993 Forum 1995-1998

How long should Bilstein HDs last?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How long should Bilstein HDs last?

been through the threads, and there seems to be a wide range of thought on how long the Bilstein HDs should remain effective. Mine have 40k on them (no track, only spirited daily driving), and I'm starting to feel some squishiness (technical racing term) in the drive. Not sure if these need to go back to Bilstein under the warranty, but I'll call them and see. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Marc
Old 02-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question. Mine has less than that on them, and some of the crispness seems gone. Perhaps I've just gotten used to them and am now ready for something even firmer?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

that thought crossed my mind as well, but I don't really need all the adjustability of the pss9s. It would be nice if the warranty would kick in :-)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The squishiness is unlikely to be the Bilsteins - their life from what I've heard should be double what you've done. I suspect its more likely that your wishbone bushes need replacing.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

hhhmmm...interesting. It does feel like there's some play in the suspension when I grab the wheel. I've been planning on doing the front A-arms with the Walrod bushings. Any word on whether the rears got into production?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by s2racer
hhhmmm...interesting. It does feel like there's some play in the suspension when I grab the wheel. I've been planning on doing the front A-arms with the Walrod bushings. Any word on whether the rears got into production?
I would check your tie-rod ends. If they're worn, you can really feel it through the wheel. Also, Bilstein will rebuild your struts for a very reasonable price and you can request different settings for them (damping, rebound ..etc.)

Quick Reply: How long should Bilstein HDs last?