Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Fister Stage II – The sound comparison!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

Some passengers commented on how loud the car was with Stage II's and so I stood by the road and got a helper to drive past at varying speeds/throttle. I was surprised at how quiet it was compared to a) what I think it sounds like when I am in the car b) firing it up in the garage. It is not obnoxious at all. Yesterday I stood outside the garage while a helper fired it up - garage door half open - again not as loud as I had thought. If you drive off 5am at WOT maybe the neighbour who secretly hates you will comment but otherwise I think they'll just enjoy the burble. Regarding engine noise, at higher RPM's the exhaust does not drown out the sweet sound and I can still hear the v'ram switch clearly.
I had the same pre-purchase concerns as mentioned above but can state that stage II's are just all good with no negatives.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Some passengers commented on how loud the car was with Stage II's and so I stood by the road and got a helper to drive past at varying speeds/throttle. I was surprised at how quiet it was compared to a) what I think it sounds like when I am in the car b) firing it up in the garage. It is not obnoxious at all. Yesterday I stood outside the garage while a helper fired it up - garage door half open - again not as loud as I had thought. If you drive off 5am at WOT maybe the neighbour who secretly hates you will comment but otherwise I think they'll just enjoy the burble. Regarding engine noise, at higher RPM's the exhaust does not drown out the sweet sound and I can still hear the v'ram switch clearly.
I had the same pre-purchase concerns as mentioned above but can state that stage II's are just all good with no negatives.
This was exactly the reason why I chose the Stage IIs. I wanted a more
aggressive tone with a heavier foot, but a nice quiet sound when conservatively
cruising around or idling.

In the video we had the mic positioned a few inches away from the exhaust, to
document as accurately as possible, however nobody, especially those on a
sidewalk, would experience the noise from that close up. The most accurate sound
clips in the video are those when I'm doing the drive bys.

One neighbour was genuinely PISSED when we were filming this
weekend..but I blame that on a bad St.Patty's Day hangover, not Fisters!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job love the video and the comparison.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds awesome!! BTW: I think the twist to the stock exhaust option really stems from how the cams and intake sound above 4500rpm. You won't hear this with the Stage IIs. I have the factory motorsound and love it. Sorry if this was obvious. Thanks for posting the vid.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

... +1 on best comparison yet.

Very timely as I had already ordered my Stage II's when I came across your post. Absolutely no remorse ... Stage II's are the right choice for me.

I spent the Weekend at a Club Race and DE with the OE exhaust and loved the sound ... I expect to get my Stage II's this week and can't wait to hear them at the next DE.

first-rate video's and excellent website ... thanks for sharing.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, I have to know because I see this technique all the time in car TV commercials. How do you get the camera mounted to the car but not see the connection? At roughly the :40 second mark you have the camera mounted behind the car but there is no visible connection to the car, even though it is clearly moving with the car at a set distance??
Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doberdog
Okay, I have to know because I see this technique all the time in car TV commercials. How do you get the camera mounted to the car but not see the connection? At roughly the :40 second mark you have the camera mounted behind the car but there is no visible connection to the car, even though it is clearly moving with the car at a set distance??
+1
Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

+2

And for you guys who prefer stock, there is always Stg I. Gives it a nice mellow throatiness about 50% less than a Stage II. This is where I started. I don't think FD lists this version but I'm pretty sure Darin would make a set if asked.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
boman993
Drifting

Originally Posted by jo-hans
+1
Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
+2
A sprinkle of movie magic – post production. I too love this effect. It will be cool to
get our hands on some more elaborate rigs for future videos.

We used a telescoping monopod with a GoPro camera mounted to it. The
monopod was attached under the car. We then masked out the pole in
AfterEffects.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you buy this program for Final Cut Pro?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the best comparison yet.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by _boman
We then masked out the pole in
AfterEffects.
Jakob, the masking is that similar to cloning the background with the likes of the stamp-tool in PS?

This is so cool. I have been putting off buying a GoPro but maybe sooner then later now.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
boman993
Drifting

Can you buy this program for Final Cut Pro?
It's an Adobe program. I'm sure you could export your edited media from AE to
FCP.

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects.html

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Jakob, the masking is that similar to cloning the background with the likes of the stamp-tool in PS?

This is so cool. I have been putting off buying a GoPro but maybe sooner then later now.
Yes, very similar..but with video. Get a GoPro it's a great little camera ~ just make
sure to get the HD version. We have the most fun with them snowboarding.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Boman - Can't wait to see updates of your next mod........have fun ordering parts !!
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for doing this. i know a lot of folks will appreciate this.
chuck

Quick Reply: Fister Stage II – The sound comparison!