Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Just drove new 991.......puzzled a bit....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Then why don't we all drive 73 911s or 912s even? I certainly wouldn't want to give up my turbos engine for an NA car.
To each his own. My lightened '86 Carrera is loads more fun to drive than my 993. I've driven a '73 and that is even more sports car like than either the '86 or the '97. I would own one in heartbeat if I had the funds and the room. I also love the 993 as a more refined, modern car for when I want that experience.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Like the old saying go's

More fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow!
I agree but I think this statement is a relatively new sound byte, a reaction to realizing what the newer models can do today and how they feel from a driver's standpoint. I don't think there is 993 owner out there that hasn't researched performance upgrades the day after they purchased their cars, yet Porsche delivers a 911 that exceeds all expectations for performance and for some, including me, there is some let down. I think it is liken to anticipating a movie that has the most advanced CGI special fx only to be let down by a poorly written plot. It is this same imbalance that some of us see with the direction the 911 has taken. Technology has finally delivered more than enough and the chase to get there has really put a lot of the emotive design qualities I like in a car on the back burner. Not sure what the solutions are but if this stays on trend, there will even fewer newer cars to look forward to.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the 991 as well, although for a much shorter jaunt than 30 minutes. I was impressed with all the techno-stuff that was imbedded into the car. The shifting of the PDK was intuitive and, well... much much better than what I could have managed with a manual.
My car felt a bit floaty when I bought it, but pinned tie rods, stiff springs, new bushings etc have given it a go-kart feel that I absolutely love. I am sure the GT3 version of the 991 will be an absolute monster.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, in the guitar and amp universes, Gibson, Fender, and Marshall are reissuing their classic equipment and doing quite a brisk business with it. Perhaps Porsche could explore a 993 reissue. It would be fantastically expensive, and they'd probably have to convince the gubmint to let 'em, but what a cool thing that would be.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
You know, in the guitar and amp universes, Gibson, Fender, and Marshall are reissuing their classic equipment and doing quite a brisk business with it. Perhaps Porsche could explore a 993 reissue. It would be fantastically expensive, and they'd probably have to convince the gubmint to let 'em, but what a cool thing that would be.
With a 3.8 and RS gearing? I would knock down old ladies and 3 legged dogs
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a chance to get a ride on a "mini-autocross" track at a Porsche driving event at the Daytona 24. Though I did not get to drive it, the "race-car driver" was able to impress me with the handling, braking and cacceleration of the car. Sure it was a fun ride, but i would never get a chance, nor really want to, drive the car like that. The 997 is too "soft" for me in around town driving. It would be awesome on the track. My 993 is enjoyable on my country roads which is where I spend most of my time and still exhilerating at speed. The 991 is just a further evolution.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 AM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if Porsche went back to their roots and made something simple and lightweight as their primary design goal? Toyota, Scion and Subaru will be selling a simple rear drive sport coupe this year. How many of you would be interested in an entry level sports car from Porsche that was simple, light and relatively inexpensive? And, wouldn't it be interesting if there was an amateur racing series featuring the new model...here's a link to the Toyota/Scion/Subaru. Oh and it has a flat four for power....

Old 02-21-2012, 12:27 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why the 356 is the best Porsche. If it doesn't have everything you want in a sports car you just keep moving to a newer and newer model until you get what you want. Most of us stopped at the 993. I have zero interest in a newish Porsche except for perhaps an overpriced Cayenne.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Technological advances have refined the Porsche to the point that it has just about removed any requirement for true driver's skill as we know it. I could spin my SC almost on demand, the 993 less so,and I'm pretty sure you would need to shut everything off to get that same gut feel of the early cars. Wait 12-15 years and see if the 991 is the car our 993s were at the same age.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Good point. When there are no more innovative bells and whistles to offer, sometimes your legacy products are the best things to offer consumers. Although I am not a big fan of reissues, esp with music gear. Most of the time the quality and sound are far from the original...but as you stated, there are enough folks out there buying this type of gear to make it worth while.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
I drove the new 991 S with PDK and everything seemed really muted........for lack of a better word.....

My 2003 C4S even seemed to be more involving than the 991.....as is my 993...

The car drives extremely smooth, stable, handled nicely, sneaky fast (but not scary fast like a turbo - got it up to 105 on an open road) and will do about anything you ask it to do, albeit uneventfully..........BUT....was not really that much fun to drive............a luxury GT feeling for sure, i.e. like an Aston......car is almost too perfect, which is not a bad thing, but the sports car feeling is just not there for me anyways....

I did not leave the dealer with a WOW special type feeling..........but I dearly wanted to.....was truly not excited after a 30 minute test ride....

Hopped back into my 993 and enjoyed the challenge.....maybe I would have to run the car all out and punish it a bit before appreciating the 991.....maybe higher limits to exact the brilliance out of the car?

Any other 993ers test drive the 991 yet/comment?
You didn't care for it and prefer your 993 to it?

Wow, I sure didn't see that coming.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if/when the 993 was released that the same comments weren't said for it?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
jef3380
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Cayman satisfy the return to more involved sporty driving?

Does the Cayman solve the problem pointed out with the newer Porsches that have lost some of the classic qualities of the 993? That would bring up the question of driving a 993 versus a Cayman for a pleasure drive on a back road?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I said the driving experience was no different; not that they have the same capabilities. Have you driven both?
Yes I've driven both (althought not a a panamera base or turbo s..but rather the s and the turbo).

The experience is not the same. The chrysler, which is based on a 210 e-class platform, does not ride as well or have the same suspension refinement, interior comfort, quiet, or appointments. It does not have any steering feel, which the panamera does.

There is no comparison in how the car drives, performs, or feels.

Originally Posted by 911Dave
To each his own. My lightened '86 Carrera is loads more fun to drive than my 993. I've driven a '73 and that is even more sports car like than either the '86 or the '97. I would own one in heartbeat if I had the funds and the room. I also love the 993 as a more refined, modern car for when I want that experience.
Cool. Given, however, that most of the people in this thread only use the 993 for weekend jaunts and crave the "raw" feel, shouldn't the recommendation be that they sell their refined soft 993s for the more raw early cars?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Cool. Given, however, that most of the people in this thread only use the 993 for weekend jaunts and crave the "raw" feel, shouldn't the recommendation be that they sell their refined soft 993s for the more raw early cars?
That could be a possibility save for the fact that most folks don't get a chance to sample older cars enough to make the leap. I did get to drive a 964 3.6T and a new '00 996 a few times before making the decision to buy a 993 in the same year. Money was not an issue w/regards to buying the 996 new or the used 3.6T

Last edited by Franklin229; 02-21-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Just drove new 991.......puzzled a bit....