Sponsored by:

Please help me find a 993!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please help me find a 993!

Since I will be moving back to Canada soon and will either sell or leave my '96 993 C2 in Germany, I'm on the hunt for a replacement. It would be nice to find one in Canada but will happily buy a U.S. car if the right one can be found. I've plagiarized the list from another post (thanks JPS) -I guess what I'm looking for is pretty similar to other 993 fanatics. OK, so in addition to the usual mandatory Porsche buyer's requirements here's what I'm looking for:

Must haves:
  • I prefer the narrow body C2, but would consider a C2S. MUST be a Vario Ram engine ('96-'98). But, I would also consider a Twin Turbo.
  • Manual only -NO Tips.
  • NO Targas. NO Cabs.
  • Prefer 'average' mileage. I'm not looking for a concurs winner or a garage queen. The car will be dual use fast road and track (track days only, not Club race -yet). Furthermore, I will modify it with suspension, G50/21 transmission (I will bring one with me from Germany), euro turbo nose, etc.
  • Prefer NO Sunroof
  • Not that fussy about the exterior color but I would prefer something 'racey' like yellow, white or jelly bean blue. The only color I really don't like is Arena Red (sorry )
  • Interior color: black with full leather dash. Other colors are WAY down the desirability list.
  • NO fiberglass body kits or wings. Prefer all stock or OEM parts.

Nice to haves:
  • I prefer tasteful Rennlist-oriented mods vs. pure stock (as per my sig line): wheels, suspension, exhaust, steering wheel, ideally tranny/LSD (otherwise I'll swap it out), LWF, Goldenrod, seats (but will not pay a huge premium for things like sport seats as I have a set or RS/speedster seats).
  • Euro Turbo nose and bumper
  • Nice 17" wheels (I have a spare set of MY02 18")

*If anyone already has a track prepared car I would also be very interested!

Please PM me if you have my new car.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 AM
alexl911
Pro

Just to make this even more difficult I forgot to mention that I would really prefer to have the full leather interior, just like my current car
Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 200 Posts

I believe Canada has a 15 year import rule which means you could just ship your ROW car there. And by your sig it looks like your car is a keeper.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 AM
alexl911
Pro

Yes, all it means that I don't have to go via the RIV process. However, my research tells me that I will still have to pay Duty (on anything over $10K) and possibly will need to change a few items. When it's all said and done, I estimate it will cost me at least $5KCdn to get it home and registered. Now my car is worth 40K euro (on the low side) in Germany That's about $51KCdn. So the question is what can I buy for around $60KCdn?? I know I can get a garage queen 993C2S or even a real nice '04GT3 (from the U.S.) -a car I've been lusting after but just can't pull the trigger on as it would mean not driving a proper air cooled Porsche Considering I want to do more track driving the GT3 is a much better option and a certain future classic!

This is all being discussed here:https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...3-with-me.html
Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM
alexl911
Pro

Quick update: Thanks for all the tips and leads on cars from fellow Rennlister's. I've now come to the conclusion that I'm going to switch gears and fulfill my long time wish for a GT3 (probably an '06). However, if the right 993 comes along it will be difficult to pass up!

Quick Reply: Please help me find a 993!