993 Brembo 355 x 32 mm Brake kit some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:01 PM
RAB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Brembo 355 x 32 mm Brake kit some questions

Hi there,
I picked a front brake kit in 355 x 32 mm that came of a 993 Turbo 450 hp.

I run on my 993 RS CS look turbo brakes front and rear with the TT valve at the ABS.

I have a couple of question.

The 993 RS dustcover will not fit, is there anywhere one I can use or do I need to make it myself or just leave it off?

Where can I get replacement rotors best would be drilled like the Turbo?

Do I need to change the brake valve on the pipe for the rear or can I leave the Turbo valve?

Hope you guys can help me
Richard

Here is picture. I just test installed it I think the rotor is mixed up on the side. On the Speedline they only clear with 15 mm spacers.
Attached Images   
Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice brake setup....

You can leave the splash guards off if you want, there is nothing available so you would have to make your own if you wanted them.

Rotors are available from a number of sources in the US, and cross drilled are available. Do you track your car at all? If you do I would stick with the slotted rotors.

On most slotted rotors the slots run the opposite direction of the internal vanes in the disc. Just make sure the vanes in the rotor are pointed forward towards the front of the car (looking at the top of the rotor.)

If you have RS rears this will move the brake bias closer to the front than with an RS setup. Based on some data I have you will still have better front/rear bias than the TT. I would leave the rest of the brake system alone and install the new setup and enjoy.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:59 PM
RAB
Banned

Originally Posted by trophy
Nice brake setup....

You can leave the splash guards off if you want, there is nothing available so you would have to make your own if you wanted them.

Rotors are available from a number of sources in the US, and cross drilled are available. Do you track your car at all? If you do I would stick with the slotted rotors.

On most slotted rotors the slots run the opposite direction of the internal vanes in the disc. Just make sure the vanes in the rotor are pointed forward towards the front of the car (looking at the top of the rotor.)

If you have RS rears this will move the brake bias closer to the front than with an RS setup. Based on some data I have you will still have better front/rear bias than the TT. I would leave the rest of the brake system alone and install the new setup and enjoy.

Well I got the Kit today from a local shop. He gave me a price that I couldn't resist. I just fitted them to see it they even clear my wheel so I haven't bleed or installed the hose on the brake.

I do track the car often but only 15-30 min track time.

Well the slotted rotor does have some life left. But I thought to have the same look front and rear. But if you say only crossed drilled rotor exist still would look different.

In the rear I have the Turbo brake with the Turbo valve.

Can you mention some sources since I come often to the US?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 12-28-2011, 07:04 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Sounds like you have a kit from something other than a 993 turbo that was adapted to fit. The rotors and calipers from the turbo should be a direct swap. Dust shields and Speedlines should fit as-is. I would talk to the original owner and find out what the kit is and what they had to do to get it to work.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAB
Well I got the Kit today from a local shop. He gave me a price that I couldn't resist. I just fitted them to see it they even clear my wheel so I haven't bleed or installed the hose on the brake.

I do track the car often but only 15-30 min track time.

Well the slotted rotor does have some life left. But I thought to have the same look front and rear. But if you say only crossed drilled rotor exist still would look different.

In the rear I have the Turbo brake with the Turbo valve.

Can you mention some sources since I come often to the US?

Thanks,
Richard
If you are looking for cross-drilled rotors I don't know of any source other than Porsche or Zimmerman.... But since you track the car the slotted setup you have will last many times longer than the crossdrilled.

For your current setup, you would only replace the rotor ring itself. The hubs are probably $700us to replace. To replace the ring, you need to know what goes with the hub (previous owner would know).... Or see if you can find a part number or manufacturer stamped on them.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
RAB
Banned

Originally Posted by jscott82
Sounds like you have a kit from something other than a 993 turbo that was adapted to fit. The rotors and calipers from the turbo should be a direct swap. Dust shields and Speedlines should fit as-is. I would talk to the original owner and find out what the kit is and what they had to do to get it to work.
The Speedline are already a close fit with the 322 mm and the 355 mm brakes clear without a problem on the OZ Alleggerita without spacers. The dust cover scrapes on the lip since it is 16.5 mm larger on each side.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAB
The Speedline are already a close fit with the 322 mm and the 355 mm brakes clear without a problem on the OZ Alleggerita. The dust cover scrapes on the lip since it is 16.5 mm larger on each side.

Thanks,
Richard
I did this swap (turbo calipers and rotors) on my previous car, and yes it was very close to the Speedlines but they should fit without any issues or other modifications. From the purple color of the hubs, I would guess these came off a serious track car and looks to be a custom setup rather than OEM. This is probably a good thing, it looks like a great setup.

Best of luck to you

Last edited by jscott82; 03-19-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 PM
RAB
Banned

Originally Posted by jscott82
I did this swap (turbo calipers and rotors) on my previous car, and yes it was very close to the Speedlines but they should fit without any issues or other modifications. From the purple color of the hubs, I would guess these came off a serious track car and looks to be a custom setup rather than OEM. This is probably a good thing, it looks like a great setup.

Best of luck to you
The Speedline wheels fit wit the Turbo 322 mm brake without a problem. Well I said 355 mm rotor I don't know any 993 with 355 mm brakes so yes it is not stock so trying to get everyting setup with these rotors. The 993 EVO had 380mm rotor in front not sure but I also belive the 993 RSR.

Richard
Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 397 Posts

Find out who made the kit, not all rotors are interchangeable they can have different bolt patterns and o/s

you can use up to 380mm rotors in most modern 18" wheels

try it w/ the stock p/v in place if you have too much front you can trim w/ different pads and as a last resort change the p/v

nothing wrong w/ slotted front and drilled rears, the slotted fronts will last longer than drilled equivalents.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

ah... sorry... I though you were trying to say this was a stock setup off a turbo, I totally missed the 355mm part... forget everything I said...

But you sill need to know the specs of the existing rotor setup so you can find the right replacement parts.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 PM
RAB
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Find out who made the kit, not all rotors are interchangeable they can have different bolt patterns and o/s

try it w/ the stock p/v in place if you have too much front you can trim w/ different pads and as a last resort change the p/v

nothing wrong w/ slotted front and drilled rears, the slotted fronts will last longer than drilled equivalents.
Bill,

Looks like the kit from Brembo with the spacer adapter. I did get Pagid blue pads with them. Will see since it be month before I can see a track but I guess I could bleed the system an try them out on the road since the winter hasn't really arrived yet.

Richard
Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it is a true Brembo 355 Kit, contact these guys for your rotor options.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Brembo/Consumables.htm
Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Richard,

With the 355mm Brembo kit you have, how tight is the caliper clearance with the speedlines on? Do you need a 15mm spacer to get them to fit at all? My understanding is that if you go any bigger than the standard 322mm big reds, you need spacers if you are running speedlines.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM
RAB
Banned

Originally Posted by Viggo
Richard,

With the 355mm Brembo kit you have, how tight is the caliper clearance with the speedlines on? Do you need a 15mm spacer to get them to fit at all? My understanding is that if you go any bigger than the standard 322mm big reds, you need spacers if you are running speedlines.
Yes, without the 15 mm spacers they would not fit. Mabe 11 mm spacer would work to. But the previos owner of the Speedline installed 40 mm bolts even right now it not a 100 % fit. I will rebuild the Speedline over the winter and the install original bolts or 35 mm stainless bolts. Then I will see if I get 11 mm spacer an if they could fit.

And Cup 2 7x17 will not fit, 1 mm material would need to be removed from the brake.

Richard
Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
But just barely Bill; just barely. At least with these wheels.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 993 Brembo 355 x 32 mm Brake kit some questions