Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm moving back to Canada -should I bring my 993 with me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of really good advice...thanks! The consensus seems to be that I should just sell it... especially if I have to spend even more time and hassle to legalize it for Canada. Here are my thoughts:

RE:

Gearbox: I have a G50/21 -did not put it in my signature as it came stock in Germany This is a big factor in persuading me to keep the car. However, I could simply source a new gearbox with motorsport LSD etc. and just bring that back with me. Maybe I should actually bring a couple of them as they would probably fetch a good price!

Mods: I have the original wheel carriers, seats, cat, turbo twist wheels which I could swap back but that would cost extra labor. I prefer to just re-buy if needed. I'm still not sure if I would now go to a 964 or stay with a 993 (sorry). For sure I will bring my RS seats as they are uber rare!!

C2S/4S vs C2: I know that I could get an 'S' in U.S./Canada but I think I still prefer the narrow body so the price difference seems even greater. This give me even more room to fall down the slippery slope (again). I would build a more 'club sport' track focused car. BTW. 'S' cars they are getting quite rare in Germany so they are about 10K euro more than a C2.

Importing & U.S. cars: Yeah, I have no problem getting a new car in the U.S. 993s in Canada a few and far between but you never know, I may get lucky. As for the import duty -certainly this is a factor to consider but I alone would not make or break my decision.

Long-Term: Does anyone (seriously) think that 993's will go up in value like 356's or early 70's 911's have recently? A nice '72 911S now can fetch around $100K... I remember not too long ago when you could by one for $20K. This was my initial thought about why I should be keeping it.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

You've just opened a can of worms with all of those comments and questions. Value in the future...yes I feel the widebody cars will continue to hold value or increase due to exports and low production numbers.

Narrow body cars will become valuable too but not to the same extent as the widebodies unless its a RS of course...

I'd call Canada customs and see what they say about declaring the car as personal goods. One thing to remember when returning is declaring all assets the minute you go to customs. There's a form to fill out declaring your cash and assets; perhaps the 993 can be included. Having lived in Dubai for the past 7 years I'd be keen to know whether the car will be considered without duties...

Here's a helpful website:

http://kurucz.ca/expatrepat/index.html
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Alex,
Since I kind of recently moved the other way, from the US to Germany, I sold everything but the house and almost immediately did I loose the relation to all of the material stuff that I cared and cherished for so long. It's a fresh start and you won't even think about the car, needless to say what gearbox its got and other values that bug your mind right now.
If you go back to Germany on a somewhat regular bases, keep the car as you'll be close to the mountains and the car and you will be happy for the duration you're there.
If you don't need the money, leave it locked up and pull it out when needed otherwise the answer is easy. The funds will get you and your family the needed start to a new life, or it might keep your mind more at ease if you have to rely on your savings for a bit longer until everything's in gear. Ultimately, you want to look forward and don't evaluate the moment. You already live in it. The new step in life is what counts and
I doubt you will have time to think about what used to be.
We can further discuss over a beer when you're around the next time.
Ed
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 AM
alexl911
Pro

Originally Posted by EckFe1
Hey Alex,
Since I kind of recently moved the other way, from the US to Germany, I sold everything but the house and almost immediately did I loose the relation to all of the material stuff that I cared and cherished for so long. It's a fresh start and you won't even think about the car, needless to say what gearbox its got and other values that bug your mind right now.
If you go back to Germany on a somewhat regular bases, keep the car as you'll be close to the mountains and the car and you will be happy for the duration you're there.
If you don't need the money, leave it locked up and pull it out when needed otherwise the answer is easy. The funds will get you and your family the needed start to a new life, or it might keep your mind more at ease if you have to rely on your savings for a bit longer until everything's in gear. Ultimately, you want to look forward and don't evaluate the moment. You already live in it. The new step in life is what counts and
I doubt you will have time to think about what used to be.
We can further discuss over a beer when you're around the next time.
Ed
Good points Ed! While I don't 'need' the money it would certainly be hard to justify keeping a Porsche in Germany, which will be driven at most a couple of days a year AND one in Canada. It would be cheaper just to rent one while I'm over there (or just drive yours !!!) The hardest part of all this is not having one in its natural environment. I will never forget our road trips and hopefully there will be more in the future.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

www.riv.ca

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - website info
Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 PM
alexl911
Pro

From my understanding cars older than 15years are exempt from the RIV process? My 993 is a '96
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alex:

If I owned your car, with it's exquisite colour and desirable Euro transmission, I would export it into Canada. Sure, you can find another 993 in North America, but it would be a lot of effort to find one as nice as yours in that colour, and the process is not without risk. And then the cost to re gear a G50/20 would be huge. Also, with the number of miles on it, you should be able to come up with a value for it, that will minimize the tax and duty.

AFAIK, the RIV website only applies to vehicles imported from the U.S., but my understanding from my research is that cars older than 15 years are exempt from having to conform to Canadian build regulations. I would check with a Canadian customs broker to be safe. The 15 years is calculated from the month that a car is built, but as yours is a 1996, the month of build would be moot.

Last edited by Rinty; 01-30-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:14 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 474 Posts

Just saw this......what did you decide?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

I'm also curious as to what was decided and/or what the Canadian Government said about "personal belongings"...
Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...what the Canadian Government said about "personal belongings"...CamsPorsche
According to the Canada Border Services website, a returning non resident Canadian can bring with them such personal and household items as are set on on the website list, including personal use motor vehicles, tax and duty free, provided that any single item will be taxed and dutied on its value exceeding $10,000.

Motor vehicles from Europe that are older than 15 years may be imported, and do not have to meet Transport Canada safety and build requirements.

So it would seem that importing Alexl's car would be easy peasy.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are asking here that means you really want to take it with you.
--Joe

Quick Reply: I'm moving back to Canada -should I bring my 993 with me?