Sponsored by:

First Oil Change and Oil Analysis for my Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First Oil Change and Oil Analysis for my Turbo

I did the first oil change on my 993 Turbo. I bought it last spring and the oil had been changed not long before by a well-regarded independent shop who uses Pentosin 5W40 in air-cooled turbos. They also used the Mahle oil filters that so many places use but which aren’t recommended for turbos. However, my car had no smoking on start-up even if it sat for a week or two so I guess I was lucky.

I wanted to see how the Pentosin oil was doing so I sent a sample to Blackstone, telling my friends I was doing a random oilnalysis on my car and if it failed it had to be fired or go to rehab (can you tell I’ve had employees?). Luckily that wasn’t necessary as the Pentosin looks like a very good oil. I don’t know why it appeared thicker than 5W40; I personally talked to the mechanic who assured me that’s what they always use in 993 turbos. Mileage on the oil was 4,000-5,000 and time was just over a year. I did 3 DE days with it, so it had a bit of high rpm driving, which my mechanic says is necessary to keep it in good health (good mechanic, don’t you think).

But for the oil change, after reading way too much about oils, I switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50, which I think can only be good in the Utah climate. I do drive it on good days in the winter, but it’s in a heated garage and won’t ever be started when it’s below freezing, which is about the borderline for engine starting with the 20W50 oil weight. And although the aftermarket filters were okay previously, I went to the dealer and bought the official Porsche filters.

I’ve been amazing my non-Porsche friends with tales of four drain plugs, two filters and disassembly required. But I just installed a car lift in my garage and it was actually fun. I tell everyone that I spent six grand to save $50 on an oil change. I didn’t even cause a mess. For draining the oil tank, I designed and made a special tool and guide channel that let me take off the drain plug without using my hand, then it instantly channeled the oil into the drain pan. It worked very well, although I admit it is rather extravagant.

Filling the oil was the least interesting part as I went slowly, having learned to be paranoid that, if overfilled or spilled I’d be driving a mosquito fogger for a while. After putting in the first quart, I stopped and went to work the next day and made an adjustable flow funnel, spending a day and paying a machinist so I could avoid 20 minutes of slow pouring. Never let it be said that practicality impedes me in any way.

I’ll change the oil next year, after hopefully 3,000 miles or so (it would be more but I’ve got another car that needs exercise, too), or maybe even sooner if I do more track days, and will do another UOA to see how the V-Twin is doing.

BTW, I took off the oil pipe to make removing the small filter easier. I know some people try and avoid this but I don't see why - it's not hard to remove and install. It has two o-rings that people apparently seldom replace. But mine looked a little worn so I wanted new ones. The dealer didn’t have them in stock, so I got the same size, in viton, from McMaster-Carr. I had to buy a package of 50. If anyone wants a free pair, just pm your mailing address and I’ll send them.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
blackstone.pdf (239.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Rock:

I think your Turbo will really like the V-Twin. He is my UOA history on my Turbo. My iron and copper are significantly lower than your readings, with more miles on the drain interval. I'll bet you start to see your wear metal come down with the V-Twin.
Attached Images

Quick Reply: First Oil Change and Oil Analysis for my Turbo