993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT Witnessed Motorbike Crash Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012 | 03:01 PM
tarbender
Instructor

Been riding for almost 30 years and always wear a full-face helmet. Been down 4 times on the track and countless times on the dirt trails. I just wouldn't feel right without one. Was in the U.S. a number of years ago and going through a State with a no helmet law. My buddy took his off and strapped it to his bike. There was a stretch of twisty road where we started to open it up and he found himself in a bit of a tankslapper going at 70 mph. He was able to control it but scared the ****e out of him. He always wears a helmet now.

Remember ATGATT if you ride - All the gear all the time.
Old 05-01-2012 | 03:10 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

When I had a bike - I took safety very seriously. It's always less safe then racing among beginners during a HPDE.

I have seen a few accidents - none involving head injuries because they were wearing a helmet and it kept them from cracking their skulls open.

Helmet - Check
Riding Jacket w/ Kevlar patches - Check
Boots - Check
Riding Gloves w/ Kevlar - Check
Riding Pants w/padding - Check

Always wore it - no matter how short the ride nor how hot it was (in Florida). I was OK if I broke a bone - they heal. But being brain damaged or losing skin - no thank you.

After my bike was stolen -
I always wanted another one...Then I got a Porsche....
Old 05-01-2012 | 03:24 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
It's how they need to be to do their job. ...
Yes I understand that they need to be like this to perform their jobs on a continuous basis. I was fine until it was all over. I'm okay today but the young rider isn't. Its just a reminder to me that life can change quickly so appreciate it and don't take needless chances with safety.

Quick Reply: OT Witnessed Motorbike Crash Tonight