993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a 993 SuperCup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Spidey 993

Default What is a 993 SuperCup?

Have to ask because I can't seem to find a good description of what a SuperCup 993 car is? Is it a Cup car? How does it fit into the lineage in terms of GT2, RS...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=97793

Evidently a SuperCup isn't as desirable on the 993 food chain of race cars since this one hasn't been snagged up at $90k. So makes me wonder why, or why not?

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Spidey 993; 03-17-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
Have to ask because I can't seem to find a good description of what a SuperCup 993 car is? Is it a Cup car? How does it fit into the lineage in terms of GT2, RS...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=97793

I would appreciate if anyone could explain briefly the different models, what the major differences or enhancements are.

Cheers,
Tony
Yes, the 993Cup was raced in what was called the Supercup Series

a 993Cup is the n/b race version of an RSR, they share many of the same pieces, but the Cup is slightly detuned as per the regs of the series

Cups also share many of the parts and attributes of the RS/CS

so where does it fit
pure race wide body were GT2 and RSR
Cup is a slightly detuned RSR
RS/CS is a street version further detuned and somewhat softened
RS was the street touring version

Here's a summary

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 03-18-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Spidey 993

Thanks Bill, I haven't seen the lineage explained like that and nice visual.

I'm a bit surprised then why the SuperCup doesn't get the fan base. This guy is selling his and it doesn't seem to be a strong interest. I would assume there would be more.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill, I haven't seen the lineage explained like that and nice visual.

I'm a bit surprised then why the SuperCup doesn't get the fan base. This guy is selling his and it doesn't seem to be a strong interest. I would assume there would be more.
Not many were built and they are very expensive, the 996/997 GT3 Cups stole the thunder and are much better performers at a lower cost
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bill for posting that data sheet.

Does the supercup come with the ITBs like the RSR? I noticed the transmissions are very different from supercup to RSR.

I also noticed the front track of the RSR is much wider. Maybe I should put spacers and do some fender rolling. Do you think that will improve turn-in etc?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Evidently a SuperCup isn't as desirable on the 993 food chain of race cars since this one hasn't been snagged up at $90k. So makes me wonder why, or why not?

Cheers,
Tony
I would think that part of that market and value problem is due to the fact that a majority of the enthusiasts that would buy something like that in this country want a street-driveable version and this car is strictly a track/race car in 'street' clothing and it would be incredibly expensive (and a moot exercise IMHO) to 'de-tune' and federalize it to some streetable state ... probably much more than to just import and federalize an RS or an RSCS. It would be the ultimate 'drivers-ed' track toy though .. and the color is yummy
Old 03-18-2012, 11:24 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob

Does the supercup come with the ITBs like the RSR? I noticed the transmissions are very different from supercup to RSR.

I also noticed the front track of the RSR is much wider. Maybe I should put spacers and do some fender rolling. Do you think that will improve turn-in etc?
You cannot simply put spacers on (well... you can), it will change your scrub radius and make the car very sketchy at the limit of grip on turn-in. You have to do some minor surgery by adjusting the a-arm mounting points outboard on the front subframe.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
I would think that part of that market and value problem is due to the fact that a majority of the enthusiasts that would buy something like that in this country want a street-driveable version and this car is strictly a track/race car in 'street' clothing and it would be incredibly expensive (and a moot exercise IMHO) to 'de-tune' and federalize it to some streetable state ... probably much more than to just import and federalize an RS or an RSCS. It would be the ultimate 'drivers-ed' track toy though .. and the color is yummy
Yes, but by that rationale, the 964 Euro cup cars (or the non-street version of the 964 US Carrera cup cars), one of the most coveted 964's, would not be as valuable as it is. I agree that a streetable 993 cup would seem to offer more appeal to the market and, hence, bring a higher price, but perhaps the market is still too soft for track toys of any variety. Maybe it's just me, but I think a 993 Supercup is still super-desirable and ultra-cool.

Who knows if there are any stories with the Supercup in the first post? Lots of these cars got bashed around pretty hard, and that doesn't seem to affect value too much, but perhaps there's more to this car than we know about?

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-18-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Maye it's just me, but I think a 993 Supercup is still super-desirable and ultra-cool.
+993
Old 03-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by camlob

No the Cups used a stock 93 plastic resonance intake but w/o the MAF sensor, they used a MAp scheme for mixture control similar to what is done for Motec installs these days

the g50/30 used in Cups is identical to the g50/34 used in RSR except for the cwp, Cups used 9:31 RSR 8:32, but there was some crossover depending on the track and sanctioning body regs, the Gt2 evo added a cooler and some beefier bits

See the smurf build in the other thread, RSR & GT2 mounted the front suspension in the outer position rather than the inner as used on all the other 993s, they also used wider wheels w/ different o/s and much larger f/r flares

on a n/b 993 you can fit 8.5 or even 9" wheels, these and the RS/GT2 Evo suspension components and a good track alignment will fix the built in numbness
Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Great track toy

Originally Posted by Ish993
+993
Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Track toy? Why? Unless you're a complete 993 nut. And can drive one beyond what a warmed over street version is. There aren't many of us.............. As Bill mentioned above, the cars that came later (as with all generations) are faster on the track. Until you're in a competitive, timed environment, there really isn't a point.

I say this as I look out the front window to see my car strapped on the trailer for Laguna tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some decent video for comparison with said multiple generations. Sucky gearing for Laguna be damned.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

^ Ken, because.... the 993 is awesome?

There's just something about the last gen of air cooled cars.... Plus, it's nice to eat guys driving the newer equipment
Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
You cannot simply put spacers on (well... you can), it will change your scrub radius and make the car very sketchy at the limit of grip on turn-in. You have to do some minor surgery by adjusting the a-arm mounting points outboard on the front subframe.
I realized I missed this post. Thanks for pointing this out. I didnt realize it could change the scrub radius. Can you elaborate more on the minor surgery needed on the a-arm mounting points on the front subframe? A pic would be helpful. Tnx.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

^ follow my RSR build thread, I'll post pics when I get to that stage

Quick Reply: What is a 993 SuperCup?