Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is manual conversion a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 AM
jamesh
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is manual conversion a good idea?

I live in Hong Kong where most 993's are Tip and it's very hard (and expensive) to find a manual. So, no surprises that my '94 993 is a Tip...

She's great but still I find myself dreaming of a manual. Then my mechanic mentioned that converting to manual is a relatively straight-forward and reasonably priced option.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience or thoughts on this. Is it a good idea? Any downside?

Any advice much appreciated!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesh
I live in Hong Kong where most 993's are Tip and it's very hard (and expensive) to find a manual. So, no surprises that my '94 993 is a Tip...

She's great but still I find myself dreaming of a manual. Then my mechanic mentioned that converting to manual is a relatively straight-forward and reasonably priced option.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience or thoughts on this. Is it a good idea? Any downside?

I know of one person on here, and one in HK who has done it. I have a PDF with all the parts that is required.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 PM
jamesh
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
I know of one person on here, and one in HK who has done it. I have a PDF with all the parts that is required.
Thanks Trinitony - any chance you could PM me the PDF?

Best,

James
Old 04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really...who is your mechanic? I am also in HK and sold my MY94 993 cab partly because it was a tip (and also because it wasn't being driven much) I had considered converting it to manual (as well as installing a supercharger) but it seemed to be a lot of work and cost...not only getting hold of a tranny but also needing an ECU, etc.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:13 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Gembella has converted numerous 993 Tips to manuals at around HKD100k per conversion, which ironically, is about the market price difference between a tip and a manual 993 in the second hand market. Like what David said, I do not believe a transmission conversion is a simple and a straight forward swap.

Last edited by GT9111; 04-22-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellence recently ran an article by a guy who had done the conversion to a 964, and it was a formidable project.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

give me u email address and I will send it to u tonight. A conversion is documented on here; do a search on Adrienne and Hoggel (sp). He did a sex change between his C4S and her C2.... He doesn't recommend doing it in the USA since so many manuals r available..
Old 04-22-2012, 03:10 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

"Is manual conversion a good idea?" I can't say what you should do. Given that you are in HK, I don't know what it would cost you verses the availability of a MT car. In the US I would say it is definitely not a good idea!

As Trinitony said, I had this done to my car. I thought I understood what it would take. I carefully estimated the cost verses selling and buying a MT car. I decided to do it thinking that it would cost about $5k more for me to do the swap. I thought the $5k was worth it because I wanted to keep 'my' car and I didn't want to deal with selling my car and then looking for another AR/black C2S. Some unexpected 'stuff' drove the cost way over my estimate. Check out these two threads:
tip to manual
woohoo!

I think it would have cost me $10k-$12k USD for the necessary parts. I paid about $3,600 for labor (not including the manual to tip swap in the other car) and believe the mechanic made no money on the job.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

I have heard that manual conversion jobs have hard clutches, i dont know if thats true. It might be better to sell it and re buy a manual car.. The difference in price youll pay is probably what the job will cost you. I know for BMW 3 series (an intro car) costs around 6k for the job so Im going to assume for a porsche its double that..
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If this conversion done in HK, forget it. You never satisfy as it never feel like a factory one. The cost always go deeper and deeper. Keep the tip and enjoy it. tiptronic is a good stuff that fit HK situation if you fully utilized it. And also the conversion make your car value . All mechanic in HK are only aim on earning. Step back and look clearly. Use the funding to maintain the car in top-notch condition is much more worthy.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gaby1088
I have heard that manual conversion jobs have hard clutches, i dont know if thats true. It might be better to sell it and re buy a manual car.. The difference in price youll pay is probably what the job will cost you. I know for BMW 3 series (an intro car) costs around 6k for the job so Im going to assume for a porsche its double that..
The challenge is that there are very, very few manual 993s in HK - I have seen less than 5 (excluding Turbos and RS)...FYI many of the better 993s (incl RS and Turbos) were shipped off to the UK and Oz a few years back.

IMHO, I would only convert a 993 tip to manual if I was going to keep the car for a long time AND if I were going to do something special to it...install a supercharger, send motor to 9M for a Speedster conversion or install 4.0L motor ( ). Otherwise, if it's impossible to live with a 993 tip then I think it's better to sell it and pick up a 3.3L 964 Turbo for a bit more.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:44 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

[QUOTE=
IMHO, I would only convert a 993 tip to manual if I was going to keep the car for a long time [/QUOTE]

I would disagree. If you you are going to keep the car a long time originality matters. Converting from tip to manual would lower the value.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember what the Rasta Gourmet says, "No, no NO no!"

Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 AM
jamesh
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by David in LA
Really...who is your mechanic? I am also in HK and sold my MY94 993 cab partly because it was a tip (and also because it wasn't being driven much) I had considered converting it to manual (as well as installing a supercharger) but it seemed to be a lot of work and cost...not only getting hold of a tranny but also needing an ECU, etc.
Hey David, nice meet another HKy here - it's Gemballa. They mentioned casually around $US 2,500 for the kit / parts and $US 2,500 for the labour.. But but from what others have said below sounds like this could be a "teaser" and costs would escalate..

Originally Posted by GT9111
Gembella has converted numerous 993 Tips to manuals at around HKD100k per conversion, which ironically, is about the market price difference between a tip and a manual 993 in the second hand market. Like what David said, I do not believe a transmission conversion is a simple and a straight forward swap.
Thanks GT9111 - sounds like the final cost is much higher. In which case, maybe I should save up for a turbo or something which is already a manual!

Originally Posted by Rinty
Excellence recently ran an article by a guy who had done the conversion to a 964, and it was a formidable project.
Thanks Rinty

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
give me u email address and I will send it to u tonight. A conversion is documented on here; do a search on Adrienne and Hoggel (sp). He did a sex change between his C4S and her C2.... He doesn't recommend doing it in the USA since so many manuals r available..
Thanks Trinitony - will PM YOU my email.

Originally Posted by hoggel
"Is manual conversion a good idea?" I can't say what you should do. Given that you are in HK, I don't know what it would cost you verses the availability of a MT car. In the US I would say it is definitely not a good idea!

Thanks hoggel - sounds like definately not a good idea in the US. in HK, there hardly any 993s. Desperate measures!

As Trinitony said, I had this done to my car. I thought I understood what it would take. I carefully estimated the cost verses selling and buying a MT car. I decided to do it thinking that it would cost about $5k more for me to do the swap. I thought the $5k was worth it because I wanted to keep 'my' car and I didn't want to deal with selling my car and then looking for another AR/black C2S. Some unexpected 'stuff' drove the cost way over my estimate. Check out these two threads:
tip to manual
woohoo!

I think it would have cost me $10k-$12k USD for the necessary parts. I paid about $3,600 for labor (not including the manual to tip swap in the other car) and believe the mechanic made no money on the job.
Many thanks

Originally Posted by gaby1088
Ok, thanks

Originally Posted by power_up
If this conversion done in HK, forget it. You never satisfy as it never feel like a factory one. The cost always go deeper and deeper. Keep the tip and enjoy it. tiptronic is a good stuff that fit HK situation if you fully utilized it. And also the conversion make your car value . All mechanic in HK are only aim on earning. Step back and look clearly. Use the funding to maintain the car in top-notch condition is much more worthy.
Thanks power_up - I think this answers my question. You are right about HK mechanics!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

I am certain that this conversion is 100% bolt on, so why wouldn't it feel the exact same as any other factory 6 speed?

OP, if you are going to do it; I have a ECU, pedal cluster,drive shafts, master and slave off a 55,000 mile 96 C2 I would sell to get out of the garage for a thousand. Add a gear box/clutch/FW and you will save a few grand.

In the USA I would say, sell it and buy a 6 speed; But in HK it would make sense.

Quick Reply: Is manual conversion a good idea?