Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have an extra engine cooling fan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone have an extra engine cooling fan?

I want to powdercoat the fan on my C2S but dont want the car to be down for longer than a day. Does anyone have a 3.6 engine cooling fan lying around they could part with or offer as a swap?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coating fan

Hi this was the result of powder coating on my fan, the powder coating guys could offer no explanation, however the mechanics at JZM said that it could be heat related as they thought that the tips of the blades do get very hot due to friction, speed which kinda makes sense.

Name:  DSC_0788.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0789.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  49.7 KB
Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

who is going to make one out of carbon fiber? 10hp+
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Carbon would be a great option but what a complicated mold! I suspect the edges of the blades need to be something more than just CF and resin. Now a titanium fan would be the bomb..

Ash.Palin: Do you think the prep of the fan prior to powder coating might have been faulty? I know from looking at mine, the edges are prone to friction, but to the degree you have, I never would have suspected it.

Are the factory fans painted, coated or annodized? I am told by a few sources that they are annodized, yet they are not aluminum, are they?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi RS

The guys who do this do a lot of powder coating for our lighting equipment which includes various alloys and other metals and we haven't had this issue, so I think it's not a prep problem.

I understand that the fan is made of magnesium, I explained this to the guys and they said no problem and indeed the problem is only on the leading edge and not anywhere else.

I am going to try painting these edges and see what happens

Ash
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
Carbon would be a great option but what a complicated mold! I suspect the edges of the blades need to be something more than just CF and resin. Now a titanium fan would be the bomb..

Ash.Palin: Do you think the prep of the fan prior to powder coating might have been faulty? I know from looking at mine, the edges are prone to friction, but to the degree you have, I never would have suspected it.

Are the factory fans painted, coated or annodized? I am told by a few sources that they are annodized, yet they are not aluminum, are they?
The fans are magnesium. I've read quiet a few accounts where powdercoating one of these fans led to bubbles & such in the finish, as the magnesium is porous and thus outgasses during the baking stage?

Additionally, if a fan is given too thick of a powdercoat finish, the blades will most certainly rub within the housing. The clearance is minimal, but a fan should never rub. If a factory-coated fan rubs, either the alternator bearings are shot, or the fan bearing is worn out.

And lastly, I'd guess the factory finish is some sort of an epoxy-based paint. I've bead blasted around 20 of these...

Post your request on the 964 forum, as well as the 964/993 forum on Pelican - the fans are interchangable.

Andreas
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Cool. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Does anyone have an extra engine cooling fan?