Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Seattle Help - Anyone experienced in bolt extraction???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:45 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seattle Help - Anyone experienced in bolt extraction???

Throwing up an APB for a little help here..

I'm a pretty seasoned amateur wrench but one thing I've managed to never need to do is extract broken bolts..and I've run in to some seized fasteners on the left side of the engine (two for the engine shroud, one intake bolt, and the engine tin bolt on the AC bracket). They're all broken off flush. Irony being yesterday I was at the parts store looking at the bolt extractors thinking "I wonder if I should pick up a set of those..naaaaaahhh"

The stakes are pretty high here for me so if I could get some help I would certainly be grateful! I am on vacation until the 3rd and this is all I've got on my agenda, so my schedule is totally open..thanks in advance!!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:27 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi There

Bolt extractors are a waste of time in my humble opinion, and not worth the risk as after they have broken off you cannot drill them out and are then fully stuffed.

I would drill them out. With reverse drill bits if possible. Make up a jig if you can find something suitable. This is one I made up when doing a couple of snapped exhaust studs (on my back under the car). It was part of a plastic jig sold for drilling in wood.

Berni
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Travis,

If you can get a drill down there, use a reverse drill bit. They are sold at Tacoma Screw. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Travis, shave the tops of the broken bolts flush and center punch them as accurately as possible. Take your time as this is very important for the next step.

Those are M6 bolts, so the tap drill is 5 mm. I'd start with a 1/16" drill bit and drill it straight; if you have a drill block use it. Then use a 1/8" drill bit, then a 3/16" drill bit which is equal to 4.76 mm. Do not break a drill bit off in the process...take your time. Now try to unscrew the broken off bolt. If you can, with a pointed awl, punch the edges of what is left of the threaded wall inwards to relieve pressure.

You might try striking a pin punch to the top of the broken bolt to set up a vibration. Use some PB blaster as well.

If things do not go as well as hoped, use a Time-Sert. They are an excellent thread repair system.

Last edited by IXLR8; 12-28-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Travis,
Great advice already given. I too would stay away from traditional bolt extractors. In theory they make sense, but I've broken my share over the years. That's when the real fun starts...

Andreas
Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I too would stay away from traditional bolt extractors. In theory they make sense, but I've broken my share over the years. That's when the real fun starts...

Andreas
Don't I know it. I once used a bolt extractor over 35 years ago...and never again. It snapped off in the drilled out stud. I did get the bolt extractor out (they cannot be drilled out) by using a very small tip on a torch and burned it out.

And for the record, my helper broke the bolt in the first place.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
luvH2O
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

center punch and drill center of remaining bolt is good advice
you can use a smaller bit though. Gives more room for error

once the center is gone, they normally move easily
just take it slow. Not a bad idea to use something as a cutting oil. This lessens the chance of the drill bit breaking, which is about as bad as an extractor break.
though, quality extractors are pretty tough if treated properly

the extractor might come in handy after it is drilled out, just to thread out the outer bolt remnants

good luck to ya

Quick Reply: Seattle Help - Anyone experienced in bolt extraction???