Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Be aware-Bad front bumpercover part

bumpercover beadings are
993 050 543 00 left side
993 050 544 00 right side--THIS PART IS WRONG, the part number is right...the actual part in the bag is wrong

My dealership is dealing with the Atlanta warehouse, I assume that Sunset is dealing with Oakland.

In April, I got a bad 544 part from Sunset-body shop didn't tell me that the beadings were different length's. Their solution was to simply cut the left side(that was the correct part) shorter to match the right side part. The beading ended up almost an inch BELOW the hood line, instead of correctly extending up and into the bonnet. Besides looking like crap, it certainly compromises some of the weather proofing qualities that I assume that beading is engineered to provide.

I recently got two of the wrong 544 parts from my dealer, and Sunset compared their beadings in stock...and they are also the wrong part. I asked Mark at FDM to contact the Oakland warehouse...and check their current stock if that was easy for him.

Bottom line here, if any of you fine folk intend to respray your nose, or change to a turbo or Euro turbo nose...you won't be happy with that wrong 544 part. The dealer was going to contact Porsche in Germany-some kind of technical part bulletin to them, and wait for a response.

The differernce's are-544 part is almost 1" shorter in length, as well as having the notch's that allow the beading to bend and follow the contours of the bumpercover...cut differently. It simply doesn't follow the bumper cover nearly as well as the 543 part. The length, as well as the lack of a flat contact area for adhesive at the hood end...ensure an unsatisfactory install.

In the mean time...the car is awaiting it's nose. It's almost 65 degrees here in Central New York today, and I could be driving.

If the above description doesn't make sense, fire me a PM and I'll try to explain more.

I might emai Gert and see if he has come across this. I can't be alone here, can I? Somebody else must have stumbled on this...man, that Murphy guy was a genuis!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Forget that stupid beading. Just tape around the gap and squeeze it full of black RTV. Lick you index finger, swipe it along the gap, yank the tape, and have a drink.

Andreas
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip. I will be interested to hear what you find. I was just about to order these parts to refit my bumper.

I'd also like to know more about using black RTV instead. This is the first time I have heard it mentioned. Anyone else tried it.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmat
I'd also like to know more about using black RTV instead. This is the first time I have heard it mentioned. Anyone else tried it.
Joe & I have a special relationship.

The RTV comment was written in jest.

Andreas
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM
cmat
Racer

I guess that's why I hadn't heard of it before. Having a drink after did sound good though.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Joe & I have a special relationship.

The RTV comment was written in jest.

Andreas
Originally Posted by cmat
I guess that's why I hadn't heard of it before. Having a drink after did sound good though.
I find that drinking before, during, and after, usually yields very acceptable results...until the morning after anyway.

When I did my ghetto bumperette delete with ductape, and plugged the multiple front license plate holes and headlight washer holes with plastic plugs awaiting the body shop schedule...well, that was the first time Andreas saw my car, and met me. That was at Hershey last year, and it was great fun.

Pretty much if you can't fix, mod or cover it up with silver or black duct tape(or Gorilla tape), you can always just put a Sunoco sticker over the offending area. You do know that Sunoco is the official fuel of Nascrap, right?
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Do you need to replace this beading if you are just removing the bumpercover to replace the fan resistors?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Pretty much if you can't fix, mod or cover it up with silver or black duct tape(or Gorilla tape), you can always just put a Sunoco sticker over the offending area.
Wait, that looks like my license plate?

Andreas
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
Do you need to replace this beading if you are just removing the bumpercover to replace the fan resistors?
If the beading looks good, and stays attached when you remove the cover...you should be good to go. The original beading is both glued and stapled in place, so it is very secure.

Pics below of the mock up on the bumper cover with the correct 543 part, and the wrong 544 part. Both beadings line up with the three thru bolt locations where the bumpercover attaches to the lower part of the fender. The pics show what is left at the hood end. Notice how the 544(right) side is well short of crowning past the top of the bumper cover as compared to the 543(left) side. You can also see the different pattern of the notch's in the pics.

It certainly looks like the 544 part could be slid a little up toward the hood. You would have to make additional cuts to allow the mounting bolts to attach at the fenders, but the notch's still don't allow the beading to fit as well as the left side. So, why the hell would it be different?

Mark at FDM is getting a set to compare for me tomorrow...Thanks Mark! Here's hoping that somebody...somewhere has a good one of these.
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

I have a good one on my 993. Come down here, back into my front bumper cover, and it's yours.

Andreas
Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I have a good one on my 993. Come down here, back into my front bumper cover, and it's yours.

Andreas
lets save that for T12, don't want to spoil all the fun!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey Joe...

I have both left and right side parts on my desk.
They are mirror images of each other.
Called you, left a message...
Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
hey Joe...

I have both left and right side parts on my desk.
They are mirror images of each other.
Called you, left a message...
paypal sent, Mark D to the rescue!

Gert also emailed me saying he has the correct beading. Anyone who is getting these, double check as soon as you get them...or have the place verify from stock if possible.

Keep in mind that all my dealer is getting out the Atlanta warehouse, is the wrong part. Sunset sent me the wrong part last April, and still have stock on hand that is wrong.

Mark, do you happen to know what warehouse your supplier deals with?

Quick Reply: Be aware-Bad front bumpercover part