Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 Valuation Assistance Please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 993 Valuation Assistance Please?

Hi all. I am a newcomer to the site. Previously owned a 912, 911SC, and 924 many years ago (before kids). Now, after raising a family and sending the kids off to college, I am looking to get into a 993.

I found a very nice, super clean, and low mileage 1996 C2 at a high end reputable new car Euro luxury dealer.

Color: Green metallic
Interior: gray supple leather
Miles: 45K

Has turbo twist wheels, newer tires, factory HiFi, heated power seats. It seems to be a stock automobile, except for it appears to be lowered. I closely examined all of the panels, and I think they are all original paint (at least can't find any evidence otherwise). Car drove fantastic. Carfax shows two owners on west coast, with last owner in possession for 12 years.

All seems good, but the big downside is that there are absolutely NO service records. Local Porsche dealer had nothing except for a printout of the original build sheet. Of course, I would get a thorough PPI, but realize that the lack of service records will detract from the value. The selling dealer said they will offer a 6-month warranty, but I don't know the details yet.

What would be a value range for this car, assuming there are no major issues with the PPI? Many thanks for reading this, and assisting with thoughts.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 PM
G$ 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'l start. 25-28K
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G$ 993
I'l start. 25-28K
It all starts with a good PPI; records are important but not an end all. What about the carfax; does that show any services? How about the maintenance book or asking your local Porsche dealer to run the VIN. Where did the current dealer get the car? If in a trade, have them contact the previous owner. If you dig a little you can usually find history on the car. If you're concerned about the "panels" as you put it, have a body shop put a paint meter on the car. It takes 30 seconds and will tell you quickly if all is original.

Regarding price, the market is strong and prices are going up, especially for lower mileage well cared for examples. With all due respect to G$ 993, the correct price is more in the $35-38k range, in the condition as you've described.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
the correct price is more in the $35-38k range, in the condition as you've described.
That's what the dealer will be asking, for sure.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960:9215606
Originally Posted by G$ 993
I'l start. 25-28K
ally for lower mileage well cared for examples. With all due respect to G$ 993, the correct price is more in the $35-38k range, in the condition as you've described.
W/o more service info 8 think the car would be $30-32k. You do not have evidence that the normal 993 issues have
been dealt with. A good ppi will be essential.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 AM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by ilko
That's what the dealer will be asking, for sure.
Yes, upper 30's, which would be ok with proper documentation.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:22 AM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
It all starts with a good PPI; records are important but not an end all. What about the carfax; does that show any services? How about the maintenance book or asking your local Porsche dealer to run the VIN. Where did the current dealer get the car? If in a trade, have them contact the previous owner. If you dig a little you can usually find history on the car. If you're concerned about the "panels" as you put it, have a body shop put a paint meter on the car. It takes 30 seconds and will tell you quickly if all is original.

Regarding price, the market is strong and prices are going up, especially for lower mileage well cared for examples. With all due respect to G$ 993, the correct price is more in the $35-38k range, in the condition as you've described.
Thanks very much for your input. PPI for absolute sure. Carfax shows no service information at all. Maintenance book is clean and completely blank. I am thinking the dealer ordered new books because they were missing. Dealer said they took on trade for new $95K car, but who knows? I have been digging, but have not yet found anything. The car was obviously well taken care of, so that is a positive.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 AM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by vincer77
W/o more service info 8 think the car would be $30-32k. You do not have evidence that the normal 993 issues have
been dealt with. A good ppi will be essential.
Thank you for your thoughts. I was thinking in the low 30's as well. Of course, assuming a strong PPI.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With no service records and no Carfax history one has no idea of actual mileage. Could be any number really (both the mileage and the valuation.)
Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 AM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
With no service records and no Carfax history one has no idea of actual mileage. Could be any number really (both the mileage and the valuation.)
Good point. Actually, there is a clear mileage history on the Carfax through registration and smog records. Don't know how reliable that is, but it is there.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:45 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blakecam
Good point. Actually, there is a clear mileage history on the Carfax through registration and smog records. Don't know how reliable that is, but it is there.
Oh, that's good. I took your previous statement to mean that there was no mileage history, but you stated service history.

You used the word "reputable" in the same sentence as "dealer." In this day and age does that even exist?

I'd do some further detective work and see if you can track down a previous owner or two, and go from there. You have specific cities listed on the Carfax, check with Indies and detailing shops and such...

And of course, a PPI is a must but you know that. Be sure to pick the best shop you can for the PPI.

Best of luck, and be sure to post up photos if you do pick it up.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
You used the word "reputable" in the same sentence as "dealer." In this day and age does that even exist?

I'd do some further detective work and see if you can track down a previous owner or two, and go from there. You have specific cities listed on the Carfax, check with Indies and detailing shops and such...

And of course, a PPI is a must but you know that. Be sure to pick the best shop you can for the PPI.

Best of luck, and be sure to post up photos if you do pick it up.
"reputable" in the same sentence as "dealer." Very good point. I don't trust them at all, that's why I am trying to get good advice from good people like you.

I tried to call the indy shops I could find in the area where it was registered, but no luck so far. Will keep snooping around.

I am working on the price now, so this will all be moot if I can't get the right figure to make it worth while.

Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you tried asking the dealer selling the car (who says they took it in on trade) to contact the previous owner and ask them what shop had been servicing the car? No issues with privacy, etc, since they aren't disclosing the PO's name, etc. You can then contact the shop and get service history.
That would save you a bunch of time and help them sell the car - win/win.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
Have you tried asking the dealer selling the car (who says they took it in on trade) to contact the previous owner and ask them what shop had been servicing the car? No issues with privacy, etc, since they aren't disclosing the PO's name, etc. You can then contact the shop and get service history.
That would save you a bunch of time and help them sell the car - win/win.
Yes, that was the first thing I asked them to do. They said they have left messages with the po, but has not returned the calls. This may be BS, but don't know for sure. They disclosed where the PO lives, and I made calls to indies in that area, but no luck finding anyone that knows the car. I don't know what to think at this point. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:40 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blakecam
They disclosed where the PO lives, and I made calls to indies in that area, but no luck finding anyone that knows the car. I don't know what to think at this point.
Do you know the PO's name. Is it with the paperwork/registration of the car. Dig deep into the records of the car. I bet there is at least one piece of paper with his name. Once you have his name go to whitepages.com and search for phone number. If unlisted and local go drive over to address around dinner time. Chances are if he's a Porsche guy he'd welcome the conversation.

Last thought; what region of PCA are you in; are you a PCA member? Easy enough to reach out to a few of the region's execs...the email addresses are posted in their respective club newsletters; ask them if they know the car.

Quick Reply: 993 Valuation Assistance Please?