Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Would you actually expect the mechanic that has taken care of the car to criticize what he has done to maintain it? This is why you would never pay a mechanic who has serviced a car to do a PPI. Find a good aligment shop first.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest tires.
If yours are 5 years old, 6 at the very most, replace them regardless of tread left.
Some of the best money you can spend.
Gordo
Old 04-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

first and foremost, find an Indy in your area(that includes up to 100 miles away by the way)that knows these air cooled cars. Do not, DO NOT pick just any shop to attempt to align these cars. It takes special tools and knowledge to properly align these cars. When done right, the car will be pure magic.

Order up FOUR new tires, and get a proper alignment done. Chances are, if the rear-probably camber, was that far off, the inside of the fronts are chopped too. Start fresh with four, also have the shop check the front rubber control arm bushings...chances are they will find cracks in them. That's where the Walrod control arm bushings come in. Also, your motor mounts are probably shot, so consider getting some RS or Wevo mounts to replace them.

Do nothing, order nothing, until you settle on an experienced mechanic. Have the entire suspension system inspected, and identified.

Then-four new tires, Walrod bushings, and motor mounts. The car will be transformed beyond your belief.

Good luck...and you do realize that...............
this
Old 04-01-2012, 06:17 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Thread...
Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can an alignment be done (properly) without a kinematic tool? Seems like the porsche dealer is the only shop in my area that even knows what it is.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

What is a kinematic tool?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Sorry for double posts (in different threads) trying to be good and close out threads

Update
Got the reinforced engine carrier installed last night.

Still looking for a stiffer transmission mount, anyone have a link or name? I did not have any luck finding one for a C4S.

Removed the K&N filter, installed Mahle brand filter.

Corrected a few issues i found during installation of engine carrier. Mostly bolts and clamps that were missing or not tight.

Alignment and new tires at Blair Talbot. Blair is a super nice guy and very helpful. Toe was way out (or in?) the front of the rear tires were closer together than the rears. / \ like that. A lot. Went with Hankook Ventus V12 evo tires all around. The car is MUCH MUCH better! Love it!

The RS clutch and lwf should be here friday. Cant wait to get tht done. For now, that is the last 'project' aside from general maintenance and clean up. I will probably begin removing the transmission thursday so I can get the clutch done before the weekend. If anyone has hints/tricks/etc let me know.

Thank you for all the compliments and thoughts!

Quick Reply: vibration at highway speeds