Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Sealing The 993 Windshield and Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:34 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW, I firmly believe that the Wurth compound is plenty plyable to account for any flexing that may exist. As I understand things, a new rear glass is comprised of the plastic trim piece, that accepts the underside bead of the outer seal.

Last edited by nine9six; 12-03-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:11 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
interesting & beautifully written up OP
.. its been almost 3 years - who's done this and how's it holding up?

ps - I like the idea of spraying the tectl water repellant wax/sealant that they use on other parts of the car (behind tail lights etc..) too
- might be safer re expansion/refitting/cracking problems?

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/engli...l_bodysafe_wax
Thank you very much HiWind!

Mine is holding up fine as far as I can tell. At some point I will need to
replace the windshield due to pitting if nothing else and then we'll see
what's involved in removing the sealant and how well the gap has remained
rust free.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:16 PM
bruce7
Racer

Default Obtaining Wurth products

BTW, anyone wanting to purchase Wurth products, including the Bond+Seal,
can call Wurth in NJ and place a phone order. Online orders are not possible
unless you are a business.

Call Pam Sudol and she will take the order.
Phone: 1-201-825-2710 x2288
Email: Pam.Sudol@wurthusa.com

-bruce
Old 04-27-2015, 12:50 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Cheers Bruce .... Your car is Wurth it
Old 12-02-2015, 05:31 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I just ordered the Wurth product. Pam informed me the minimum order is three tubes and I only need one for the windshield. If anyone is needing a tube, let me know. $22 each.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2015, 09:27 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like another great writeup from Bruce. Just so that I'm clear on this, am I effectively gluing the outermost seal to the channel? In other words, once I fill that channel/gap with the Wurth product, I install the seal while it is still wet? My rear window seal is easily removed, and until I saw this Techincal Bulletin, I wondered how much sense that made. The front windshield seal, however, looks like it would put up a fight to remove. Is that how it should be, or has someone done the front already?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:09 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 429 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by sand_man
Looks like another great writeup from Bruce. Just so that I'm clear on this, am I effectively gluing the outermost seal to the channel? In other words, once I fill that channel/gap with the Wurth product, I install the seal while it is still wet? My rear window seal is easily removed, and until I saw this Techincal Bulletin, I wondered how much sense that made. The front windshield seal, however, looks like it would put up a fight to remove. Is that how it should be, or has someone done the front already?
No - you are not glueing the outer piece to the channel. The outer 'oval' of 'rubber' is just cosmetic - it doesn't keep water out, it just hides the install of the screen.

Here's my thread when I did this in 2010.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...indscreen.html

Last edited by orangecurry; 12-03-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:47 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangecurry
No - you are not glueing the outer piece to the channel. The outer 'oval' of 'rubber' is just cosmetic - it doesn't keep water out, it just hides the install of the screen.

Here's my thread when I did this in 2010.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...indscreen.html
GREAT! Thank you!!! Your pics and writeup are most excellent. I guess where I got stuck was wondering if after filling the gap, there'd still be enough room for the outer "cosmetic" seal to fit properly. Also, in Bruce's writeup, it looks like he glued the corners of his rear window seal, to keep them in place, and that threw me.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:46 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sand_man
GREAT! Thank you!!! Your pics and writeup are most excellent. I guess where I got stuck was wondering if after filling the gap, there'd still be enough room for the outer "cosmetic" seal to fit properly. Also, in Bruce's writeup, it looks like he glued the corners of his rear window seal, to keep them in place, and that threw me.
sand_dude,
The outer cosmetic seal actually is pressed into the windscreen outer plastic surround groove, which is separate from the channel to be filled and sealed.

It is the cracking and breaking down of the plastic surround which inhibits the outer seal from creating the intended water tight seal, by holding the outer seal properly and tightly in place.

Once you remove the outer seal, it should become self evident, how things work with the seal.

FWIW, I pressed some nylon cord (maybe 3/16") into the channel, to support the outside edge of the cracked plastic windscreen surround. This both tightened and supported the failing plastic groove, which the outside seal presses into.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 PM
bruce7
Racer

Default Updated link to photo album

Here is the new link to replace the outdated picasaweb link:

https://goo.gl/photos/BqVsBb14kgEUcU7w6
The following users liked this post:
993Nero (09-07-2021)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 264 Posts

Any hints or tricks on how to remove the trim from the front windshield?

/
Old 04-04-2017, 01:45 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

^^ I'm trying to remove mine and it is proving very stubborn. I really don't want to damage the plastic rim attached to the new W/S. If anyone has hints or tricks to get the "trim" out of that groove, I'd appreciate hearing. Would lubrication help?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2017, 02:04 AM
Gazzz999
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently sealed the gap around my rear window as per Porsche TSB 5106 9501 and Bruce7’s excellent DIY.
I’m now ready to do the windshield and I’ve seen a few comments on this thread about the pros and cons. On the one hand, sealing the windshield gap will prevent accumulation of water; on the other hand it will be a messy and potentially damaging job to remove the gap filler when / if the windscreen needs to be replaced in the future.
I thought about just sealing the lower half - the bottom edge gap, both bottom corners and about halfway up each A Pillar. Has anyone done this and / or have any comments?
Old 04-10-2017, 02:30 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

^^ I was thinking the same thing. Really only need to go up on each side a few inches. Slope the top of the filler to drain. Makes sense to me. Maybe someone with experience will chime in.

Still hoping for someone to comment on the difficulty of removing the outer "covering frame"... I have pulled and pried, and it does NOT want to come out. I have a new WS and don't want to damage the plastic frame.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:24 AM
Gazzz999
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had great difficulty lifting the windshield outer seal. I tried lifting it with a finger on each side of the seal at various points around the windscreen whilst trying not to stretch it, initially without any luck. Finally, it came away from the slot i the area near the wipers. Once

Quick Reply: DIY - Sealing The 993 Windshield and Rear Window