Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

FisterD mufflers ... ceramic or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default FisterD mufflers ... ceramic or not?

I have been reading way to many threads on muffller mods. Finally I have settled on the FisterD Stage II's. It's a daily driver and I still like my neighbors :-) The only question remaining ... Is do I get them coated or not? Early on there was concern about the heat without the heat shields. I haven't seen any recent posts on the subject, just a few with comments from 2008. Is this a non issue?

Do the ceramic coated Stage II's disspate heat as well as a polished set with heat shields?

Just looking for a little guidance ... thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:31 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When ceramic coated, they are a work of art! If you want to dissipate heat better, remove your engine tray. Great color choices, too:
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2012, 03:42 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

The ceramic coating actually cuts down the radiant heat that the mufflers produce. Polished mufflers will not do the same. I ,and many others as well, have run ceramic coated mufflers sans heat shields for years. Track days, auto cross, and daily driving. There are no issues.
Many aftermarket companies do not run any heat shields at all, nor do they have ceramic coating, and I have not seen any problems with those either.
Ceramic coating has it's benefits for sure, but it is optional.
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

That reduces the question to just what color to coat :-)

I have the velvet black tips but I'm leaning towards the Mag Silver ... clean and understated.

Thanks for the quick response ... I have one can to clean up some and then I will ship them your way.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have built a few systems for my car and have never had heat shields on any of them. I am yet to melt my back tires or any other parts for that matter. While I think they are a good idea and I understand why the factory did it, I don't think they are necessary. They also tend to catch on stuff and make the installation/removal more difficult.
The theory with the ceramic coatings is that it helps to keep some of the heat inside of the pipes and mufflers which in turn keeps the air moving along. As the air cools it gets denser and the velocity decreases. Good exhaust is all about keeping the air moving.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

I got ceramic myself. well worth the small extra cost.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments and explanations ... I agree the heat shields do tend to catch on things ... especially when I am not paying attention :-)
Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I went with the CeraChrome on my recently installed Stage II's (just loud enough for me), being how they are tucked up in there, bling isn't an issue.. I figured it was another "while you're in there" type of purchase since once the mufflers are in I have no plans on touching them again. Years back when dealing with American Iron and large displacement V-8's (went through 4 motors in one car alone) I ponied up for the then new ceramic coated headers since heat sink was an issue. To my surprise there was a noticeable difference in temps.

P.S. All the great things you hear regarding FD Motorsports are true, Darin is great to deal with.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:32 PM
tribaltech
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was wondering exactly the same thing a couple weeks ago. To me it wasn't the bling or the heat, but simply the idea of adding new life to 84k miles mufflers. I just received them a few days ago and they ARE a work of art. Almost a shame they won't be seen. I went with Cermachrome. I can't wait to install them and hear the sound, but for now, they look great on the kitchen table, I think I'll admire them for a little while.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

I definitely agree with you about FD Motorsports ... they tollerated my undending questions about suspension and set me up with exactly what I needed ... HD's + M033. I also have a set of Black Velvet wide ovals. They have ther ther before , during and after all the purchases. They are the best!

Thanks to this thread this decision is made ... I'll be sending my "donor" mufflers as soon as I finish cleaning them up.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM
S98CS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the Mag Silver as it has a cool porsche metal look.
I bought the III's
Just drive down the street easy and the neighbours never know your there.
Another tip : throw BBQ'S and have beer and your their bud"s
It is all good.
Stephen
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I am no exhaust expert, but it makes logical sense to me that keeping heat inside the muffler is a good thing.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Cermachrome stage III. They look and sound amazing!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, but what am I missing? I don't think I ever see my mufflers? Colors?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Sorry, but what am I missing? I don't think I ever see my mufflers? Colors?
Not much to miss, really. Ceramic is actually more function over form. It just happens to come in different color choices. It's not for everyone. I happen to think it's very cool. You never really see the underside of your car either, yet people do this.....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: FisterD mufflers ... ceramic or not?