Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a keeper 993...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Spidey 993

Because he wants a 100% original car. I get it, I'm going through that right now. I want to drive the car like it came from the factory (if thats possible).

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I share the sickness and I totally get it. What I don't get is why you would care about a set of pristine sports seats added after the fact...(?)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
Because he wants a 100% original car. I get it, I'm going through that right now. I want to drive the car like it came from the factory (if thats possible).
And that is where I always took the discussion when a far-out price was brought up in some of the for-sale threads. To some that always wanted a new 993 back then but couldn't swing it, this was now their chance to get a new one. Of course, the seller can then name his price.

You want original and unmolested...break out the wallet!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Spidey 993

^^^ I think Onami is willing to spend the money for the right car, original, and potentially the final car. The challenge won't be the money, it will be finding that "one" that fits all his requirements, and that he can pull into his garage and just be amazed by the fact he owns it. Thats a great feeling.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Thats a great feeling.
I know that feeling all too well.

It might be a good idea to post a "must have options" list followed by a "nice to have options" list.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,178 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Well, that excludes my car!! Good Luck!
For Sale?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

please proceed with caution...there r a few sellers on autotrader.com whom have listed 993s for sale with ridiculous prices...I contacted one last week and this seller mentions that he/she just recently divorced and that they need to sell the car cheap for cash quickly....but the car is out of state and you wud need to settle via paypal for delivery....obviously a fraud I think....
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 587 Posts

Thanks guys...I can see that some of you understand totally! I am an originality freak and always have been. I know muscle cars and Corvettes much better than Porsches and in those markets, the most valuable cars are the unrestored originals. I have had some really neat cars over the years - sub 30,000 mile 30 year old cars and focussed on judging in the unrestored classes in the NCRS in the 90's. Some of the notable cars I have owned include 9 of the 602 '67 Z-28's produced, '67 L78 Camaro, '67 Pace Car, '70 LS6 Chevelle, LT-1 and LS5 Corvettes, '67 L79 A/C Corvette Coupe, L78 Chevelle and a whole bunch more. I'm just applying the same passion to 993's now and can honeslty say that I get as much enjoyment out of the car when I'm looking at it in the garage as I do driving it. Some don't get this and I can understand that. But there are those out there just like me and I know you are smiling in agreement right now
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Spidey 993

^^^ I get it. Sometime I just open the door to the garage, and just shake my head in disbelief I own this car.

Onami, I have been toying with buying a Grand Sport, but starting to focus on a ZL-1 Camaro. Are they still charging crazy premiums over sticker for the new ones?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Yes, that will continue thru the summer. Hang out at camaro5.com and you will quickly learn when the deals start to happen. Just got my Car and Driver and Road and Track today in the mail and the ZL-1 is on the cover of both.

The 2010 GS cars with low miles are selling in the low $40's now...that is a lot of car for the money!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nah. Still dont get it. You are describing me 100%. I am on my 3rd 993 and I am an absolute stickler for originality. I have never done anything to one of my 993s that is not easily reversible. Standard seats slide right out of the car, and sport seats slide right in. If they are 100% OEM sport seats and pristine. I see nothing wrong with adding them (keeping the standard seats of course). The car that Harlan now drives was my first 993. He has some of the best sport seats available in there. They were purchased after the fact. I conditioned the originals and wrapped them up.

I get the originality thing. Just saying if you found the perfect car in every other way, I wouldnt let this one item stand in the way.

And by the way, join the club. There are several of us looking for the car Onami describes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Spidey 993

Onami wants to drive what's on the options sticker of the car that came from the factory. Nothing wrong with that, it's the purest form of originality. You don't have to get it in order for it to be a reality.

It's a bit of a wordsmith but i don't think Onami is wanting to change anything, regardless if it was made for the model 993, only for that particular car and that's what I respect as well.

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Nah. Still dont get it. You are describing me 100%. I am on my 3rd 993 and I am an absolute stickler for originality. I have never done anything to one of my 993s that is not easily reversible. Standard seats slide right out of the car, and sport seats slide right in. If they are 100% OEM sport seats and pristine. I see nothing wrong with adding them (keeping the standard seats of course). The car that Harlan now drives was my first 993. He has some of the best sport seats available in there. They were purchased after the fact. I conditioned the originals and wrapped them up.

I get the originality thing. Just saying if you found the perfect car in every other way, I wouldnt let this one item stand in the way.

And by the way, join the club. There are several of us looking for the car Onami describes

Last edited by Spidey 993; 02-01-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Never said there was anything wrong with it. Just that I dont get it. So.....ok, I dont get it, and that is alright...

We ARE looking for the same car though. Every one of my cars have been purchased 100% original Many will disagree, but I think it is the only way to buy a 993.

Finding a C2S that meets these criteria is a long-time process. I was looking for such a car when I couldnt pass up the color on my C2. If I found the right C2S, would still bite at it.

Happy hunting!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 82 Posts

Try Holt in West Chester, PA. He only has those type of cars.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They are out there. I found mine after about 3 months of hard looking. 17,700 miles and you could eat off the engine it was that clean. Solid history, perfect PPI, great seller (TEAM Motorsports - Corey). I saw one recently in CA on Autotrader I believe. 21k miles, sport seats, red. You just have to be willing to pay for an as-new, never modified version.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Like I said, my preferences come from my history with Muscle cars. In the MC world, cars with "added" options are frowned upon in general. In the old days, we added "SS" packages to our plain Jane cars and called them what they were...fake SS's Now they're called "clones" and "recreations" by those attempting to legitimize their cars. I still think they are "fakes" As for suspension upgrades etc., I'm OK with that, but I won't pay more for it as I am not specifically looking for that.

As far as modding goes, we did that back in the old days too and those cars are referred to as "Day 2" cars today. Many of our beloved 993's are in the Day 2 stage of their life cylce right now. Day 2 cars are great and I love them, but the real collectible cars are the unrestored originals. Those are the cars that I like best.

Quick Reply: Looking for a keeper 993...