Yellow is hard to find!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPP
I believe that car is a tip.
Sneaky buggers... they don't mention Tip anywhere in the ad. I hate it when people leave out stuff like that!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
Sneaky buggers... they don't mention Tip anywhere in the ad. I hate it when people leave out stuff like that!
It's the way of the world ... once they have you on the phone though, they offer you a nice Black coupe or Silver Targa ...
Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by JPP
It's the way of the world ... once they have you on the phone though, they offer you a nice Black coupe or Silver Targa ...
Too true. Or they'll try to convince you that you really want/need a Tip.

I actually had a sales guy tell me once that the exterior color of the car shouldn't matter to me because I wouldn't really see it once I was inside the car
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

SNEAKY BUGGERS
Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
How difficult is it to find a speed yellow 993 coupe?

Let me answer that question for you…VERY DIFFICULT!!

After foolishly drilling down my wants, I have realized that the car for me(and apparently everyone else)is a speed yellow 993 coupe. If anyone hears rumblings of one for sale (no cabs, tips, or targas plz!) let me know. The two on autotrader are sold pending PPI, FYI(Sold in hours!).
There is a great one on e-bay right now.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM
MGibilisco
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$30k for a tip w/92k, I don't think so.

The TT on ebay is beautiful, but a bit past my budget I imagine.

I had decided to let the search rest for awhile and then I opened "Total 911" at B&N and saw the opening picture for the month...a SY 993rs on the old Brooklands circuit in England from a distance. DOH! Gorgeous!

I'll be patient and keep lurking, ready to pounce. The girl of my dreams was dating another guy when we met...I married her 3 years later. Things work out in the end.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
$30k for a tip w/92k, I don't think so.
Yeah, sorry about that...didn't know it was a Tip.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 AM
963K993
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this doesn't help your search, but this is probably as good a thread to tell my story as any. I stumbled on my yellow 993.

I spotted a tiny legal ad in our local paper for a sheriff's auction one morning while drinking my coffee. One of the vehicles being auctioned was listed as a "1996 Porsche". I never owned a Porsche but hoped to one day so I decided to swing by the towing yard where the auction was to be held during my lunch break. It took some smooth talking but I managed to convince the lady at the counter to take me back into the warehouse to see the car despite the employee only policy. The place was full of junk. Old furniture, building materials and car parts covered the floor. After navigating through most of the junk, she pointed to the far side of the building and said "There it is. Cover it back up when you're done".

Covering the unmistakable shape of a Carrera with a whale tail were old beach towels, blankets and rags. I wasn't expecting much but the mere shape of the car got my heart going. I went straight to the back end and lifted the dirty old Disney Princess towel and there it was "Carrera RS". I had no idea what an RS was. I continued peaking around and never took all of the rags off in fear of someone else seeing the car. The car was spotless. I got the VIN #, checked the mileage (41,500) and left being sure to tell the lady that it's pretty dangerous in the warehouse and she shouldn't have let me back there. All I had to do now was keep my mouth shut.

I got home that night, ran the VIN and researched "RS". Since the car had a sunroof, power windows and AC, it became obvious that it was an RS clone. KBB said it was worth $43,700 - about $23 more than I could afford for a toy. So I decided to go to the auction with $20K cash.

Me and 3 kids in their 20's registered at the auction. One kid bought a 328i for $13K. He said he couldn't afford a Porsche. Somehow, a rumor got started that there was a $41,000 lien on the Porsche. Having a car dealer for a buddy, I knew that wasn't true. We bid low and slow starting at $25 and increasing by $25. The last kid bailed out at $3K. I paid the cash, grabbed a receipt, slapped by buddy's dealer tag on the back and after fumbling with the lock-out, hauled @$$ before someone changed their mind.

When my wife got home, she had to park her Audi in the driveway where it remained for 2 years. She wasn't too happy at first but she got over it when I handed her the remaining $17K. The car now lives happily in it's own garage, terrorizes local streets on nice days and runs around the track a few time a year.

That's the story of my 96 3K 993.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 963K993
I know this doesn't help your search, but this is probably as good a thread to tell my story as any. I stumbled on my yellow 993.

I spotted a tiny legal ad in our local paper for a sheriff's auction one morning while drinking my coffee. One of the vehicles being auctioned was listed as a "1996 Porsche". I never owned a Porsche but hoped to one day so I decided to swing by the towing yard where the auction was to be held during my lunch break. It took some smooth talking but I managed to convince the lady at the counter to take me back into the warehouse to see the car despite the employee only policy. The place was full of junk. Old furniture, building materials and car parts covered the floor. After navigating through most of the junk, she pointed to the far side of the building and said "There it is. Cover it back up when you're done".

Covering the unmistakable shape of a Carrera with a whale tail were old beach towels, blankets and rags. I wasn't expecting much but the mere shape of the car got my heart going. I went straight to the back end and lifted the dirty old Disney Princess towel and there it was "Carrera RS". I had no idea what an RS was. I continued peaking around and never took all of the rags off in fear of someone else seeing the car. The car was spotless. I got the VIN #, checked the mileage (41,500) and left being sure to tell the lady that it's pretty dangerous in the warehouse and she shouldn't have let me back there. All I had to do now was keep my mouth shut.

I got home that night, ran the VIN and researched "RS". Since the car had a sunroof, power windows and AC, it became obvious that it was an RS clone. KBB said it was worth $43,700 - about $23 more than I could afford for a toy. So I decided to go to the auction with $20K cash.

Me and 3 kids in their 20's registered at the auction. One kid bought a 328i for $13K. He said he couldn't afford a Porsche. Somehow, a rumor got started that there was a $41,000 lien on the Porsche. Having a car dealer for a buddy, I knew that wasn't true. We bid low and slow starting at $25 and increasing by $25. The last kid bailed out at $3K. I paid the cash, grabbed a receipt, slapped by buddy's dealer tag on the back and after fumbling with the lock-out, hauled @$$ before someone changed their mind.

When my wife got home, she had to park her Audi in the driveway where it remained for 2 years. She wasn't too happy at first but she got over it when I handed her the remaining $17K. The car now lives happily in it's own garage, terrorizes local streets on nice days and runs around the track a few time a year.

Congrats! Go to be the deal of the century!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
963K993
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'm hoping to pick up a GT3 for around $5K.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:53 PM
speedy88
Banned

Thanks. I'm hoping to pick up a GT3 for around $5K.
If that happens, would like to offer $10K for it!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by red96m3
Congrats! Go to be the deal of the century!!! Thanks for sharing.
Lucky bugger!! Deal of the Milleniun, without a doubt. Why can't stuff like this happen to me. But I know that's all going to change come Fri when I collect on my lotto winnings......
Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 PM
speedy88
Banned

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Lucky bugger!! Deal of the Milleniun, without a doubt. Why can't stuff like this happen to me. But I know that's all going to change come Fri when I collect on my lotto winnings......
I will help you pick up the 500MIL, anything else buddy, boss? :-)

Back to the topic, I found my C4S after a year and a half. She is all detailed up and ready to go. Too bad, the weather has been so crappy in the last 3-4 days!
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Barn find! (sort of)

. . . I stumbled on my yellow 993.

. . .

So did you ever get the backstory as to how it ended up there and who the previous owner (owners) were? This is a great story, you should contact Excellence or PANO and share it in ink.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 AM
963K993
Rennlist Member

All I know is that the car was seized to settle a judgement. I don't think much was settled on this sale.

Last edited by 963K993; 03-31-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Yellow is hard to find!