Sponsored by:

Oil Leak...Need ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
So now my indie tells me that if i place the engine tray back on, I could have a fire from the oil burning on the exhaust or heat exchangers or something....I have a hard time believing that. Any thoughts.
Huh? Know how many POS 2.7L cars I had the "pleasure" of working on when they were in the wheelhouse of pulled studs/massive leaking? Let me recount all the fires. Uh, none.

Who are these guys running these shops? (And conversely, who are the guys running the shops like the other one mentioned who does major work for parts at cost + 1/3 labor? Someone wander up in your life and offer you similar, do you bite?)
Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been driving my 993 with a oil leak. Enough to get some on the rear bumper and smoking when stopped in heavy traffic. Regarding the smoking issue, just turn on the heat, air will flow in the heat exchangers to cool them down and smoke will stop. Ok, it will get hot in the cabin...

Decided to replace the valve cover gaskets myself, and while at it, doing a plug and sparkplug change also. After removing the engin tin, the upper valve covers were leaking making the mess.might have the chaine cover gaskets to attack also but for now upper & lower should do it.

And yes, I did get a teardown and reseal offered when i had to visite the shop for a torn CV boot. If i was to go there, i'd get the engine cleaned and put some UV dye to detect the leak before putting a hole in my wallet.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Main reason, is improved air flow and cooling.
I found this on Pelican

Anyone have any Opinions on running with or with out it? I have a 1996 C4S. Thanks"

"After reading many threads here and there, I have removed mine for the following reasons:

-Local wrench agreed.
-Will not collect dripping oil and disguise potential problems.
-Will not trap heat and theoretically keep engine temps lower.
-Will not dampen sound. Supposedly one of the reasons it was added was to comply with Swiss noise limits. I happen to like the noise.
-Lowers weight.

That's all I got."

"When someone like Steve Weiner says it is a non-needed accessory, I'll take that to the bank instead of other opinions one may see online. Some seem afraid to get out of bed in the morning."

Quick Reply: Oil Leak...Need ADVICE