Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stranded for the first time -- car would not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the battery on charger for the day and the car started! Feeling so dumb now So part of the problem is a weak battery. The weird thing is before I drove the car yesterday the car has been on battery tender for a few days already so I'm sure the battery is fully charged. Plus there is a lot of cranking power when I try to get the car started yesterday. It did at least a hundred crank without the sign of battery weakening...I understand load test might be a difference story though...Is there a chance that the battery is strong enough to crank but not enough to power the ECU and electronics??

Another thing is a weak battery shouldn't affect the engine cutting out while running right? I thought the alternator is providing most of the juice once the car started. So I suspect a second issue might be grounding problem. I plan to replace the the battery ground and the starter to transmission ground. Is there other grounding point I should check? Any other ideas? Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by hchc; 03-23-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My money's on the chip.
Your car won't stop when the car's running just because the battery is a bit down either.
Chip
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 PM
hchc
Instructor

Anybody knows where does #19 connects to?

19 993 612 609 02 ground cable

Its not for the battery ground nor the transmission ground...
Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you've got power to crank the starter/engine you've got enough power for the ECU.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:12 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hchc
Anybody knows where does #19 connects to?

Its not for the battery ground nor the transmission ground...
There is a ground strap from the back of the alternator to the engine case.

It bears repeating that these cars (OBD-1 & OBD-2) are VERY sensitive to system voltages and this means that the battery, ALL associated cables, grounds, voltage regulator & alternator must be in perfect working condition to prevent intermittent electrical ills.

I've learned this the hard way and to never, ever assume anything until thoroughly checked out.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

When is a good time to replace your battery? It seems a lot of times they go with no warning and leave you stranded.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 PM
hchc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
There is a ground strap from the back of the alternator to the engine case.

It bears repeating that these cars (OBD-1 & OBD-2) are VERY sensitive to system voltages and this means that the battery, ALL associated cables, grounds, voltage regulator & alternator must be in perfect working condition to prevent intermittent electrical ills.

I've learned this the hard way and to never, ever assume anything until thoroughly checked out.
is #19 replaceable by simply removing the plastic cover without removing the alternator?
Yes thats why I'm going to address all the ground cables.
They looks fine from outside but its original so probably time to change. I wouldn't drive the car now knowing that it would dies on me even with a new battery.
Also sent you a PM:-)
Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hchc
is #19 replaceable by simply removing the plastic cover without removing the alternator?

Also sent you a PM:-)
The alternator & fan assembly must be removed and pulled back to gain access to that ground strap. I would recommend having the alternator and VR tested by a local rebuilder to make sure both are functioning correctly.

PM answered,...
Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry Steve, I may have been misinterpreted. I meant if the battery has enough power to crank the engine over (as normal) it's got enough power to power the ECU. Doesn't mean there isn't a loose/bad connection somewhere in the electronics.

Quick Reply: stranded for the first time -- car would not start