Battery Gone

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:15 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Yup, that is what it was, an Exide.

In fact, I believe the battery in my 1995 BMW coupe was an Exide as well.

I think they have issues with quality control.

BTW, the original battery that lasted 18 years (lost track of the new owner after that) and my present 13 year old daily driver are made by Panasonic in Japan. Luck? I think quality control has a lot to do with it, provided the car's charging system is up to snuff.
Hmm. I thought the Exide business was only the run made for my bike series. Apparently it was wider.

I never have had a DD because I'm on the bikes if the weather is reasonable, in the truck to commute or do work if not or in the P-car for recreational trips, etc mostly. Sometimes the bikes. I think the idle periods for each vehicle, even though I keep them on a Tender, shortens life.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
I think the idle periods for each vehicle, even though I keep them on a Tender, shortens life.
Plus remember the two things that affect the life of our SLA batteries: heat and vibration.

In your case, living in NM, your hot season lasts much longer than up north. That takes a big chunk out of the life of a battery. Hopefully your VR temperature compensates properly, otherwise, you're overcharging the battery as well.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Plus remember the two things that affect the life of our SLA batteries: heat and vibration.

In your case, living in NM, your hot season lasts much longer than up north. That takes a big chunk out of the life of a battery. Hopefully your VR temperature compensates properly, otherwise, you're overcharging the battery as well.
Actually our hot season isn't that long. People equate us with AZ which isn't correct due to our high altitude. For example, while this year is mild, the last two years we've have hard freezes in May and Oct meaning only 4 months of frost free in the year.

Our hot month is June with a bit of July. Under normal circumstances, we get rain regularly starting in July through August meaning that cools things down quite a bit. While 90 F is common, 100F is exeedingly rare.

Quick Reply: Battery Gone