Sponsored by:

sub-strap install for 6pt harness w/ brey krause R-9035

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:33 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sub-strap install for 6pt harness w/ brey krause R-9035

Okidokey, finally getting around to installing seats and harnesses -- I have the brey krause anti-sub mount for the car:

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9035.php

but the schroth 6pt harness I have jus says "mount a minimum of 20deg rearward and 2" to 3" left and right of centerline"

It would be easy to clip to the thin bar that looks like a handle, but then there is nothing to keep the sub straps 2-3" from the centerline? Perhaps some rollbar padding zip tied there to keep them apart?

I could drill and tap the bar to install the eyelets that came with the harness, but that seems to defeat the whole purpose of getting something already fabed that is suppoed to work out of the box.

Any ideas about how best to mount the anti-sub straps to the bk mount?

Thanks,

-reiner
Old 01-01-2012, 05:25 AM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reiner, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. The two cut outs in the bottom of the seat for the sub belts should keep the belts aligned on the bar that you are clipping to. Give BK tech support a call to check. They have been great to deal with in my past experience.

Dan
Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not be too concerned about it either. I had the same questions as you when I installed mine. What I did was cut off the small handles and grind them smooth. As it turns out, the holes in my pole positions did not really allow for the 2-3 inch spread of the two sub belts anyway so the way the belts came through the bottom, the little handle was right smack in the way anyway. You will also find that the way that the Schroth belts are designed, they will keep just enough spread to keep your boys safe and more comfortable. I wrapped the two sub belts around the sub bar just as you would do for the two shoulder straps belts on the roll bar or whatever you have back there. The initial install is tricky under the seats but with some needle nose or small fingers, they can be threaded as they should around the BK bars and up through the seat hole. I would not drill through the bars at all as that would weaken them. It is tight under there-especially the passenger side- but it is doable. I just cleared the boxes under the seats by about a quarter inch or so. I think your idea about some roll bar padding in between the two belts is a good one but I am not sure it is necessary and there might be a clearance issue with that-either the seat rubbing on it (not sure if you are doing sliders or not) or clearing the DME box mounted to the floor. Good luck with the install!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:59 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ReinerFink
Okidokey, finally getting around to installing seats and harnesses -- I have the brey krause anti-sub mount for the car:

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9035.php

but the schroth 6pt harness I have jus says "mount a minimum of 20deg rearward and 2" to 3" left and right of centerline"

It would be easy to clip to the thin bar that looks like a handle, but then there is nothing to keep the sub straps 2-3" from the centerline? Perhaps some rollbar padding zip tied there to keep them apart?

I could drill and tap the bar to install the eyelets that came with the harness, but that seems to defeat the whole purpose of getting something already fabed that is suppoed to work out of the box.

Any ideas about how best to mount the anti-sub straps to the bk mount?

Thanks,

-reiner
Hi Reiner

I just went through this a few months ago, I tried a few different set ups with the BK sub strap mount. Not liking any of them I did some more research and decided that it was best to wrap the harness around the sub strap mount. To do this you will need to remove the LV4 clips from the two sub straps on the harness and buy 4 LV 10 flat bar slides (2 per seat) and just wrap them as you do for the shoulder straps on the roll bar. I think it's impossible to get the 3" spread using the sub strap mount from BK, my install required no cutting or drilling of the BK sub bar. FYI HMS motorsport has a few good videos on how to install and wrap the harnesses on YouTube, good luck.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Thanks all -- I have the seats out and I have been test fitting some things so I'll see what direction I want to go (either wrapping them with longer slides or doing something else).

-reiner

Quick Reply: sub-strap install for 6pt harness w/ brey krause R-9035