Yoshinoya
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man sorry to hear about this, at least you are safe. They will get theres
Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Travis, this totally blows! Luckily you were not hurt and the car can be repaired....but still no fun at all.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am sitting here with 4 estimates in front of me, and there's quite a delta between them, primarily between the estimated labor hours (low end was 20 hours, high end 60 hours). Two thought the fender should be saved, the other two said replacement wasn't an option to rule out due to the hours involved fixing the original. The other fender has been replaced already so the body is already partially unoriginal, for whatever that is worth. Anyway is there anything I should be looking at in particular or are the estimates even anything that should be considered when choosing a shop?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TravisB
So I am sitting here with 4 estimates in front of me, and there's quite a delta between them, primarily between the estimated labor hours (low end was 20 hours, high end 60 hours). Two thought the fender should be saved, the other two said replacement wasn't an option to rule out due to the hours involved fixing the original. The other fender has been replaced already so the body is already partially unoriginal, for whatever that is worth. Anyway is there anything I should be looking at in particular or are the estimates even anything that should be considered when choosing a shop?
Travis, sorry to hear about your accident.

If the car already had the other fender replacement, then I would say go with the replacement and request the body shop to replace it with a factory/OEM fender.

Besides the estimates, maybe consider checking with the Better Business Bureau for the business rating. I, sometimes like to see what kind of cars they have in their shop and what kind of equipment/paint shop they have. Hopefully, they have good, enclosed paint booth system with their own paint mixing system (for better color match).

Good luck with your decision.

Bruce
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I assume you have single stage paint (others will correct if wrong). If yes how did the shop propose to match the paint and blend it in. If you have single stage and they want to clear coat I would say they are not your shop...not enough eye for the details in my mind. What type of paint are they using (you can get the original details off the car)? Also how will they repair the metal...bondo or ?

Quick Reply: Hit and Run