Sponsored by:

OT: Anyone own/driven an Audi A3 TDI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:56 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarracl
Sounds like it will be pretty cool, Greg. I though long and hard about a diesel for my daily driver, especially given my day job is promoting them on the heavy duty side. But with gas at $3.50 a gal and diesel at close to $4, the math really didn't work for a 3 yr lease. Since your company will be taking care of the fuel...
Yep, the huge plus is that I don't see the bill for the fuel and I won't see the pump that often. The WV Jetta sportwagon TDI was also on the list. I thought it looked a little plain in pictures. I think I made the right choice, now just going to have to wait awhile.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The VW wagon or hatchback TDI is a much better overall car than the Audi. The A3 interior is looking old, the back seat is small and you are paying a premium price for the same basic car, plus no AWD in the diesel. The new Passat is fantastic and it is more efficient than the wagon because it uses a modified European diesel engine with Urea injection. This engine will make its way into the Tiguan in a few years when they redo that vehicle with the bigger Q5 platform. The Passat is a lot of car for the money but it is very big, maybe too big for some. If I were in the market for a family mid-sized sedan, the Passat TDI would be it.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an 09' Jetta Sportwagon TDI for a parts runner and loaner car for my boat yard. It now has 90,000+ miles with zero problems. One can't drive it in a fashion to get less than 40mpg. It is fun to drive and police can't seem to see it. My only complaint is the car's computer. When you have your foot on the brake the computer allows only enough fuel to the injectors for the engine to idle, irrespective of throttle position. When at idle if you remove your foot from the brake the car will creep, even uphill. (this is the auto version). The problem is the delay from when you step on the gas and when the car accelerates is not consistent. This can make for some scary moments. I would drive a TDI before buying one. As an aside, my A6 does the same thing but to a much lesser degree and very rarely.......Chris
Old 02-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

personally...I'm waiting for the TDI-Quattro or Syrcro, AND a 6 speed manual tranny before I jump on board.

Gonna be a long wait here in N. America I'm afraid
Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a '10 Jetta sport wagon and use it for work. I love it for what it is, I'm not a big fan of the newer vw with the cost cutting, but mine has been great with no problems.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
personally...I'm waiting for the TDI-Quattro or Syrcro, AND a 6 speed manual tranny before I jump on board.

Gonna be a long wait here in N. America I'm afraid
Yep, it'll be a long wait. And for that reason I'll be looking for Golf R on the used market in a couple of years.... 6sp, 4 door option, AWD and excellent gas mileage. Perfect DD.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Yep, it'll be a long wait. And for that reason I'll be looking for Golf R on the used market in a couple of years.... 6sp, 4 door option, AWD and excellent gas mileage. Perfect DD.
If I had to make a move now...I'd buy what my wife just did...a 2012 Mini Countryman S ALL4. It's got a few too many iPhone type apps and gadgets for me, but...it drives very well in stock form, and is absolutely planted with the Nokian winter wheelset on it.

The fact that you can almost completely turn off the nanny traction control system, and get it sliding is a big plus.

Of course I'd prefer an aftermarket exhaust/other turbo goodies/suspension etc.

It was just under $30K when watching the option box's. It gets an astounding 34mpg on the highway, and is really quite a hoot to drive. Did I mention it's a 6 speed manual too!

Alot of car for the money.

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone own/driven an Audi A3 TDI?