Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you get a PPI on a CPO vehicle for a Porsche dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012 | 03:30 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Default Would you get a PPI on a CPO vehicle for a Porsche dealer?

I have a friend who is looking for a Boxster. He's found a couple he likes and one is at a Porsche dealership out of state (Texas). It is CPO w/ 11k miles. Would you ask for a PPI under these circumstances, at another dealership or mechanic?

Second question, any feedback on Roger Beasly Porsche?
Old 02-13-2012 | 03:34 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

In this case I think it might be prudent to get a bodyshop PPI at least to confirm its all original paint and no collision damage. As for the mechanicals, if it was me I wouldn't pay for a PPI on a Boxster with CPO. How long is the CPO good for? If anything goes wrong the new owner is covered.
Old 02-13-2012 | 03:49 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

I would not look to a ppi if it was a CPO car.
Old 02-13-2012 | 03:49 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Yes. What year? And include an oil filter dissection.
Old 02-13-2012 | 04:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
In this case I think it might be prudent to get a bodyshop PPI at least to confirm its all original paint and no collision damage. As for the mechanicals, if it was me I wouldn't pay for a PPI on a Boxster with CPO. How long is the CPO good for? If anything goes wrong the new owner is covered.
Spot on.

With an 11,000 mile vehicle, I'll assume it has a warranty, yes? However, CPO'd cars can still have body damage that the technician either missed or is not obligated to disclose, at least based on the terms of the CPO language. That damage might be a deal-killer or it can be used as leverage for negotiations.
Old 02-13-2012 | 04:22 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Good advice guys, thanks. I agree, a mechanical inspection is probably not warranted since it's CPO, but a body shop inspection might be wise.
Old 02-13-2012 | 04:35 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

How long until the CPO warranty expires? Is your friend looking to keep the car for a while? My first Audi was a CPO. I had $25K in warranty work within 10 months of purchasing it. Unloaded it like a hot potato right before the CPO expired.
Old 02-13-2012 | 07:29 PM
95carrera
Racer

Help the guy out by talking him OUT of a boxster and into a 993!
Old 02-13-2012 | 07:34 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

ask the dealer to walk around with a paint meter and document paint thickness of each panel. I asked for this after a perfect PPI on a car and found out it had significant paint work ...
Old 02-13-2012 | 07:39 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Great info shared...

I'll only add this: A Porsche CPO'd car can have some paintwork and still be a CPO
It is supposed to be limited in some way, can't recall the verbiage... however, I would not trust the dealer to make that decsion.

From personal experience I know that they can be less than thorough. One example, my GT3 was CPO'd with a Sharkwerk's bypass installed.
Sounds great, not complaining, but if there is a problem down the road and warranty coverage is denied... that would suck.
I had to go back and get a letter reinforcing that they CPO'd the car with the bypass installed.
Hopefully I never need to see if that letter is worth anything.

Good plan on the body shop inspection, Roger
Old 02-13-2012 | 07:42 PM
hoboken56
Instructor

Yes the question one is there body work but you also have to consider when the car was CPO, how many miles and days since they CPO the car is what realy matters. Where was the car CPO also may have some relevance. When a car is CPO everything is brought back to spec numbers but when and what happened after is the devil in the details, all the best , I agree with above have you friend buy a 993!
Old 02-13-2012 | 10:38 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by ilko
How long until the CPO warranty expires? Is your friend looking to keep the car for a while? My first Audi was a CPO. I had $25K in warranty work within 10 months of purchasing it. Unloaded it like a hot potato right before the CPO expired.
Car is a 2010, so one more year of factory warranty and then 2 more of CPO I believe. If he wants they are giving him the option of reducing the price $1900 if he doesn't want the CPO warranty.

Originally Posted by 95carrera
Help the guy out by talking him OUT of a boxster and into a 993!
LOL, yeah tried that.

Originally Posted by PasPar2
ask the dealer to walk around with a paint meter and document paint thickness of each panel. I asked for this after a perfect PPI on a car and found out it had significant paint work ...
This has been done with no supposed repainted panels.

Originally Posted by MarkD
Great info shared...

I'll only add this: A Porsche CPO'd car can have some paintwork and still be a CPO
It is supposed to be limited in some way, can't recall the verbiage... however, I would not trust the dealer to make that decsion.

From personal experience I know that they can be less than thorough. One example, my GT3 was CPO'd with a Sharkwerk's bypass installed.
Sounds great, not complaining, but if there is a problem down the road and warranty coverage is denied... that would suck.
I had to go back and get a letter reinforcing that they CPO'd the car with the bypass installed.
Hopefully I never need to see if that letter is worth anything.

Good plan on the body shop inspection, Roger
Thanks Mark, good info!
Old 02-14-2012 | 12:04 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Friend bought his Carrera from Champion as CPO'd, turns out the car was crashed in its past history yet a glowing condition report. Get a PPI...its what a couple hundred bucks?!?!

Buyer beware.

Quick Reply: Would you get a PPI on a CPO vehicle for a Porsche dealer?