Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Gear Noise with New LWF (not the rattle!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Loud Gear Noise with New LWF (not the rattle!)

I promise you all I have searched the subject. I am well aware of the rattling noise that occurs typically at idle with the clutch pedal out, this is not what I am talking about (I have also been in other Pcars with LWF's and I have never heard anything like it)

I just had a new sachs (heavy duty upgraded PP and disk) and Fidanza flywheel (14lb Alum) installed on my 96 C2 w/factory LSD ~53k miles. I get a very loud noise from low RPM all the way to around 3500 or so where it dies down a decent amount. You cant really hear it until you are going around 30 then all the way up...I have RSR's and the DACH cross pipe and this noise over whelms the noise of the exhaust, its LOUD.

I also get a ton of noise on deceleration with the clutch engaged at any RPM. I am hesistant to call it gear noise because people will think its just normal rattling, this is not what I am talking about..

Not sure if this helps but, I also had the RMS, Input shaft seal and shift fork seal installed while trans was out - they did not change gear oil apparently (but I did last year, never any noise)

I have it back at the shop but, they are taking their sweet **** time to look at it.

Any ideas?? Thanks!!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The low RPM acceleration noise I get, and yes it is quite loud. I was actually just plain shocked the first time I heard it with the windows down (did the install just as it started snowing here!). I find it funny how the idle rattle gets so much more attention than that does. When I was growing up my dad had this old F-150 with a 5-speed that would make the exact same noise at low engine speeds, I figure it's just harmonics that the old heavy flywheel used to dampen.

However I don't get any additional noise really during deceleration, so that I can't comment on..I wonder if it is fluid related, what are you running? I am using Redline 75-90NS...
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
cohare
Racer

I get the noise really loud, windows up or down, I also get it eqivalently loud as the loudest during acceleration during the decel.

I think I am running the Mobil 1 recommended gear oil for the LSD. I cant remember the weight but it does get a little heavy during the winter, the weight you listed sounds familiar but I cant be sure..
Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 97 cab with the LWF supercup clutch and I know what you're talking about. Especially in low rpm but somewhat high torque situations is when you hear it the most. The noise is very much in the background though. Dies down at around 3k. It's probably still there but you don't hear it anymore. So you know how much work the DMF will pick up all the time.
I find it interesting what some people come up with when they hear the idle rattle but some people know right away and give it the
I wouldn't worry about it but I'd check your gearbox oil level, just to make sure it's all there.
Enjoy your LWF.
Ed
Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
cohare
Racer

Originally Posted by EckFe1
I have a 97 cab with the LWF supercup clutch and I know what you're talking about. Especially in low rpm but somewhat high torque situations is when you hear it the most. The noise is very much in the background though. Dies down at around 3k. It's probably still there but you don't hear it anymore. So you know how much work the DMF will pick up all the time.
I find it interesting what some people come up with when they hear the idle rattle but some people know right away and give it the
I wouldn't worry about it but I'd check your gearbox oil level, just to make sure it's all there.
Enjoy your LWF.
Ed
Ed - thanks for your resopnse, you guys are starting to make me feel a little better.

Do you hear it on Deceleration as well (gets just as loud as the highest torque situations?)
do you know which gear oil you are using?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM
MDamen
Pro

I get a similar noise. I wasn't sure what it was coming from since I removed the engine sound pad when I did the LWF. I haven't driven with the windows down yet, but I can definitely hear it.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fidanza?? What were you thinking!

Now I know why none of the P-shops in the state will install a Fidanza LWF. The Fidanza is problematic I am told. Why did you buy it over a OE LWF? They are the same price.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Benton
Drifting

Well, my only thought is that your assembly could be out of balance. Harmonic vibrations can be pretty darn loud. Were the other cars you rode in with LWFs 993s or a similar 911 with a similar setup? I'd start crossing out the variables.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 PM
cohare
Racer

My shop is saying that it could be due to the fact that the center hub of the new clutch disk is unsprung it transmits the noise (along with the LWF)

Mike - you are saying you get it on decel as well?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:41 PM
cohare
Racer

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Now I know why none of the P-shops in the state will install a Fidanza LWF. The Fidanza is problematic I am told. Why did you buy it over a OE LWF? They are the same price.
SSHHiII*** are you serious? I had never heard anything bad about them. Problematic how?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by cohare
My shop is saying that it could be due to the fact that the center hub of the new clutch disk is unsprung it transmits the noise (along with the LWF)

I think this may be your problem if it's true. My disc was sprung and every other one I saw on DIY pages were as well. Did they order the wrong part by chance?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Manufacturing irregularities causing all kinds of problems like premature clutch wear(under 500 miles) noise, vibrations. Almost all of the things you have listed. I do not understand who would install a unsprung clutch disk with a LWF. That itself is problematic.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm. My thoughts on a sprung disk vs unsprung is that the sprung disk will take up some of the... uhhh... I've lost the word... transmission of sharp torque when making fast shifts. This should make it easier on the gearbox. Once fully engaged and driving, I would think there would be no difference in feel or sound. IMHO.

<edit> Upon further review, there may be a difference when fully engaged and driving, since the gear spline is positively attached to the clutch disk, and there can be no "play". Hmmmm. Never mind.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM
cohare
Racer

The shop said that all checked out, went out for a drive with the owner (reputable shop and long time professional Pcar driver) he assured me that its just added gear harmonics coming through as everyone described here... He assured me if anything was wrong they would fix it.

To be honest I think I bulit the noise up to be louder than it really is, it also seems to be getting quieter presumably as the clutch breaks i (or maybe my mind just built it up initally to more than it was)

so in short I feel like some what of a moron for making a big deal of it but, I feel better that they triple checked for me. I will pay close attention and make sure that its ok.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM
TravisB
Pro

Good to hear...and noises tend to be amplified greatly when one thinks it is a noise to worry about.

I will say, first thing in the morning when it is cold, my car is relatively silent. I've wondered if a heavier gear oil would help cushion things and shut it up (but the question then becomes, would the synchros like it..).

Quick Reply: Loud Gear Noise with New LWF (not the rattle!)