Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car to be garaged in beachfront property - problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Install a commercial grade dehumidifier/air cleaner(electrostatic) to the garages AVAC system. The car will be just fine. I stored my Turbo and RS clone in a open garage in the bottom of the apartment building in Miami Beach for over four years and the cars are no worse for it. The idea that all cars that have spent there lives within a half mile of the California coast are turning into swiss cheese is absurd. Salt air is not ideal for anything corrosive but Porsches of our vintage are extremely well protected by the factory to begin with.
Talk about a generalized statement. Sure, the body may not develop cancer, but engines, undercarriage, fasteners, etc will end up looking less than stellar. I saw an 80's Carrera today in Pt. Loma. Looked ok from down the block, closer inspection showed it to be just another beach bum. I'd think the East Coast might be worse.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ocean front summer home in CT for 10+ years, zero humidity issues or salt / film on anything stored in the garage including various Porsches, scooters, etc. PM me if you'd like to compare notes.

In those 10+ years of being there constantly all summer long there were maybe 8 or 9 times when humidity got to a point where we closed the windows and turned on the AC.

I suppose it all depends on where you are, prevailing winds, etc.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live on the Jersey shore between the bay and the ocean year round. We have a heated garage but even when I still had my Porsche, it seldom got in there. As others have said everything takes a beating here from the salt air. I never have had any real problems though on any of my cars that I would attribute directly to being here. I would hesitate to have a car here though that was not a daily or at least frequent driver. Cars, bicycles, boats all seem to do better here when they just don't sit.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Ron about location and prevailing winds. On the south coast of Nantucket the windows would cloud over EVERY day with salty film. of course, that house fell into the ocean a few years ago.
On the north shore of Boston it's not nearly as bad. I think a well sealed garage with a dehumidifier is all I would consider, unless you want to own the car forever. Isn't NYC surrounded by mostly salt water?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by marin77
Hi Guys,

I am purchasing a beachfront property along the CT shore and will be keeping my car there. Does the sea salt create potential issues for my 96 TT or is this a late enough model that I should not worry about it?

We'll be doing a fair amount of work on the house so any thoughts on "must have items" for the garage would be welcome (heat/ac for temperature control, hot/cold water hose for cleaning).

Garage will be one of the few areas where I will have input ... so taking advantage of it!
Thanks in advance
Marin
If you wanted to really go for it ! Insulate the garage with spray foam, walls and ceiling.....have some floor covering that will not condensate in cold weather and helps to reduce condensation from concrete slab., Good garage doors with "tight seals", heat if possible.

The spray foam will not only insulate but act as an air barrier, seal sole plates to concrete floor with sealant. ( test for air leakage if required )

Good Luck
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

JP's comments mirror my own experience. My daughter lives in San Diego and her cars have all shown signs of increased oxidation event though they are garaged. My son lived in Pismo Beach for 2yrs. and the aluminum components in the suspension of his 300zxTT had visible oxidation. There is a lot of aluminum under our cars. I would do all I could to protect your car from the marine environment.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the 400 lbs of cosmoline protected everything from EVERYTHING?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Come on now, let's keep things on topic. The OP asked a legitimate question. Cleaning up the mess...
Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

There are MIL-Spec corrosion-inhibiting sprays that can be applied to the vehicle that would be less noticeable than our arch-nemesis Cosmoline. It would be a good idea to treat exposed suspension, fasteners, hinges, latches, engine compartment, etc. to minimize "canker". Fastidious washing and waxing whenever possible would be a very good idea. Important to remember, as mentioned by others, corrosion thrives on salt, moisture and heat.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I've lived in CT my entire life and summer there every year. There is more corrosion / humidity damage happening inland than there is on the shore. When it's 95 degrees and dripping-wet humid inland it's 85 degrees and dry with a sea breeze down at the shore. My things in our house and garage at the shore take much less a beating than my things back inland. After a storm I have salt spray on my windows and siding, but not a bit of moisture in the house or garage. There's a big difference between salt damage because one drives their car in the winter in CT vs. having a car down by the ocean during the summer.

My Grady White on the other hand does put up with a lot. After 8 years it's showing some pitting in certain metal parts. That's a boat that lives on the salt water and is used often.

Just try to keep things in perspective and understand that everything is local in nature. Our climate in CT may be very different from others.

Quick Reply: Car to be garaged in beachfront property - problem?