Toddster
Rennlist Member

Good luck on the respray
Just think how much you will love the way it looks when it is done
Old 03-22-2012 | 11:06 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good call. As far as value, tastes vary. Some want all original, some want it to look the best.
Old 03-23-2012 | 08:46 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by osugasman
Well....it's at the paint shop. Should have it back in about one week. Will post "after" pics for all.
Good call Brian. Im sure it will be perfect. Nothing worse than having a car with an issue that draws your eye every time you look at it. I cant wait to see it!
Old 03-23-2012 | 09:06 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

In my experience, the paint shops that list in Area PCA publications tend to perform poorly. If I wanted a quality repair at a reasonable price, the last place I would look would be the PCA. Ask around, visit the shops and talk to the owner/manager. I have met too many crooks that are more than happy to provide ad revenue to a publication that will suck in unsuspecting clients. IMHO
Old 03-23-2012 | 11:05 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dudley
In my experience, the paint shops that list in Area PCA publications tend to perform poorly. If I wanted a quality repair at a reasonable price, the last place I would look would be the PCA. Ask around, visit the shops and talk to the owner/manager. I have met too many crooks that are more than happy to provide ad revenue to a publication that will suck in unsuspecting clients. IMHO
+993

Goes for anything to do with your car, cosmetic or mechanical.
Old 03-23-2012 | 01:22 PM
NY32
Intermediate

A good paint job will help the value. It would be unusual for a 15 year old car no not need some cosmetic paint work. If you look at Sports Car Market magazine you see 50 year old cars selling for very big figures that have been repainted. The issue is how good the paint job is. You should ask on this forum for recommendations in your area.
Old 03-23-2012 | 11:23 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by NY32
A good paint job will help the value. It would be unusual for a 15 year old car no not need some cosmetic paint work. If you look at Sports Car Market magazine you see 50 year old cars selling for very big figures that have been repainted. The issue is how good the paint job is. You should ask on this forum for recommendations in your area.
I think right now we are on the cusp for the 993...there are still some available with "pristine" paint...in another 5 years there will be very few...the BIG issue with a respray is getting a shop who knows what they are doing...unlike a top end or a transmission rebuild not a lot of agreement on who is VERY good at doing a complete paint job...the cost is very expensive compared to a top end or transmission overall. If you are going to do it spend a lot of time on researching how it is done and who to use.
Old 07-09-2012 | 06:43 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Im curious to get an update on this story.... Did the car get repainted?
Old 07-10-2012 | 08:26 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

He did have some paintwork done and it turned out perfect. He brought it by my house and I was impressed. In fact, if/when I need any paintwork done (remove bumperettes possibly) I am going to use the same place. Im sure Brian will chime in here when he sees this.
Old 07-10-2012 | 09:36 AM
osugasman
Racer

Sorry I didn't reconnect on this thread earlier. Paint was awesome. This guy was recommended after painting another arctic silver 993 (96 TT) as well as a Lexus RX330 and an new Porsche Cayenne. I got to see all three before and afters and was very impressed. Seemed like enough of an endorsement especially since he resprayed right front/rear quarters, plus hood and the blend was perfect. He actually has much less orange peel than factory and when I asked about this, he told me he had to stop sanding between coats so that it wouldn't be too obvious. Some gratuitous shots
Attached Images    
Old 07-10-2012 | 09:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robingb
it is very difficult to match silver (or any color other than maybe black). may have to blend into doors with color and then full coat of clear coat. after a few years you may see darker blotch in doors. there is nothing like original paint. maybe you can find fender and hood off another car with original paint (but that doesn't guarantee match). sorry for being so negative but been there done that.
I have had a number of parts on my polar silver car painted, and the match was dead-on. No blending, either, despite the fact that polar silver is supposed to be one of the harder cars to get right. In fact, many of my cars have been silver, light gray and dark gray and the few times they've needed paintwork, the body shops have rarely had matching issues. YMMV, of course, but I think it's important for newbies to know that it is not hard to do well.

Originally Posted by Dudley
Originally Posted by Academictech
+993

Goes for anything to do with your car, cosmetic or mechanical.
Pretty broad brush generalizations that paint the many excellent PCA advertisers throughout the nation with "bad paint". I agree that using a PCA advertiser is no guarantee of quality, but, come on, they're not all disreputable.
Old 07-11-2012 | 09:27 AM
DanL993
button queen

Mark and Brian,

Is this a Dayton area shop? Where was the work done?
Old 07-11-2012 | 10:16 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PM Brian. It is in Cinci but I cant recall the name. Come by my house when we do Brians Oil, Brake Fluid etc to see it first hand. We are going to do this in a few weeks.
Old 07-11-2012 | 10:55 AM
osugasman
Racer

Dan,

It's off I-275 in Milford, right behind the Bob's Big Boy restaurant. Hard to see from road. It's called Wards Corner Collision, Lou and Cindy are great. Phone is (513) 444-4725.

--Brian

Quick Reply: How much will repaint reduce resale???