Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MaxJax - Column Placement w/ engine drop in mind (balance)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:50 PM
bstrutton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MaxJax - Column Placement w/ engine drop in mind (balance)

In preparation for my impending engine drop, I'm finally getting around to insalling my MaxJax. I have a question about column placement specific to maxjax or more generalized but relevant experience with other two post lifts.

I obviously know that I can purchase additional anchors for additional flexibility in different column widths but if possible I'd just as soon choose a setting that works for everything. The widest suggested spacing is supposedly 130" outside to outside edge and that's what I'd like to do.

I'm trying to figure out however what if anything needs to be considered regarding the balance of the car on the lift during an engine drop. Being rear weight biased what ARE the considerations for how to place the car on the lift during an engine drop and what implications does that have on arm extension, column width, etc?

For the record, the other vehicles in the mix are a Grand Cherokee and probably a Jeep Commander in the near future.

Thanks for your insight. I just don't want any suprises with the car on the lift when I go to drop the powertrain.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest going as wide as you can, one of the biggest challenges is getting in and out of the car when you are putting it on the lift. There is plenty of extension range on the arms of the MaxJax, that shouldn't be an issue.

**** However, do NOT plan on leaving the car on the lift for more than a couple of hours without installing the safety bars on the MaxJax, the lift will fall (very slowly).

Personally, since the holes for the safety bars are only positioned at the 1/2 and full height position and I rarely leave it that high I use my Esco Jack Stands under the lift points. The bottom of MaxJax arms rest directly on the jack stands, this works very well for extended stays on the lift.

I have even lifted the Cayenne on the MaxJax (5500 lbs) but as soon as I got the tires fully off the ground I placed the Esco Stands under the arms and lowered the lift down to rest on the arms.
The Cayenne was fun getting on the lift, once it was positioned correctly relative to the lift I had to climb into the back seats to get out of the car.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are 132" apart (outside to outside) and the front arms are almost fully extended. as for front to rear, the car is pretty darn stable, but you may want to put it more towards the middle to compensate for the lack of engine/tranny once it's out. I usually put mine 60% towards the rear for normal service (since the car is 60/40 towards the rear).

Quick Reply: MaxJax - Column Placement w/ engine drop in mind (balance)