Sponsored by:

Cracked spoke on my FM-10

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:55 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Cracked spoke on my FM-10

I recently bought a set of FM-10s used and after getting new tires on them, I was giving them a thorough cleaning and discovered a crack on one of the spokes (see photo below) that I did not see prior to this. Called Alan at Fikse, who was helpful, and I'm getting set up to replace the center (for $425) in a few weeks, hopefully.

My question is, how common is this? I'd be interested to hear from others who have experienced or seen similar failures.

Thanks,

Rob

Name:  IMG_1374.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  652.4 KB
Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Under the original ownership, Fikse were top quality race wheels for many years. But I heard of cracks and customer service issues towards the end, around the time that original company was going under.

I am sure the new owners will make things right - and it sounds like they are doing so for you.

Keep in mind these are really track wheels, and like any of the others (BBS Motorports, Forgeline, CCW, Jongblood, etc.) they do require regular inspection as they all may eventually crack under hard track use (or punishment on the street).

But they're good, strong wheels - no doubt.

Best,

Matt

Whether the failure was a quality issue
Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Rob,

Fikse makes excellent wheels, however none of them last forever when subjected to heavy track use on DOT-spec tires or slicks. This isn't uncommon at all and all part of buying & owning such things, regardless of manufacturer.

One thing I always recommend before buying used modular race wheels is having them Zylow'ed to see if any cracks are present. This procedure doesn't cost much and the results should be factored into the price.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Agree that they are excellent wheels; I just wanted to see how common/uncommon this was.

This wheel was made Feb 2001, according to manufacturer, so well before they "reorganized".

Thanks for the tip Steve. Not familiar with this process but will look into it. Is this something I could find on the dry side of the Cascades, or is it typically only available in urban centers like Portlandia or Pugetropolis?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Yasek
This wheel was made Feb 2001, according to manufacturer, so well before they "reorganized".

Thanks for the tip Steve. Not familiar with this process but will look into it. Is this something I could find on the dry side of the Cascades, or is it typically only available in urban centers like Portlandia or Pugetropolis?
The telling factor here is that those wheels have been in service for almost 12 years and one cannot know how many track or racing miles are on them during that period. I'm never surprised to find cracks in wheels that old.

There are folks who do this in Seattle, Portland, and I'm sure, Spokane. You should see who provides "Non-destructive testing" in your area. Zyglow is whats used to crack-test non-ferrous metals, as Magnaflux is used for ferrous ones.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

With the amount of curb hopping we do, I'm shocked wheels hold up as well as they do.

Who remembers those old, non-drop center BBS modulars? Either they were the worst, or I had a couple of customers who were unlucky.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:36 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

My question is, how common is this? I'd be interested to hear from others who have experienced or seen similar failures.
A coworker has Fikse wheels that he bought from Fikse for his 330 Ci shortly after he bought the car new. They do not see any track use.

He has had one (or more) center(s) replaced and the replacement has since cracked again.

He spoke to the company which is under new management and was told he is out of luck.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Ten years ago, Fikse built a good part of their reputation for taking care of cracked wheels, even if they had seen track usage. That incredible commitment to customer service was one of the main reasons I chose to run their wheels and boost them whenever a thread on wheels popped up on the 993 board or the racing board.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Ten years ago, Fikse built a good part of their reputation for taking care of cracked wheels, even if they had seen track usage. That incredible commitment to customer service was one of the main reasons I chose to run their wheels and boost them whenever a thread on wheels popped up on the 993 board or the racing board.
My coworker also stated that customer service was top notch, at least with the original owner of the company. Mind you, it is unacceptable for a wheel to fail in everyday street use...he does not drive hard. That aspect of ownership disappointed him.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Originally Posted by IXLR8
A coworker has Fikse wheels that he bought from Fikse for his 330 Ci shortly after he bought the car new. They do not see any track use.

He has had one (or more) center(s) replaced and the replacement has since cracked again.

He spoke to the company which is under new management and was told he is out of luck.
When you say he is "out of luck", I assume you mean for a free replacement. I don't know how realistic this would be, but Alan was responsive to selling me a new center and getting it to me as quickly as possible. I'm not real happy about having to spend $425 to get my wheels back on the road, but I'm way happier than not being able to use them.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

When you say he is "out of luck", I assume you mean for a free replacement.
That is correct. His first cracked center was replaced free while Fikse was still under the original owners. The second center that cracked recently would not be replaced, and this is under Fikse's new ownership. (BTW, he told me it was taken over by new owners...I don't know if that is true or not)

Quality control / design problems happen and if his center that cracked the first time is due to that, that might be accepted...things happen...so fix the problem and it shouldn't happen to the replacement he was given. But it has.

Considering that his wheels aren't abused, if this was a production wheel that was offered on a manufacturer's vehicle, the NHSTA would likely issue a recall.

He loves his wheels (so do I; they are absolutely gorgeous) and the top notch service he received in the past (he boasts about it), but he would not buy another set from them at this point.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't think twice about another pair of Fikses.

Alan has gone the extra mile for me twice and I appreciate everything he has done. My wheels are exclusively tracked and have held up well.

Poor Alex just can't seem to find a single source or product which meets his over exacting expectations.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
Poor Alex just can't seem to find a single source or product which meets his over exacting expectations.
They're not my wheels; they belong to a coworker and he was just relating his recent experience around the break-time coffee table.

I have a lot of things that meet my expectations, those that don't, I don't buy.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Considering that his wheels aren't abused, if this was a production wheel that was offered on a manufacturer's vehicle, the NHSTA would likely issue a recall.

Quite right. That's why Porsche has not offered a light, forged wheel since 1989. Production of truly lightweight forged wheels has been passed along to the aftermarket for the most part.

Lightweight forged wheels are very strong - to a point. Most are designed for smooth tarmac or for "track only", and can work great if you have a thorough inspection regimen.

There is a cost to saving 2, 3, 4 or 5 pounds of unsprung weight per corner. Tough to build an extremely light wheel that will be more durable than a much heavier comparative.

Consider, if you badly bend or crack a cast wheel, you discard it and move on. A modular forged wheel can be refurbished - a $400 Fikse center is not a bad deal, really. On that basis, replacing bent rim halves should only be a few hundred dollars. At least they are serviceable. Same reason I chose BBS Motorports wheels...

Best,

Matt
Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should also check with rennlister 'thatcher' he has a bunch of wheel parts including centers for very reasonable prices. I paid way less than $400 for a fikse center I needed a little while back.

Quick Reply: Cracked spoke on my FM-10