive. The replacement Cup he bought, no one under pro level drove that thing.

Anyway, no doubt real wings/aero work. Just have never seen my own data really show me anything for real with stuff that's not way up in clean airflow. Another for instance was what Radical found when they eliminated the air scoop on the SR8--something like 50% more effective, versus the SR3.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

What a great place! It is threads like this that keep me coming back.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM
zechunique
Racer

Bill, Ken (and anyone else who understands this characteristics table...)

Are you saying that the RSCS should be started at 0 or 3 degrees and gradually adjust systematically?

Maybe with the table, and your understanding, you can answer something for me?

I bought an RSCS wing, but (at least presently) still have the RS Touring splitters on the front. How ugly is the balance going to be at the track this way, and does that drive a recommendation for particular angle of attack (conservative) for the rear wing - unless I replace the splitters with the taco? I obviously don't want the front end getting too light, but haven't noticed any problems at highway speeds - at least so far.

I am not sure of the meaningfulness of the fact that the RS (touring) entry of the table has 40 and 0 lbs of lift in the front and back (respectively) and the RSCS also has 40 in the front, and -160 in the rear at full attack. Do these values represent the individual contributions to the overall moment on the car, or is the 40 on the front the net result of the front aero component with the rear component already added to it?

I'm not even sure if what I said makes any sense there...

Thanks!

Last edited by zechunique; 05-08-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
lopro
Banned

interesting aero info. thanks for posting this Bill.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 311 Likes on 138 Posts

Bill......you gonna be selling your RS wing?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zechunique
Bill, Ken (and anyone else who understands this characteristics table...)

Are you saying that the RSCS should be started at 0 or 3 degrees and gradually adjust systematically?

Maybe with the table, and your understanding, you can answer something for me?

I bought an RSCS wing, but (at least presently) still have the RS Touring splitters on the front. How ugly is the balance going to be at the track this way, and does that drive a recommendation for particular angle of attack (conservative) for the rear wing - unless I replace the splitters with the taco? I obviously don't want the front end getting too light, but haven't noticed any problems at highway speeds - at least so far.

I am not sure of the meaningfulness of the fact that the RS (touring) entry of the table has 40 and 0 lift in the front and back (respectively) and the RSCS also has 40 in the front, and -160 in the rear at full attack. Are these values independent contributors to the overall moment on the car, or is the 40 on the front the net result of the front aero component with the rear component already added to it?

I'm not even sure if what I said makes any sense there...

Thanks!
The front configuration is fixed for any of the above cars, but the RS/CS, GT2 and RSR all have adjustable wings

changing the rear will also affect the front

drag also changes as the rear changes

so it just depends on what you are looking for

for me the ess's on the back straight at WGI are sort of intimidating I would like the car to have more grip there, but am ok w/ the front grip so want to add a more rear grip at the expense of some drag(the car is not hp limited)

so the RS/CS wing adjusted to 9* leaves front lift at 40#s where is was w/ the RS front but changes the rear from neutral to having 160# of down force

If that is unbalanced then 6* would reduce the front lift and drag and reduce the rear down force to 120# which looks like a nice compromise and may be why Paddy wants to try that, I may change my mind too.

The whole point is that the aero has to be balanced as well as the spring rates, wheels/tires, sways, suspension setup etc. and having individual control of each piece is a plus

repeat the process until happy w/ the aero balance
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJT
Bill......you gonna be selling your RS wing?
probably not, i'm a natural born pack rat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New aero package