Sponsored by:

Door Pin Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 PM
boidranch
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Pin Switch?

My drivers side door interior light pin switch is broken. I found the replacement grommet and switch on pelican parts. How do I remove the switch? Is there a retaining nut on the back side, or is it just threaded into a boss?

Thanks for the insite.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Peel off the grommet to expose the black plunger and 'nut' of the switch. The switch is just screwed in to a captive nut in the door frame (nut and thread is one part, the plunger is free to move inside on a spring) so just put a spanner on the 'nut' and undo. The plunger part will rotate freely inside the thread so doesn't twist the wires as you undo it. There isn't much to 'fail' on this switch so you may find the wire has just come off the back. Now, fishing the wire out of the door pillar, that gets interesting.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 AM
boidranch
Track Day

Thanks you for the information.

I put a wrench on it briefly before heading off to work today, but I was unsure if it was captivated by a nut in the back. So I stopped until I had more time to look into it. As for my switch, it is actually broken on the plunger. When I peeled the grommet off, I was greeted with a free spring and a piece of the plunger. I am hopeful that the wire will still be attached to the remainder. I will see when the new part comes in later this week.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 PM
boidranch
Track Day

I had a chance to remove the pin switch today. It unscrewed just like Stewart said it would. And the back half of my pin with wire attached stayed inside the door jam. I got really lucky in that I was able to fish it out fairly easily with wire and needle nose pliers. I am just anxiously waiting for the new switch to arrive later this week, and another job will be complete.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
boidranch
Track Day

A quick lesson for others. When trying to solder the wire to the door pin swithc, watch you heat build up. I (being a beginner) did not relieve the spring pressure against the metal retainer that is crimped to the plastic plunger. So as I OVERHEATED the wire to the switch, the plastic plunger softened and the spring pulled it free of the crimp. I have ordered a new switch to give it another go.

Quick Reply: Door Pin Switch?