Sponsored by:

OT: Au Pair

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Au Pair

We are thinking about trying an Au Pair to help with the kids. Does anyone have any experience positive or negitive? Which agency/service was used?

--Joe
Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother had Au Pairs for the first 6 or 7 yrs. of his son's life. They each came for one year. All benefited from the arrangement and Evan, the child is bi-lingual and now 29 yrs old so I can help with the agency issue.Good luck....Chris
Old 02-09-2012, 03:59 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-au-pairs.html
Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Though they are certainly readily available here in NYC, we've never gone that route. We've always laid out exactly what we needed and figured out how to staff accordingly.

When he was an infant until about 3, we did a full time nanny. Had a green card, and well referenced from other parents and such. Did a background check too.

When he outgrew that we went to more part time, but still a nanny. Same process.

We now (son is 5 and in kindergarten) have a part time, college educated SWF who was looking for the part time status to work on her thesis and do some internships on off hours.

Before you go through the overhead and risks of having a live in and all that, you might ask around and look for any "mommy boards" that locals are active in to get a referral.

There are also agencies, usually local, who will place for whatever time you have, but they charge on top of it all.

One tip...if you are paying in a manner other than all cash, don't forget payroll taxes and all that. Not much $ unless they decide you are avoiding everything, then the fine is $.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
TravisB
Pro

Dated one for about a year...but I'm not sure if my experiences would be useful to you.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Shoot a PM to Andreas' servant's assistant; she hires all of his au pairs.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

We opted for the daily nanny/sitter b/c of the big upfront costs of hire of an Au Pair. Prior, we had a sitter not work out and had to can her after a month so we were a little gunshy. We found another sitter which worked out great for us. She still takes the kids out from time to time now that they are in school.

We found her through one of those nanny.com sites and interviewed ~5 before finding the right match. Was a kind of a PITA but worked out in the end.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisB
Dated one for about a year...but I'm not sure if my experiences would be useful to you.
Useful? Probably not. But that doesn't mean we don't want to hear the details....
Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 PM
jainbaby
Racer

Pm me, we have had 5 Au Pairs, have one now in fact and my wife is a regional coordinator for an Au Pair agency, between the two of us, I am sure we can answer any of your questions...

Quick Reply: OT: Au Pair