Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default TPC Wiring Question

Hey all,

I am working on wiring up the TPC unit and have a couple of questions for those who have been down this road....

The wiring is figured out except for the wires for:
1. MAF
2. crank negative
3. crank positive.

Any idea exactly where these go?

Thanks.

Marc

(p.s. oh yeah, some of the wire colours from TPC were wrong. ).

Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They splice into your dime wiring harness. What are you looking for? Pinout for the Dme 55 pin connector?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

No. DME pin out is at the top of the diagram (pins 7, 37, 47, 48).

There are wires at the bottom of the wiring diagram that I think go to engine bay and there are ones labelled crank pos, crank neg, and MAF. Unichip modules are on right of diagram

Thanks,

Marc
Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 AM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
No. DME pin out is at the top of the diagram (pins 7, 37, 47, 48).

There are wires at the bottom of the wiring diagram that I think go to engine bay and there are ones labelled crank pos, crank neg, and MAF. Unichip modules are on right of diagram

Thanks,

Marc
Actually, then are not wired in at the engine bay. They are actually spliced into the wires at the DME harness.

For example the crank sensor, cut the crank sensor wires near the DME harness connector. The end that comes in from the engine bay connects to the uniq wires shown at the bottom of the page. The end that goes to the DME connector goes to the tpc wires shown at the top of the page. Does that make sense?

Be VERY careful splicing the crank sensor. Keep and don't destroy the wiring shielding. That shielding actually goes to ground. Otherwise, you'll have lots of running problems. The crank sensor generates a very small ac voltage which can pick up inteference easily. Hence the shielded wiring.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, thanks.

I guess I misunderstood the layout of the TPC drawing as I assumed all the wires heading off the bottom of the page were in the engine bay.

So really, only ground, power, and injector neg/pos are connected in the engine bay.

I was planning to put the Uni-Q module under the seat by the DME and have the T-module in the engine bay so the boost line is very short and therefore more responsive to pressure changes (rather than have a 10' vac line running to under the seat from the engine bay).

My revised wiring drawing is attached - this makes more sense to me but does this make sense? I see just 4 lines running through the firewall and I just have to look up the pin numbers for MAF and crank neg/pos on the DME.

Thanks for the help.

Marc

<deleted>

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 04-29-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: wrong and misleading
Old 04-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by axl911
Actually, then are not wired in at the engine bay. They are actually spliced into the wires at the DME harness.

For example the crank sensor, cut the crank sensor wires near the DME harness connector. The end that comes in from the engine bay connects to the uniq wires shown at the bottom of the page. The end that goes to the DME connector goes to the tpc wires shown at the top of the page. Does that make sense?

Be VERY careful splicing the crank sensor. Keep and don't destroy the wiring shielding. That shielding actually goes to ground. Otherwise, you'll have lots of running problems. The crank sensor generates a very small ac voltage which can pick up inteference easily. Hence the shielded wiring.
Oops - so do you mean the crank neg/pos is not actually a pin on the DME but rather a separate wire than leads to the DME and is accessible near the DME/DME plug?

Is the MAF connection the same - not a DME pin but rather a wire near the DME/DME plug?

Marc
Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

So that would make the wiring more like this:

<deleted>

Thanks again,

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 04-29-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: wrong and misleading
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM
axl911
Drifting

Yeah something like that. I don't even run the power and ground wires to the engine bay. Tap the power at the power lead from the DME relay pin where the DME actually gets its power. Also use the same ground point. Or use the ground below the seat.

This is imporannt...you want to tap power and ground where the dme draw power and ground from.

So in reality....nothing goes to the engine bay except the two wires which connect to the 7th connector. Everything is tapped at the dme or nearby.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
axl911
Drifting

I placed my TModule inside the rear quarter panel underneath the rear window since I did not want the Tmodule in the engine bay. My boost line is about 2 ft. But you should make this as short as possible.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM
axl911
Drifting

Can't read the diagram, what does all the pin label at the DME?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks.

I thought about putting the t-module under the rear window but, if I ever needed to get to it, the seats, harnesses, and roll bar would have to come out so not very handy. That is why I decided to put it near the driver's side fuse box (near the coils).

Pin labels on the DME of my drawing are 37, 7, 47, and 48.

Marc

Quick Reply: TPC Wiring Question