Sponsored by:

993 Cabriolet top problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
tarbender
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Cabriolet top problem

I've already gone through the archives and searched this problem but need to ask another cab top question.

When I tried to put the top back up it would not lock properly. Top is almost closed but when I pushed the switch I just got a click sound from I guess the relay. Same thing when I tried to put the top back down. I tried using a phillips screwdriver to manually close the latch but have found that it should be a flat head so I will try this tonight. My question is that the cabriolet light fault on the clock is not showing which might mean that it thinks its closed. So do I need to first manually undo the front latch mechanism by turning counterclockwise first to set it to the open position? Then seat the top and turn manual adjustments clockwise to lock? Hopefully this will reset the mechanism somehow as others have suggested.

Also can someone point me to the link to convert the top to manual operation? I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:36 PM
NY32
Intermediate

I have had exactly this problem with my cab that I purchased about 4 month ago. I did lots of research and tried several things. I finally talked to an experienced mechanic who after a few questions said that the new top on the car was probably shrinking just a bit in cold weather. I was leaving it down for a couple of days at a time under cover--that is a no-no as it turns out. He said the setting on the top was not allowing the top to be forced down enough to overcome the slightly tighter top. I took it in and he fixed it in a couple of hours. It now comes down in front harder and I have stopped leaving the top down for long periods. Problem solved. This may not be your problem, but it is worth a thought.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
993 dude
Cruisin'

It sounds like it could be (at least) a couple of things.
The first is the mircoswitch which the roof presses down onto when closed which tells the roof control unit that the roof is closed. This can fail or go out of adjustment which would explain the latch thinking that its fully engaged and switching off the warning light on the dash.

But, the fact that it's not opening either suggests that it's the second possibility, which is the roof control unit which is a common failure (search for "roof control unit" - the fix is to reflow the board well described here).

Depending on how handy you are, you may want to take off the cover which conceals the latches, and swap around the plugs to the latches to do some fault finding. Just remove the black phillips head screws.

If it turns out to be the roof control unit, then please PM me - I recently used an exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable guy in Ca to assist with my alarm control & roof control units (the roof unit ended up being fine) and I couldn't recommend him highly enough (even though I'm in Australia and had to spend a fortune on UPS!). He is used by dealers for changeovers of electronics.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 993 Cabriolet top problem