993 Forum 1995-1998

Battery Time...after searching, a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:59 PM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Time...after searching, a couple of questions

Did my search....several posts refer to Optima Red Top 75/35.....last go around, my local independent shop (very strong reputation and good shop) installed Optima Red Top 75/25.....??

1) Going to do replace myself this go around....should I be looking for Optima 75/35 or Optima 75/25....what is difference?

2) Do not drive the car near enough, would the Interstate MTP-91 be a better choice? Leaning toward staying with Optima.

I do have the CTEK/Porsche trickle charger, however, I am leery of using it...doesn't seem to function properly...

97 C4S

Thanks for any input....
Old 03-04-2012, 04:11 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Denny,

My only input is to plug a 12v source into your cigarette lighter socket to keep your ECU and stereo alive while swapping batteries. Its a PITA to get those ECU readiness codes set, and to avoid having to find your stereo code.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I just went through this decision myself.

It does not appear that the 75/35 is available - I could only find a local 75/25 (and every internet search I did for a 75/35 linked me to a 75/25).
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by verhag
Do not drive the car near enough.
Well that is one reason to keep a battery maintainer connected all the time.

Would the Interstate MTP-91 be a better choice? Leaning toward staying with Optima.
I had the choice of going with an AGM battery but chose to stay with a regular Flooded Lead Acid battery based on what I know about batteries. I can maintain a FLA battery; I can't maintain an AGM or GEL battery.

AGM batteries have some advantages, but none of them are important to most of us. I can get into the details as to why if anyone is interested.

I do have the CTEK/Porsche trickle charger, however, I am leery of using it...doesn't seem to function properly...
What makes you think "it doesn't seem to function properly"? Did you take some measurements?

I just tested both my CTEK 3300 units in the lab at work. The charger worked with the exception that it did not enter any form of a "maintenance" mode as advertized. Instead it just switches off at the end of the charge cycle and switches back on when battery voltage drops back down to 12.8V. That method of battery maintenance isn't bad and in my opinion and experience is better for long battery life.

Quick Reply: Battery Time...after searching, a couple of questions