lil walk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write-up!!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 AM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely have to remove lower corners of rear window seal after every car wash to dry this area up. Is this normal? Fronts are ok. Will consider this DIY. Thanks Bruce!!!

--Brian
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM
ppomes
2nd Gear

Is there a US equivalent of Wurth Bond & Seal? The only source for it here is the UK EBay site. Thanks for the great write up!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 AM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ppomes
Is there a US equivalent of Wurth Bond & Seal? The only source for it here is the UK EBay site. Thanks for the great write up!
Wurth Bond & Seal is available in the US directly from Wurth if you call them. From post #1 of this thread the number is 800-987-8487. I just did this for both my car and was able to get it from Wurth directly in two or three days.

GC
Old 10-22-2013, 03:24 AM
alcanada
Instructor

Great procedure with pics and thank you for sharing. I would be cautious if applying to an existing frame where the rust maybe hidden and sealing the frame may hide the damage even more. I recently had the windshield replaced because of rock damage and the window frame was starting to rust. There were no signs from the exterior so I am glad in a way that the windshield had to be replaced to reveal the damage.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:07 AM
dskiles
Track Day

Once the Wurth bond and seal is applied, how hard would it be to later remove the front windshield if it is damaged?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:19 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Great write up. I actually getting ready to do this. Question, How would the 996 rope part fit into this mix? Im doing a new windshield and am somewhat confused if the 996 rope trick is the way to go or this one. Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Great write up. I actually getting ready to do this. Question, How would the 996 rope part fit into this mix? Im doing a new windshield and am somewhat confused if the 996 rope trick is the way to go or this one. Thoughts?
If keeping water out is your goal, then the sealing material is the way to go. I have a hard time imagining that the 996 rope could be installed tight enough to keep water out as well as the sealing material.

I asked my installer about adding a sealant to fill the gap. His concern is that the windshield flexes in the aperture and the gap is there to absorb the flex. Filling it will put additional stress on the windshield, unless the product is quite flexible. Perhaps the Wurth product is. I don't know this product well enough myself. One more thing to think about.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the job tonight. The directions are excellent but it's still a PITA job when all is done. I've got two extra tubes of black sealer, if anyone needs them send a PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Thanks for the write-up. If you never have to replace the windshield again, I think you should be fine. However, getting it out for the next one will be much more difficult and the chance to cause damage (to the paint will be higher. It depends on the quality of the job and how they repair ANY damages caused by getting the old sealing out (this is described in the Porsche Manual, too). In practice, this is generally not being done because the problem can be hidden for years by the installer ... I always tell them: If you cause damage or see any existing issues, do not "cover up" and I PAY EXTRA to have it fixed properly. For due diligence, I asked them to give me a call to show me the frame, before the new windshield goes back in. It is a shame to do this but looking at all the issues, it is reality.
So you would advise against this procedure ? anyone else care to elaborate or oppose to it because of future difficulty in replacing the windshield ?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

I just replaced my rear window seal and thought I'd share my experience.

I intended on following bruce7's great instructions, but I went to a windows/glass installer to buy proper urethane (i thought they might carry the Wurth stuff) and to see if they had any tips...

It turns out that they advised again filling the gap with urethane and told me to just put in a tiny bit of silicon in the plastic clip to help the seal bond properly. That's what I did and the fit is perfect!

I hope the advice I received makes sense and that I did not do something stupid. The guy did look as if he knew what was going on (he was 60'ish had seen a lot) and he told me that there are water channels that evacuate water should it make its way under the seal.

For now, the install looks perfect and putting silicon in the plastic clip seemed pretty safe for the car.

What do you guys think???
Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I hate to say it, but I think you will still get water in the channel that way as there are no drains on our cars that I am aware of. There should be. Perhaps other cars have drains so he would expect ours to also? But as far as I know, no drains If you can pull out a corner of the seal without damaging it, just try it after you wash the car. Wait a day. Luckily there was a thread on this not to long after I had got my car. I had washed it a few days earlier so went out and popped a corner of the window seal and sure enough there was still water in there. Now I pop the lower corners on the front and rear windshields after a wash and let them dry out completely.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabarnak
What do you guys think???
As a general rule of thumb, always follow the instructions from Porsche (PM if you need them). Ignore the glass guy, bodyshop tech, vw/audi/neighborhood mechanic, uncle that knows a guy that owned a Porsche, oil change technician, thread on pelican, new pcar mechanic at the dealer, etc.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

pm sent!
Old 04-26-2015, 12:18 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

interesting & beautifully written up OP
.. its been almost 3 years - who's done this and how's it holding up?

ps - I like the idea of spraying the tectl water repellant wax/sealant that they use on other parts of the car (behind tail lights etc..) too
- might be safer re expansion/refitting/cracking problems?

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/engli...l_bodysafe_wax

Quick Reply: DIY - Sealing The 993 Windshield and Rear Window