993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch Slave & Master Cylinder Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Clutch Slave & Master Cylinder Replacement

I bought my 993 with the annoying and well known "grawk" sound that most of us are familiar with when activating the clutch. Worse yet was the uneven, almost stepped action when engaging the clutch making smooth starts more difficult. A simple fix which did not alter my buying decision.

This past winter I finally got around to replacing the necessary parts. I chose to go with OEM Porsche parts sourced from Sunset.

Along with a new clutch hydraulic hose and a complete pedal assembly rebuild (cleaning, new pedal bushings and re-greasing), clutch action is whisper quiet and ultra smooth. A highly recommended DIY with results that will put a smile on your face.

Brake fluid used was ATE Super Blue and flushing/bleeding was performed with the aid of a Motive Products Power Bleeder, both sourced from Pelican Parts. I modified my Power Bleeder to make using it in the "dry method" easier.

Not a DIY set of instructions, but plenty of pics with some tips.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:57 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Wow! I need to keep this thread handy for next winter DIY. Thanks Alex.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

mine is at the "grawk" stage, but with no difference in pedal throw. Early in the season it is noiser, than after repeated use. It is my DD afterall.

The pedal bushing rebuild is definately in my future. For now, considering the occasional noise, I find that I can eliminate that annoying "grawk" completely...by simply increasing pressure on the Fister Stage III pedal on driver right.

Thanks for the write up Alex, it's a beauty.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Alex,

Great writeup and excellent pictures! I will reference this when I replace my slave cylinder. Thanks.

-bruce
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pictures. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome Alex!!!

I have replaced the Master Slave Cylinder a few years ago but need to get back in and do the pedal rebuild and the Clutch Slave cylinder - nice project for the next winter.
I will reference your DIY.

btw - what camera used?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write up, Alex.

But my clutch finally stopped grawking.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jo-hans
btw - what camera used?
Canon S95. It replaced my Olympus C-5060 which I still have.

Whatever I buy needs to have a wide angle, down to at least 28 optical. And it needs to be compact since I am on the road for 5 to 6 weeks in a row on my motorcycle while on tour in the Alps. There is nothing like an SLR, but by the time I'd bring a few lenses, my top case on the motorcycle would be full.

Considering its size and small lens, its not bad, and we all know what makes a great camera...its all in the lens, so I can only expect so much.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rinty
Nice write up, Alex.

But my clutch finally stopped grawking.
Many suggest flushing the hydraulic fluid which I did back in the summer of 2010 hoping to avoid having to replace all the bits I just did. Unfortunately, new hydraulic fluid didn't do the trick.

What I did find in my clutch slave cylinder after I took it apart was a lot of black creamy substance along with the hydraulic fluid. In comparison, the clutch master cylinder was as clean as can be. I'm wondering if the black creamy substance in the clutch slave cylinder was due to deterioration of the attached hydraulic hose that is immediately upstream. By the way, the piston and bore of the old clutch slave cylinder looked new. Go figure!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Nicely documented.

Asking a photographer which camera he used is like asking a mechanic which wrench he used.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:16 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Alex,
In addition to the nasty "grawking" noise during clutch travel, how often did the pedal hang on the way back up? Mine hangs once in a while during the last inch of travel. I haven't noticed any more ever since I performed the complete brake/clutch system flush 3 weeks ago. Still, it doesn't mean the hanging issue won't return. I will definitely keep this thread for next winter DIY. Thanks
Nam
Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Alex,
In addition to the nasty "grawking" noise during clutch travel, how often did the pedal hang on the way back up?
In almost 3 years of ownership, I've read about it a lot, but it is one issue I have not experienced yet.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many suggest flushing the hydraulic fluid...IXLR8
I had that done, and my tech said that gummy bears came out.

I think the grawk will return when our weather gets hotter.

Considering its size and small lens, it's not bad...IXLR8
We just had an image from a Lumix point and shoot converted to an 11 x 14 Gallery Wrap. The resolution was just fine. The current crop of point and shoots are amazing.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

After my 993 passed its PPI, I was driving it back to the dealer when the clutch pedal went all the way to the floor and stayed there. Pumping it got it to work, and the dealer flushed the system. I thought maybe the master or slave cylinder needed replacing, but some 2000 miles later the clutch continues to work smoothly.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:47 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Super write-up and pictures, Alex. I always enjoy your technical posts--extremely detailed and well-written. You are an asset to this forum.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave & Master Cylinder Replacement