Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil Leak...Need ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't crack open the engine until you NEEED a top end rebuild for the valve guides.. and by then you should have 4x the amount of miles on the car (hopefully).. think a lot of advice we get from shops is instantly to re-build.. my last track inspection commented on oil leak coming from the head gasket and to get a top-end.. it was just my chain covers leaking and I need to go thicker oil+tighten the bolts. It also scares a lot of people that top ends are the only $$$ solution.

Keep driving 'em, just keep adding oil

phil.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Thats what Harley Davidsons do.
Well, I do run V-Twin 20W50 in the turbo!

And I'm getting new LVC's put on, both sides, next month.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
In 30 years of ownership our mechanics have never worried about small oil leaks nor have they recommended immediate fix. wait until it is a problem, or you have other needs that warrant "while you are in there" fixes.
Exactly. One would have to define what is considered a leak, or at least the severity of the leak.

In nearly 3 years of 993 ownership, I have yet to see a single drop on my concrete garage floor (other than a spill due to a split filler tube ).

At the end of a driving season, a run of the hand along the bottom split of the engine will dampen my skin...hardly an oil leak.

My car is supposedly original, so I am wondering why my seals don't dry out during winter storage as other owners have had happen.

I haven't yet checked what the method used is for sealing the case halves. Hylomar comes to mind.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
And I'm getting new LVC's put on, both sides, next month.
Can I have the old covers?

And things have changed at HD some time ago. My friend drove his from Santiago, Chile to Canada. They don't leak...anymore, but it is fun taking a stab at them.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjr914
OMG!!!! A 911 that is leaking oil?!?!?!

1 quart oil to replenish the supply + cardboard to soak up the drips << $3500 re-seal + part$ + while I'm in there.

But a big +1 on the comment above about storage and seals drying up a bit. Monitor things while you drive her this summer, THEN decide what you want to do.

Blasphemy, but.....put the engine tray back on and it will catch most drips for ya...
I recently threw away the engine tray while moving. Anyone have a spare they want to get rid of?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

My leaks were so bad that oil was coating the back of the car when driven.

Btw, Suncoast no longer matches the price at Sunset. Check both places for the best parts prices...
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Exactly. One would have to define what is considered a leak, or at least the severity of the leak.

In nearly 3 years of 993 ownership, I have yet to see a single drop on my concrete garage floor (other than a spill due to a split filler tube ).

At the end of a driving season, a run of the hand along the bottom split of the engine will dampen my skin...hardly an oil leak.

My car is supposedly original, so I am wondering why my seals don't dry out during winter storage as other owners have had happen.

I haven't yet checked what the method used is for sealing the case halves. Hylomar comes to mind.
agree, not all leaks are equal. the 993 does not actually drip to the floor of the garage, I check it regularly. nor is my case completely dry either.

The SC would leave a drop on the floor now and then.

if it is coating the rear end with oil, then that is worth acting on.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
agree, not all leaks are equal. the 993 does not actually drip to the floor of the garage, I check it regularly.
Any oil that was leaking out of my 993 was coming from the lower valve covers till I replaced the rubber seals.

That oil, although not pooling, would work its way along the sides and into the inner jacket of the heat exchangers (sorry no pic), but they were oil coated with grime inside. Little wonder cabin heat smelled of eau de Mobil 1. The innards of the heat exchangers were thoroughly cleaned...issue solved.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Our 993 sat for a few months due to my needing a new knee and unable to use the clutch. It developed a nasty leak - oil on the garage floor, etc. On advice from this group, I ignored it aside from, upon startup, to make sure that the oil level was ok.

After a few drives, the leak stopped and it's remained stopped now that we're back to regular driving. I pass the info on FWIW.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

wow...when it rains it Pours. I just noticed that when I turn the AC on, I get cold air from the vent on the left side (drivers side), and hot air from the middle vents and right side (passenger side). Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

Someone told me that they put some cat litter in the undertray to absorb oil. Also when I first got my 993 I had a timing chain cover leak that used to drip onto the heat exchanger and cause a lot of smoke. A bit of tinfoil folded over and made into a "V" shaped gutter directed it away until I had a chance to fix it.

Berni
Old 04-28-2012, 11:38 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

So now my indie tells me that if i place the engine tray back on, I could have a fire from the oil burning on the exhaust or heat exchangers or something....I have a hard time believing that. Any thoughts.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

what are the reasons that people remove these trays?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
what are the reasons that people remove these trays?
Main reason, is improved air flow and cooling.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM
manila3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried looking at the oil sending unit thru the fan with a good flashlight for leaks? it normally does that sort of leak when over filling the engine with oil. It also leaks on one of the valves of the vario ram.
The tray is like a diaper but also leaks like a diaper.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak...Need ADVICE