Sponsored by: DashLynx

My FIRST Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My FIRST Porsche!

I have posted questions several times and have had a great amount of help, thank you all! I picked up my first driveable Porsche last weekend down in West Virginia from a fellow Rennlister. It needs a few things and I am working on the list (having a blast while doing it!) Here are a few pictures, I have no idea how big these are going to be (can someone tell me how to shrink them to a reasonable size?) So far I have installed the RS motor mounts (I was just told I should install the reinforcement as well) and polished the center tail light piece (looked like someone had clear coated it?) I also installed a K&N air filter (kind of a pain really, that airbox is a bit tight on space) I have a LWF and RS clutch package coming next week, Goldenrod shift link and short shift kit. I was also just informed I should replace the transmission mount with a stiffer one since I did the RS engine mounts. Monday it gets new rubber on all corners and a alignment/suspension reset at Blair Talbot. I plan to install the clutch next week (dropping the transmission, shaft and front differential rather than the engine) 60k service was done and after crawling around under it today, everything looks good except the rear main seal. I ordered transmission seals just in case. On to the pictures!

1996 C4S 64k miles, midnight blue on tan.
Attached Images      
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is beautiful with the aerokit wing and midnight blue (one of my favs)! Welcome to the slope. I have to say that the FS flywheel clutch with motormounts will absolutely transform your car. Be careful with the K&N I have heard that it can corrupt your AirMass Meter.. What suspension do you have? It looks lowered already. It also looks like you are used to having a wrench in your hand. That is good ($) Also, it is comforting (I hope) that you purchased from a fellow rennlister. Post your impressions as you get your new 993 set up.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Already sliding down it, and gaining speed!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

NICE! Welcome to the mayhem!

I've seen posts that are less than favorable to the K&N filter for our cars...do some searching here. I've still got one in my car, but will be pulling it as soon as I run out of the cleaning kit solution I've got. Its much easier to swap paper filters and there seems to be no cost benefit to the K&N due to the cost of the cleaning kit (and the filter itself, but it was already on the car when I bought it). I've not heard that the tranny mount needs upgrading with RS motor mounts. I didn't stiffen the motor carrier when I did RS motor mounts 2 years ago, but I probably will whenever I drop the motor for other stuff. Can't imagine it to be fun to remove with the motor in the car...

Originally Posted by jhg41977
plan to install the clutch next week (dropping the transmission, shaft and front differential rather than the engine)
Are you doing the AWD-ectomy (delete)? or dropping them just to install all the new bits without pulling the motor?

I picked up my first driveable Porsche last weekend.....
This warrants asking....what prior NON-drivable Porsche did you own? This sounds like a good story...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Keeping thne awd. I just don't want to connect all the wires etc with the engine pull. Trans pull maybe more work, don't know. Someone had posted they did it this way, so I figured I would try it.

Previously I had bought a 72 911T basket case. I stripped it down to rlswiss cheese (found some rust). I was still planning on fixing it and had collected all the parts for the body, but life got busy and after a year of sitting stripped to bare metal I decided it wasn't the right time. I sold it as a lot on Pelican. My wife is very forgiving of my car habit! She probably likes that this one is drivable.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

there was also the 914 that I picked up from craigslist. I intended to take parts from it to sell and fund my 72. I removed the targa top just in case (the car was RUSTY!) and since it was good and might be worth something, I didnt want to damage it. We dragged it up onto a friends trailer. After loading it, my friend decided to open the door. The car promptly folded in half. The door missed closing by an inch or two. Yup, RUSTY. But it had a decent condition RS wheel on it and a few other odds and ends. Ended up putting a couple hundred in the 72 fund.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

ABCar, it is lowered. On Bilsteins with HR coils. I do not think it is set up correctly, that is getting adjusted Monday. I do not know much about suspension and geometry yet, so I will leave that to someone that does. Mechanical items such as motor mounts, clutch, seals etc, I can handle that stuff. Troubleshooting, I am in need of assistance. Ordered a set of shop manuals from Pelican, should be here Monday. That will help with a lot of how to questions I will have.

K&N filter, guess I should have checked that out before buying it. It was a pain in the **** to get in there dammit!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulations. Beautiful 993.
chuck
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

WOW.... I'd call that a GREAT first Porsche, waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than what my first Porsche was..... Not that there was anything wrong with a 944 <wink>.

Enjoy it. Drive it. HAVE FUN!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ABCar, it is lowered. On Bilsteins with HR coils. I do not think it is set up correctly, that is getting adjusted Monday.

So, suspension. I put my PSS10s on myself and drove it for a few days before getting to the alignment shop. I did ROW sport alignment and it really came alive. "LIGHT", "ALIVE", "PRECISE" is the best way I can describe it.

With the motor mounts and RS clutch/LWF your car is going to be a beautiful driving Porsche...Also, unless you are driving it really hard (track) it seems to be the consensus that reinforcing the engine carrier with RS m mounts is un-necessary, although couldn't hurt. I did not do mine, nor do I have the tranny mount. No problems so far!

It sounds like you are off to a good start...and RE the K&N...an easy undue, especially if you are in there already.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the color... oh thats right... thats what I have ;-).. Except mine is blue on blue..

I am doing my clutch in two weeks. I am going to drop the engine. Look at the chain covers/upper and lower gaskets... I also been reading about tranny only or engine/tranny, and looks like it actually might be easier to do both. Doing it myslef, so thats always fun.

Since I am dropping, I am also changing: plugs, rotors, power steering belt, transmission fork bushings, slave cylinder, as well as every bolt on the covers, and drop-links too boot...

Once thats done, as a next project, I am doing the goldenrod/ssk. The throws on the stock shifter are Soooooo long..

Hope to see you at Autocross @ Devens!!

Slippery slope... Ya!!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks great. Nice find.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great choice for your first (running) Porsche!
Very nice...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice...
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a pretty sassy introduction to Porsche ownership. Well done!

Quick Reply: My FIRST Porsche!