993 Forum 1995-1998

Intermittent start problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
rwm
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Intermittent start problem

A couple of months ago I was running some errands. When I came out after a few minutes my car, 97 993, would not start. It would crank but not start. Called AAA for flat bed. After about 20 min. Tried it again and it fired right up. No probs until today. Drove into my garage and a few min. Latter it would not start. Waited an hour still no start. Any thoughts?

If it does not start in the morning I will call AAA. Any service recommends in St. Louis? RWM
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm actually having the same problem with my 97. If you get out and "jiggle" the positive battery cable it usually solves the problem. My car has an aftermarket dealer installed alarm and stereo. I suspect these are the problem
Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

It could be that stupid clutch safety switch at the base of the pedal cluster. Could be out of adjustment or faulty. Do a "search". Plenty on the subject. On second thought, I'll take that back. If it were the clutch switch, you'd get no cranking...just instrument lights.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by rwm
Any thoughts?
DME relay is a quick test if you carry a spare as most of us do. You can temporarily bypass it with a connection from 30-87-87b.

If that is the problem, they are easily repaired in minutes.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:56 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had similar problems: car would not re-start after sitting ~5 mins, but would re-start after 15 mins or more. Aggravated by hot weather.

Replaced fuel pump and filter (fuel pump was also making a loud buzzing noise). Result: better, but not fixed.

Replaced crank position sensor. Result: fixed

- Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

My '98 C2S has this issue sometimes. It usually happens when the engine isn't warmed up. I may cause it accidentally by releasing the key at initial start-up just before the engine fires. Thereafter it cranks but doesn't fire at all until it sits for a while. I got two new fuel pump relays but removing/reinserting or swapping them doesn't always work.

I've scheduled a diagnostic visit with my indie next week. Hopefully, it's something simple like the CPS. I'll post results.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
rwm
Advanced

Looks like I am going to flat bed car for service. Any st Louis people have experience with Reid vann. You can email me direct if there is any concern about posting online. rwm@att.net
Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 AM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same issue last year on a 96... tried DME... no good...It also got bad on hot days, especially after AX...

Check the ground strap from batter to body... they frey... but for me it was just the starter. Not a fun job, since you basically have to reach around with both hands around the tranny, while lying on the ground.. The top bolts are all feel..

Good luck.. bet its the starter...
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
rwm
Advanced

Flat beded the car to the local P dealer. DME was shot. $275.00 have a nice day! Thanks to all who replyed RWM
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rwm
Flat beded the car to the local P dealer. DME was shot. $275.00 have a nice day! Thanks to all who replyed RWM
The DME relay was shot, right, not the actual DME? A DME would be about $2K.

So, the dealership (either Kirkwood or Creve Coeur) charged you about $200 to install a $65 dollar relay. This takes about 90 seconds to do.

Anyone who owns or recently purchases a 993 should almost reflexively, replace the current DME relay with a new one, and still carry a spare in the passenger's side pocket. Wish I had 2 years ago.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM
SQK993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

98 c2s Just had my AC evaporator replaced an I dont know if related having some serious similar problems, car was running fine and all of a suden (two ocasions) the thing quit and would not start till aprox 10-15 minutes later. On that incident at highway speeds even tried to start it by engaging de clucht with the ignition on but the thing seemed like it was having a mayor electrical failure. On the second event it quit at a stop light, once it started the Fuc... imobilizer light was flashing. I kind of rule out the Fuc... imobilizer because why would the stupid thing kick in after the car is running fine???? on both ocasions the car would crank but it seemend like there was no spark on the engine. I am scared to use it serious troubleshooting headed my way. Any guides would be welcomed ( Ihave found several threads to start with. Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rwm
Now that you have a new one, did he give you back the old one which can be fixed in minutes to better than new condition?

Simply installing a new relay that has issues to start with, will only fail for the same reason one day. And it isn't the contacts that fail; its the sub-standard solder joints on the board. All it takes is a few minutes with a soldering pencil. I re-soldered both my old and new relay.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM
SQK993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sh... no i did not now that, I did see it and it looked preaty beat up, Oh well. I will look into the Board and its joints.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
rwm
Advanced

Yes, it was the relay. No I did not get the old one back. Is this going to be a reoccurring issue? RWM
Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rwm
Yes, it was the relay. No I did not get the old one back. Is this going to be a reoccurring issue? RWM
Short term, probably not, and if you carry a spare as you should, not an issue.

But I'd find a local RLer who knows what they are doing as far as soldering properly is concerned and re-solder all connections on the circuit board, even on the new relay.

Go back and ask for the old relay. That'll save you the cost of getting a new one as a spare. Open it up, inspect the contacts and if they are fine, just re-solder the board contacts. I bet it'll be more reliable than a new relay.

Quick Reply: Intermittent start problem