Sponsored by:

Front windshield, replacing seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 PM
fnfn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front windshield, replacing seal

The lower left corner of my outer seal has come off some 8 inches. It does not attache to the inner seal, so I can see the window frame. So, it seems like I have to replace both the inner and the outer seal? Can those be bought separately? A mechanic told me the whole window also need to be replaced as the inner seal is bonded to the window. Is that true? Has anyone had same issue?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

The front window 'seal' (actually more of a trim piece) snaps in to a plastic channel that surrounds and is an integral part of the windshield assembly. Unless the channel is cracked and broken you should be able to use a soapy solution and press the seal back in place. The seal has an 'arrowhead' on the underside that goes in to and locks in the windshield channel.

The plastic channels on the rear windows crack and break easily and I believe this is due to engine heat. Not a problem with the front, so give my suggestion a try first.

If the channel is broken and the seal won't stay, it can be glued back in place with windshield adhesive or an industial adhesive like Pliobond. This takes patience and is a finesse job, trust me.

The last resort is to replace the window in order to get a new plastic channel. It doesn't sound like this should be necessary at this time.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Yup! inter-seal is a liquid/glue made from a form of neopreme glue. The outer seal is placed on the windshield prior to installation. then taped in place for several hours. At least that's how mine was installed.

Don
Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Sounds like I got riped unless the seal was part of the "kit" they installed. So far no leaks or squiking.

Don
Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Don,

I've never heard of the outer trim (seal) being glued to the w/s prior to installation. Was OEM (Siglia) glass used? The 'inner seal' (trim) is rubber and surrounds the w/s on the inside along the vinyl interior trim.

The 'glue' you are talking about is the adhesive that bonds the w/s to the car body frame.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

The outer trim seal was affixed to the windshield prior to installation "no glue". The windshield says Pilkington (made in Germany as an OEM) I was told that it was not aftermarket. Hmmm...makes me wonder. I had it installed by the local Safelite dealer. Insurance paid all but my deductable. It is a factory tint.

Don
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Dpn,

Got it. They snapped the trim seal into the plastic channel before putting the w/s in place.

Quick Reply: Front windshield, replacing seal