Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Do I need a top end rebuild - UPDATE Compression and Leak Down Numbers are in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry Do I need a top end rebuild - UPDATE Compression and Leak Down Numbers are in.

I may have a major issue with the Rivi Blue Cab. I had the car sold because I have been wanting a 997 C4S Cab. The car was sold to a Rennlister and we pretty much had the deal done without a PPI. I told the buyer the car was in excellent shape, and it is, and didn't need anything.

On occasion I get a drip on the floor especially after a long run. I went out to the garage last night and was preparing to re-torque the valve cover gaskets because I assumed the drip was coming from there. Well it's not. From my poking around I think it's coming from one of the cylinder bases.

I called my mechanic and he pretty much said if the leak was coming from a cylinder head base the motor has to come out and a top end would be the only real remedy. The car has 104,000 miles

Of course, he needs to look at the car on Wednesday to assess the problem, but I just want to see what my options are. My mechanic said he would advise against re-tourquing the head bolts especially with the miles on the car.

Any ideas from the 993 fold? I have sent PM's to everyone that PM'd me about the car as well as the buyer regarding the issue. I have a feeling I'm getting ready to stroke a big check.

Mike

Last edited by Arena993; 03-17-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you take a look at the top of the engine? Maybe it's just overfilled sump that is pouring oil into the intake and dripping from there!?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Juha G

I poked around as much as my limited knowledge will take me. My oil consuption is not bad at all. The car runs strong, no smoke on start up, and I just passed emissions 2 weeks ago with flying colors.

Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need to rebuild the motor because of a cylinder base gasket leak, unless it's heavy. An occasional drip is not a big deal, especially not on a car with 104K. Just factor it into the sale price of the car. My car has had a base gasket weep for years. Only time I even remember it's there is when I'm under the car and can see that the bottom of the engine around the leak is damp. Lotta stuff I'd spend money on before that...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by NP993
You don't need to rebuild the motor because of a cylinder base gasket leak, unless it's heavy. An occasional drip is not a big deal, especially not on a car with 104K. Just factor it into the sale price of the car. My car has had a base gasket weep for years. Only time I even remember it's there is when I'm under the car and can see that the bottom of the engine around the leak is damp. Lotta stuff I'd spend money on before that...
I do get a occasional drip. I guess when he does the leakdown/cpmpression test that will tell us a lot more. My leak is also seen at the bottom of the engine case where damp, but I'm getting a drip. I already have the car priced at wholesale and can't reduce it anymore. We'll just see what happens on Wednesday.

Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

cylinder 1 or 2 ?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:56 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
I guess when he does the leakdown/cpmpression test that will tell us a lot more.
No, two entirely separate things....leakdown/comp tests the health of the combustion chamber (rings and valves). You've got a minor cylinder base gasket oil leak. This is where the cylinder slips into the case. There are no mechanical or performance side effects. It is what it is -- an occasional drip on the floor, nothing more. Would be a problem on a low-mileage garage queen, but really not on a 104K mile driver that you're not trying to get top dollar for.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by geolab
cylinder 1 or 2 ?
I hate to sound stupid here as I am no mechanic, but the leak is on the left side (driver's side) of the motor on the middle cylinder as best I can tell. Don't know what number cylinder that is.

No, two entirely separate things....leakdown/comp tests the health of the combustion chamber (rings and valves). You've got a minor cylinder base gasket oil leak. This is where the cylinder slips into the case. There are no mechanical or performance side effects. It is what it is -- an occasional drip on the floor, nothing more. Would be a problem on a low-mileage garage queen, but really not on a 104K mile driver that you're not trying to get top dollar for.
Well that makes me feel better. Of course, I was trying to get my mechanic to diagnose over the phone. I will definitely know what's up on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Juha G

I poked around as much as my limited knowledge will take me. My oil consuption is not bad at all. The car runs strong, no smoke on start up, and I just passed emissions 2 weeks ago with flying colors.

Mike
I do get a occasional drip. I guess when he does the leakdown/cpmpression test that will tell us a lot more. My leak is also seen at the bottom of the engine case where damp, but I'm getting a drip. I already have the car priced at wholesale and can't reduce it anymore. We'll just see what happens on Wednesday.

Mike
When I bought the Widebody Cab .. I had the same issue. I dug into it and found a TSB on '97/98 MY cars. Of course, your's isn't a defective gasket but just a worn out one ..
My car passed compression/leakdown and smog no problem and it was more than a drip .. and it didn't burn any oil in 2000 miles before I changed the fluids .. I was told I could drive it like that indefinitely and if I hadn't sent it to 9m .. I probably would still be driving it like that. FDM charges $5K for a top end rebuild so there's a benchmark number for you ... I mean, you could just replace the gasket .. but it would be silly not to take the next steps and just do the top end ... IMHO you should negotiate a deal with the buyer on cost for the repair and let them make the call on when it should be done ... like you wanted my opinion, right?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by JPP
When I bought the Widebody Cab .. I had the same issue. I dug into it and found a TSB on '97/98 MY cars. Of course, your's isn't a defective gasket but just a worn out one ..
My car passed compression/leakdown and smog no problem and it was more than a drip .. and it didn't burn any oil in 2000 miles before I changed the fluids .. I was told I could drive it like that indefinitely and if I hadn't sent it to 9m .. I probably would still be driving it like that. FDM charges $5K for a top end rebuild so there's a benchmark number for you ... I mean, you could just replace the gasket .. but it would be silly not to take the next steps and just do the top end ... IMHO you should negotiate a deal with the buyer on cost for the repair and let them make the call on when it should be done ... like you wanted my opinion, right?
Hey I asked and wanted opinions, still do. I sold the car at a wholesale figure because I am buying the new car at wholesale. So a price drop on my end is hard for me to do because I am at the lowest price I'd sell the car for.

I know you said I could just replace the gasket, but I am thinking along the same lines you are. If I'm going that far I need to go all the way. I'll see what my mechanic says. I think he was along the same lines of thinking it would be foolish to do all that work for just a gasket.

If I did spend 5K on a rebuild how much value does that add to the car, $2,000.00-$3,000.00?

I love cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

P.m. sent ... I'll meet you in the hallway ...
Old 03-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Norra Norra
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my car, and the there was a slight leak at cylinder 1 which showed on the PPI. It didnt bother me as a buyer, and I havent spotted any drops on the ground. I've also driven it 2k miles in the past month without the oil level changing, which confirms the guides are good which was my main concern. I wouldnt do a thing, and I wouldnt take much off the selling price, if anything at all. A base leak isn't progressive (it wont get any worse over time), as long as it's only a drop or two here and there. The only senario where it might cause concern/aggrivation is if I had a really nice garage and wanted to keep the floor immaculate. But as others have mentioned, at 104k mi it's not a queen. I'd be happy to talk to your buyer, I was in their shoes last month.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

+1

Bummer, Mike. Great to see such public honesty with the car you're selling.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Here is some info I found. When I bought the car in 10/08 I had my mechanic do a cylinder leakage test. At the time he felt like it was a strong motor and said to leave it alone, as far as a top end rebuild was concerned.

At 95,072 Miles

Cylinder #1 - 3%
Cylinder #2 - 1%
Cylinder #3 - 1%
Cylinder #4 - 8%
Cylinder #5 - 2%
Cylinder #6 - 3%

This was right off the truck and driven 17 miles to his shop. The car now has 4 years and 9,641 more miles since the leakdown was done. These numbers may have nothing to do with my leak, but any information is helpful.

Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+1

Bummer, Mike. Great to see such public honesty with the car you're selling.
Here, here. I've always been an advocate of 'disclose, disclose, disclose and let the market decide ...'

Quick Reply: Do I need a top end rebuild - UPDATE Compression and Leak Down Numbers are in.