Sponsored by:

993 dash lit like a Xmas tree

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
vince23
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 dash lit like a Xmas tree

My 993 2s has been parked - in a garage - since last Oct. Garage is not heated so can be somewhat damp during the winter. When I parked her up last year all was fine and certainly no warning lights.
With the first of the decent weather last weekend I initiated* my* first drive of the year. On start-up I have a whole raft of warning lights up plus the Speedo has stopped working. I did drive the car for a short while just in case of a damp/short circuit* issue that I hoped might clear. No lights cleared. The car drove fine and apart from all those lights I noticed no difference in response. I’ll book into a local independent to investigate but ahead of this does anyone have an ideas, or similar experiences, that my indicate the root cause. The car has been maintained regardless throughout the last 5 years despite v low annual mileage of 1-2k pa. All fuses are good as far as I can tell. I have not attempted to pull and re-seat relays.
For the record I have the following flagging up:
Speedo – no reading; Low fuel indicator(Yellow); Low washer fluid(Yellow); Central warning light(red); Brad pad wear (red) ( pads all good); Handbrake (red), Oil pressure (red) – I run 5 bar at 3k revs on gauge; Brake pressure (yellow) – brakes a good; rear spoiler warning(yellow); engine fan belt(red)
I have 2 thoughts re cause:
A number of relays have corroded/poor contacts from an extended period in damp garage over the winter
Rodents have potentially attacked some aspect of the loom and I now have some random short circuits?
Any other thoughts or suggestions I could try/eliminate before I hand my wallet over to the professionals?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

1 - check condition of alt & fan belts
2- measure voltage at battery with and without engine running

I almost sounds as if the short drive was sustained by a fully charged battery - but the alternator was not charging ( lost a belt or dead regulator). Start with the belts & voltages ...
Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Check the alternator belt.

Garth was typing faster ...
Old 04-08-2012, 07:45 AM
vince23
3rd Gear

My situation remains open and inconclusive. Some intermittent electrical fault?

I had the car booked to go to a local independent a week after original ‘light show’. Car laid up all week prior to its appointment. I started up the day prior just to ensure the fault was still present – it was. Started the car on morning of appointment and NO lights faulting. Drove for 20 mins to see if anything changed - it didn’t – all fine. Spoke with the indi and agreed to leave it for now. Car garaged for the week again and then driven following weekend - again all fine after 2 hours driving hard. Decide to clean/wax before putting away ( yes she’s a garage queen). On start up to roll into garage all those lights were back. Tried several on offs in garage and lights consistently faulting. Now I try again AM today ( next day & car hasn’t moved an inch) and no lights faulting.

I’ve checked belts. Battery and alternator outputs are fine (12.8V and 14.4V). Also confirmed with Porsche that my car has no outstanding recalls so any original loom rub issues I assumed fixed or not required.

Any ideas? Leaving with indi for a week or 2 await fault to re-appear looks like my next step?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the r11 relay, also my car did this recently when I threw an alternator belt, so agree with the above opinions.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:04 PM
milutintin
Advanced

Xmas trees in 964 are usually due to:

- Ignition coils
- Ignition wires
- Grounding points
Old 04-08-2012, 01:51 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member