Sponsored by:

Anodized wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anodized wheels question

Anyone have experience with anodizing their wheels rather than powder coating? I am concerned about PC because of the heat cycle weakening, and I understand that Hardcoat Type III anodizing is superior to PC for aluminum wheels. I am largely clueless on this, but am concerned about refinishing 2-part Kinesis wheels. I need to have chrome removed from the centers and want them black, which means:
(a) PC
(b) Painting
(c) Black anodizing

The anodizing should improve strength I understand.

Could use some experience reports.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I've never had my wheels anodized, but Fikse offers a "race satin" anodization for their wheels. This is what I have on both sets of my Fikses. It's super durable, looks great and is (relatively) easy to keep clean.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of the 'black' anodized finishes turn purple with age, which is not very attractive. I think the CCW and possibly the Fikse's do this.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Some of the 'black' anodized finishes turn purple with age, which is not very attractive. I think the CCW and possibly the Fikse's do this.
Good point. I thought this problem was resolved by both companies. I think I read it here, so it must be true.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That's possible and if true makes anodized a good alternative to powder coating. I would never buy painted rims which are prone to damage by careless tire installers.
A set of CCW's I saw on Pelican attracted my attention until I saw some high rez pics and the purple discoloration. They were several years old and would have made great track rims. The Kinesis anodized finish always seems to look good.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR
The anodizing should improve strength I understand.
Anodizing will create a 'tougher' outer layer, but I doubt the wheel will be measurably stronger as a result.

Andreas
Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Anodizing will create a 'tougher' outer layer, but I doubt the wheel will be measurably stronger as a result.

Andreas
The aluminum anodization process creates both a deposition and penetration layer of aluminum oxide that is harder than the base aluminum. It makes the the surface less prone to crack propogation and inhibits corrosion. There are different processes which determine the hardness and thickness of the aluminum oxide layer. The aluminum oxide is relatively pourous so will take a color dye during the process.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the OP, I have heard stories of powder coating having an effect on wheel strength. I wouldn't think that the temperatures involved would be high enough. Does anyone here know for sure?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:59 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cmat
As the OP, I have heard stories of powder coating having an effect on wheel strength. I wouldn't think that the temperatures involved would be high enough. Does anyone here know for sure?
A well controlled powder coating process will not effect the strength of aluminum wheels. The concern is with the stripping process or poorly controlled cure temps.

Generally, if the place you have coat your parts use a chemical strip process, do a thorough inspection of the stripped wheel, and their oven controller monitors part temps, your wheel structure will be okay.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thx hoggel ... that's what I understood. BTW, several anodizing shops have told me that color anodizing will fade in sunlight. Hence the purplish look of black over time. Decided to PC the centers and keep the mounting surfaces free of any paint. Thanks all for the input.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
The aluminum anodization process creates both a deposition and penetration layer of aluminum oxide that is harder than the base aluminum. It makes the the surface less prone to crack propogation and inhibits corrosion. There are different processes which determine the hardness and thickness of the aluminum oxide layer. The aluminum oxide is relatively pourous so will take a color dye during the process.
I've heard somewhere on this forum that anodizing aluminum wheels can actually damage the structure of the wheel itself. Is this true? Also if the color fades when exposed to sunlight that's not good at all. I'm thinking of either black anodizing or black PC but not sure which. Leaning towards anodizing.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,721 Posts

anodizing wheels does not weaken the structure of the wheel.

However, I hear that anodizing does not like heat and therefore, if you track your wheels, they might fade prematurely.

I am currently having a set of BBS E88's anodized and will report back as soon as they are finished. I disassembled the wheels today and took the centers to the stripper. $35 per wheel for a chemical bath and a powerwash. No Heat and no abrasives will be used in taking the paint off.

I'm then taking the centers to Jenco Anodizing to have them anodized gold. I'm crossing my fingers for a great turnout.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 05-11-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Raw or anodized would be my choice.

I had a set of 3 piece wheels that had the centers painted, ran them at the track regularly, and inspected them regularly as well. Wanted a change of color, stripped off the paint only to find a crack almost through one of the spokes, the crack was completely covered by the paint on the wheel.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:35 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
anodizing wheels does not weaken the structure of the wheel. It's a cold bath so no heat is introduced.

However, I hear that anodizing does not like heat and therefore, if you track your wheels, they might fade prematurely.

I am currently having a set of BBS E88's anodized and will report back as soon as they are finished. I disassembled the wheels today and took the centers to the stripper. $35 per wheel for a chemical bath and a powerwash. No Heat and no abrasives will be used in taking the paint off.

I'm then taking the centers to Jenco Anodizing to have them anodized gold. I'm crossing my fingers for a great turnout.
I have two sets of e88s working on the 3rd set right now. I am thinking of having at least one of the sets black anodized so please report back when you know more .
Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

as far as cracking as others mentioned above,
I spoke with someone at Fikse a while back about using certain cleaners on the anodized wheels, and this person told me not to clean the anodized part with anything you would not use on your car paint

Quick Reply: Anodized wheels question