993 Forum 1995-1998

Bend Pak oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM
NOTCH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bend Pak oil change

Guys i'm going to do my first oil change with my new Bend pak scissor lift and it looks very tight to the drain in the right rocker, anything special you guys use? a special funnel maybe?

Tia
Roger
Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger, there is a "funnel" product called form-a-funnel that works well.
you will want the larger one

The funnel s a thin, rubberized sheet of a soft metal. Allows you to get it under there and shape it as you need.
Works great to get around lift arms.
Various auto parts stores carry them. Napa, for example. They also sell it online

you will still need to drain at a relatively slow pace... That tank can be a gusher!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Mark's suggestion is a good one, and I keep forgetting to get one of those.

But, I've done mine on my BP lift, and there is no problem. Just cheat the car back a bit to clear the side drain. You can eyeball that you'll be good before you lift.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Roger,

I know you must be eager to use that new lift, but unless your 993 is very low, you can drain the oil tank without raising the car at all. In fact, I think it is easier, and less oil splatter. I just lie down next to the car on an old towel, remove the right rocker cover, slip my catch pan under the drain, and remove the plug. You can also change the big filter this way.

I don't jack the car up to drain the engine either. I slide a catch pan under, position an old pie tin (Marie Calendar's lemon meringue works best) to direct the oil flow downward, and remove the plug.

After all is drained, plugs back in place, then I jack the rear of the car and put it on stands to change the engine oil filter.

At least for me, this is the easiest/cleanest way to do an oil change. But then I don't have a shiny new Bend-Pak handy.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

No fun in that.....laying on the creeper looking up at the bottom of the car on the lift while doing the oil is what it is about.

Seriously, changing the oil on the lift allows you to raise and lower throughout the process depending on whether you need access to the engine filter (higher), or are actually draining oil (lower). The best of both worlds.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Easiest/fastest way to change oil with bendpak midrise is to drive up on your ramps... use floor jack on rear of car at engine just to point where rear wheels are off ground (remember to chock the front wheels)... remove psg rear wheel and place drain pan on ramp... drain oil and replace plug/filter... then raise lift up to full height... and then do the rest. it can be done in less then 30 minutes. (no matter what type of funnel or contraption i've tried with the car on the lift... oil always gets all over the lift arms... so this mechanism keeps the area clear, with easy access and neat without any messy cleanup afterwards)
Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM
NOTCH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are the best!!

Thanx for the help..

Roger
Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Another option

Here

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

^^??^^
Old 01-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree except for one thing; Marie Calendar's Razzleberry is far superior to the lemon meringue tin.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
^^??^^
Kind of a tall jack stand, after raising the car on the lift, put this near the right/rear wheel, raise it up (or lower the lift) just enough to allow the Bend Pak arm to swing out of the way, then drop the oil. After oil drained from thermostat, return BP arm and reverse procedure.

I don't have one but I understand the purpose. IIRC Mike J. has one of the taller ones.

Used in conjunction with this: this I do have.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Kind of a tall jack stand, after raising the car on the lift, put this near the right/rear wheel, raise it up (or lower the lift) just enough to allow the Bend Pak arm to swing out of the way, then drop the oil. After oil drained from thermostat, return BP arm and reverse procedure.

I don't have one but I understand the purpose. IIRC Mike J. has one of the taller ones.

Used in conjunction with this: this I do have.
I see, but I still contend one can orient the car on the lift so it isn't an issue.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

I don't use a special or any funnel at all.

In your case, I'd lift your car up a foot, release the back half of the rocker cover and hold it clear of the car and drain your oil tank into a low profile recycling bin. They're sturdy and cheap at under five-bucks.

What I use...no spills, no mess...

Quick Reply: Bend Pak oil change