Sponsored by:

New Rear Fender Stone Guards are the ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 540 Posts
Smile New Rear Fender Stone Guards are the ticket

Did one stone guard this past weekend on my 95......

OEM was actually a translucent white stone guard that took about 2 hours to clean off including adhesive.. and done after 2.5 hours

Used all the tricks - heat, spatula, adhesive remover, but that 16 year old guard didn't want to go easily....peeled off in 3 inch increments, etc.........

Ordered a clear 3M film Aeroguard material from ClearMask for $ 28.00 for the pair of rear fender guards....cheap cost for a great upgrade.....easy application...

3 photos - Removing OEM guard/new Aeroguard/the side that still needs to be done with OEM guard...next weekend.......

Recommend anyone contemplating to definitely do this easy project......)
Attached Images    
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. Nice job.

Did you order the bulk material and cut? If yes what did you use as the template?

Thanks,

Bob-
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to know there is a cheaper alternative rather than paying through the nose for the OEM ones....
Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 278 Posts

Looks great. How did you start?....using hair dryer and fingernails?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

I started with a 1400 watt hairdryer and old credit card and went VERY quickly to the hard plastic spatula (from Pampered Chef)......heated with my right hand and removed film with left hand, at the same time heating above the spatula that was doing the peeling...took a while, but the OEM white painted film peeled off in 3 inch chunks...spatula width.........

The clear 3M Aeroguard fender guards from ClearMask Automotive were Pre-cut and fit great.........$ 28.00 a pair as mentioned, great customer service......

I also ordered the application kit with the squeegees, 3M adhesive remover, but you can find all of this application/remover (Goof-off) stuff cheaper.......they have a great website with good info, etc...

The film was super easy to work with/slide around and the bubbles under the film came out VERY quickly using a wet paper towel rolled up on edge of squeegee....

I used lots of slip solution (Dawn dish detergent/water) on car and on film, and denatured alcohol(Walmart - 70%) to seal edges in spray bottles......great directions from them....

The key to the whole thing for a clean job (I have NO imperfections/dirt under film/bumps at all) was getting the surface extremely clean.....I used Griot's Orbital with polish # 3 on surface to make extra clean and then washed down with slip solution before installation.....

They were less expensive than others that also advertise 3M material, so it was an easy decision to order from them.....there are lots of previous posts that assisted me from this forum convincing me to tackle the job.....block out 2-3 hours, but I understand some OEM guards come off easier than others.....mine were pretty hard to get off, but it was the leftover adhesive rather than the film.....

Last edited by abiazis; 03-16-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Sorry I mean, how did you start the peeling process? My oem ones are colored red, not clear. Looks dull. Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
FD Motorsports
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks great!

Yes, new SGs can make a big difference. they can virtually disappear on most 993 colors.

Note: At that price the material was very likely 8mil thick. The original guards are 14mil... that part of the car can take some pretty big hits, 14mil material is good insurance.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

FD Motorsports.....appreciate your expert comments and I must compliment you on your website as it helped me with the process of deciding to do the job.....your directions/product descriptions/prices, etc....were very informative....

It was explained to me by more than a few people that the Aeroguard material from Clear Mask is the latest generation technology and even though thickness generally counts, not as much with this stuff due to its hardness quotient, etc. It is used by the aerospace industry for protection on planes and the like and that was good enough for me.

I also had a few friends/body shops/detailers/Porsche club members use the stuff and recommend it highly as they have not had any issues with protection......they use on the front end, mirrors, fenders, etc. Clear Mask's stuff is also custom cut for the car you have, as yours is, which is nice.....

P-Daddy - As far as starting the peeling......I took a few minutes and heated up the entire guard area....felt the guard to see if it was hot....started at the corner nearest the door, caught the edge with the credit card/then hard plastic spatula, heating just on the peel point and continuing with the heat as I peeled just above the spatula......intense process with both hands going......but not better than sex! Hope that helps....my OEM was painted white, but this clear stuff looks great on any color....
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
FD Motorsports
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

so... You're saying size doesn't matter?

interesting, we will check it out.
let us know how it holds up!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Will advise on how it holds up.........hopefully as recommended and advertised.....

I think size matters in basketball, bank accounts, under the sheets and maybe a few other areas......)
Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Spidey 993

Wow, night and day diff there. Mine are getting a bit dated. I'm scared to take them off and it will peel the paint off with it...?

Darin, love the new avatar. Quite the FDM stable there.

Originally Posted by FD Motorsports
so... You're saying size doesn't matter?

interesting, we will check it out.
let us know how it holds up!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis

P-Daddy - As far as starting the peeling......I took a few minutes and heated up the entire guard area....felt the guard to see if it was hot....started at the corner nearest the door, caught the edge with the credit card/then hard plastic spatula, heating just on the peel point and continuing with the heat as I peeled just above the spatula......intense process with both hands going......but not better than sex! Hope that helps....my OEM was painted white, but this clear stuff looks great on any color....
Andrew
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Mine looks dull and faded. Just doesnt go well with the rest of the car. Sounds like its something I can definitely tackle when I have 2-3 hrs to kill.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Spidey 993........Will not take the paint off or do any damage.......it will look great......just have to block out the time........cost is minimal for the result.....
Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Will not take the paint off or do any damage.
At $28 and pre-cut, its sounds like a great deal. If it is 8 mil, I can't see 14 mil (if that is what it really is) costing all that much more.

BTW, some who have removed their fender stone guards have peeled paint along with them in the process. As with so many things, it a matter of taking your time, using the correct method and above all...caring.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I replace mine every 1.5 - 2.0 years. Probably overkill, but they pull off in seconds. The whole job removing and installing the guards takes 30 minutes or less. I always get them from FisterD.

Mike

Quick Reply: New Rear Fender Stone Guards are the ticket